Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2020-21: The Final Covid-19 Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Suns beat Philly today in a matinee.

Booker killed Green early, then Simmons late. Big shot after big shot. He also defended a little.

Simmons was dominant early, then disappeared almost completely. Phoenix had no answer for Embiid early or late.

Dario Saric makes Phoenix a better club. He had four steals today, including two of Embiid. Four assists, 15 points. It was a good game for him.
    That was key. They need him. There are rumors that Philly will acquire Nemanja Bjelica from the Kings in an attempt to approximate the element that Saric once provided for them.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    That was key. They need him. There are rumors that Philly will acquire Nemanja Bjelica from the Kings in an attempt to approximate the element that Saric once provided for them.
    Bjelica as a shooter to pair with either Simmons or Embiid makes all kind of sense.

I'm guessing it'd cost Thybulle or Maxey, as Bjelica has a couple of suitors. (Miami being the other.)

Bjelica as a shooter to pair with either Simmons or Embiid makes all kind of sense.

I'm guessing it'd cost Thybulle or Maxey, as Bjelica has a couple of suitors. (Miami being the other.)
    If the Sixers acquired Bjelica, it'd be to insert him off the bench because with Milton out, it's painfully obvious that bench scoring is the weak link. Bjelica's played one game since January 9th. After coming back from injury, he's fallen out of the Kings rotation. I likely would, and should, cost a whole lot less than an actual player for him unless Buddy Hield is also on the way.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2021)

So LeBron got warned for flopping in the Memphis game. The play that earned him the warning is on video. I lost a lot of respect for LBJ from viewing that video. I never saw MJ do anything like that.

From Philly's standpoint, it's likely going to take something like Scott, Ferguson and a 2nd rounder in exchange for Bjellica and Justin James. Sacramento isn't tanking, so there's a chance - I'm not suggesting that it's a great chance - that Scott and Ferguson could be of use until their contracts expire at season's end.

Miami really should focus on acquiring another defensive oriented wing. It's a plus if it's an actual 3-and-D forward, someone like Jae Crowder (not that the Suns will deal him). Riley really screwed the pooch by resigning Leonard (who's out for the season) and signing Avery Bradley and Harkless, while allowing Crowder to move on.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Nets beat the Warriors, 134 - 117.

This was among Harden's best games in Brooklyn, IMO. As a PG, he's a preternatural passer, able to see plays in advance. I think you have to live with his occasional me-first nights and high TO rate. He's a savant at individual one-on-one moves, but he has to have the ball in his hands to be his best. Irving often does not-- he learned how to play off the ball with LeBron in Cleveland. This frees Kyrie to just make moves to the hole, simplifying what he has to do. Attack the goal relentlessly. He was dominant last night.

With Jordan out, I like what Nash has done with Durant at center. He recognizes that, for now, the Nets are just going to have to outscore teams. Having Durant (and Jeff Green) at center makes that possible. As a bonus, it allows Brown to play more.

That, theoretically, should make Brooklyn a more complete team. Brown defending other teams' best backcourt player means Harden and Irving don't have to. Unfortunately for the Nets. Brown hasn't really shown much defensive acumen this season. Nor has Green. Harris has been a disaster. Brooklyn's role players-- those guys plus Shamet, Tyler Johnson, and Green-- should be better than they've been on the defensive end. Durant and Harden have been bad, but not any worse than the rest of the team. That may fall back on Nash (and, by extension, his more experienced coaching staff).

It'll be fascinating to watch how the Nets attack that deficiency in the playoffs. Possessions get longer and progressively harder. With Durant, Harden, and Irving, they have guys who can score at all three levels even against the best defenses in the league. Harris is an elite shooter on the wing too.

They need a better defensive center. Andre Drummond makes the most sense, but the only way to get there is to deal half the Net team-- and even that's a poor return for what Drummond provides.

Who'd say no to a Hassan Whiteside and Cory Joseph for Landry Shamet and Spencer Dinwiddie deal?

The Kings get rid of some salary for next season and lose a backup center. They get some upside in Shamet and the Bird rights to Dinwiddie. He has a player option he may exercise anyway, due to his second ACL injury scaring off some teams. Even if he doesn't, Sacramento can spend some coin on Dinwiddie as a versatile backcourt guy to play with Fox, Hield, and Haliburton in what would probably become a top 5 backcourt in the league.

The Nets get capable vets who've been there before. Whiteside's been a knucklehead in the past, but he's got talent in spades. Pairing him with Jordan might make both players better. Or it could totally blow up. Whatever happens, it'd be fun to see.

Who'd say no to a Hassan Whiteside and Cory Joseph for Landry Shamet and Spencer Dinwiddie deal?

