Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2021 Prognostication: Low A Daytona Roster (The Offense)

2021 Prognostication: Low A Daytona Roster (The Offense)

Who makes the roster for the 'Tugas?

There is an immense number of players from which to choose. Two draft classes, three feeder teams, plus a bunch of NDFAs and Rule 5 guys.

Lots to figure out here. Let's begin with the offense.

Hitters
    I'm assuming the Reds are looking to start experienced players in low A Daytona and that the league as a whole will skew older (at least for the beginning of the season). I'm also assuming they're going to be pretty conservative about the year off-- Cincinnati's going to put these guys, for the most part, where they would have been had the pandemic not hit. As a result, with the exception of Austin Hendrick, all of these guys have been in the Reds' system for at least a year and are going to be old for what the typical low A prospect might be. If there's an issue, I'm guessing the older player moves up to a higher level to challenge him a bit.

That leaves you with the following everyday lineup:
    RF Austin Hendrick [19]
    Why is he here: Hendrick got a taste of pro ball at Prasco and in Instructs last season, so he should be good to move up. He's a top prospect, so they'll want to see what they have in him. (This assumes no swing changes need to be made.)

LF Wendell Marrero [20]
    Lost a bit in the pandemic shuffle, Marrero was very good in limited ABs in 2019. I'm guessing the 20-year-old will get an opportunity in the heat of Florida. Fidel Castro can play here as well (and deserves a shot based on numbers alone). So may NDFA Damian Henderson.

CF Quin Cotton [22]
    Not sure what to do with CF, quite honestly. Cotton is one option. So are TJ Hopkins, Allan Cerda, NDFA Army speedster Jacob Hurtubise, or Nate Scantlin. Hendrick might also play CF. I chose Cotton due to his combination of upside and production in the Pioneer League.

C Eric Yang [22], Luke Berryhill [22]
    Lots of guys to choose from here. In fact, you could make the argument that catcher is the best position in the Cincinnati pipeline. Yang may skip a level to Dayton (especially if the Reds are big believers in his bat). He hit very well in Billings after an exceptional collegiate career. Berryhill may also skip ahead, as he's slightly old for level. Jackson Miller and Jose Tello could also factor in here, as could NDFA Vincent Timpanelli and recent Rule 5 acquisition Wilfred Astudillo. I'm guessing the Reds stay conservative and begin the year with both Yang and Berryhill in Daytona, with Tello in reserve.

1B Jose Tello [22]
    Tello burst onto the scene in 2019 with a whole bunch of pop and a high BA. In 73 games and almost 300 stateside PAs, Tello's put up a nearly 500 