The Kings get rid of some salary for next season and lose a backup center. They get some upside in Shamet and the Bird rights to Dinwiddie. He has a player option he may exercise anyway, due to his second ACL injury scaring off some teams. Even if he doesn't, Sacramento can spend some coin on Dinwiddie as a versatile backcourt guy to play with Fox, Hield, and Haliburton in what would probably become a top 5 backcourt in the league.

The Nets get capable vets who've been there before. Whiteside's been a knucklehead in the past, but he's got talent in spades. Pairing him with Jordan might make both players better. Or it could totally blow up. Whatever happens, it'd be fun to see.
    Though I'm not the biggest Shamet fan, I love that trade idea for both teams. But without Whiteside, Sacto would be thin at center behind Holmes. To that end, I'd try to expand the deal by including one of the Kings' young prospects (for lack of a better term), such as Ramsey, Woodard II or Justin James in exchange for Nicolas Claxton.

One thing's for certain, the loss of Dinwiddie is huge for Brooklyn, and the NBA talking heads continue to gloss over it.

The Stoudamire comparison may be a stretch at this point. But from what little I've seen of Toppin as a pro, he sort of reminds me of a young Terry Cummings, and that's not too shabby. I truly question why Cummings hasn't gotten the call from the Hall of Fame.

Then again, it's taken the HOF years to finally induct Jack Sikma and Sidney Moncrief who were no-brainers.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Cummings was before my time - I'll have to watch some clips. I'm excited to see Toppin's progression the rest of the season now that he's 100% again and playing a little less jittery. Randle's name has come up in trade discussions, but barring a total collapse from the Knicks, I don't see him going anywhere.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Cummings was before my time - I'll have to watch some clips. I'm excited to see Toppin's progression the rest of the season now that he's 100% again and playing a little less jittery. Randle's name has come up in trade discussions, but barring a total collapse from the Knicks, I don't see him going anywhere.
    Nor should he.

Randle's playing at an All-Star level for the first time in his career.

You keep those guys. (Especially since there's no way you can replace the production or get what he provides in a deal.)

Nor should he.

Randle's playing at an All-Star level for the first time in his career.

You keep those guys. (Especially since there's no way you can replace the production or get what he provides in a deal.)
    Agreed.

The Knicks may use some small-ball lineups while center Mitchell Robinson is sidelined with a fractured hand, writes Steve Popper of Newsday. The team is planning a group effort to replace Robinson, who anchors the defense with 1.5 blocks, 1.2 steals, and 8.4 rebounds per game. Nerlens Noel will likely become the starter, with Taj Gibson seeing increased playing time, but coach Tom Thibodeau is willing to use Julius Randle in the middle beside Kevin Knox or Obi Toppin.
    And the Knicks may be adding at the deadline. Given the schizophrenic nature of the East contenders, it makes sense.

The Knicks have plenty of assets on hand and the new front office is willing to package several of them in return for a star player, sources tell Stefan Bondy of The New York Daily News. One possible target is Wizards guard Bradley Beal if he changes his mind about wanting to stay in Washington. An unidentified general manager tells Bondy it would likely take three first-round picks, two pick swaps, a young player and an expiring contract to land Beal. Rockets guard Victor Oladipo and Bulls guard Zach LaVine have also been mentioned as possibilities if the Knicks don’t want to pay that price.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/02/...-quickley.html

The Celtics need to figure their game out and fast. They need reliable 4-5-6 scorers and they've got to take the defense up a notch. I'd say a 13-13 record counts as a crisis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-14-2021),Revering4Blue (02-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So LeBron got warned for flopping in the Memphis game. The play that earned him the warning is on video. I lost a lot of respect for LBJ from viewing that video. I never saw MJ do anything like that.
    Compared to most Stars in the league, LeBron generally has avoided doing that too much during his career. Yes, he whines when he wants a call sometimes, but at least it's not all he does on every play like so many do (Chris Paul, James Harden,...the list is long).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The Stoudamire comparison may be a stretch at this point. But from what little I've seen of Toppin as a pro, he sort of reminds me of a young Terry Cummings, and that's not too shabby. I truly question why Cummings hasn't gotten the call from the Hall of Fame.

Then again, it's taken the HOF years to finally induct Jack Sikma and Sidney Moncrief who were no-brainers.
    Didn't help that his first years were wasted as a Clipper.

Cummings was among the first group of players who were big and had no holes or weaknesses. He was above average in every aspect of the game, making his total game elite. He wasn't ever the best at anything, he was just really good at everything.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

20. Likes:

M2 (02-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?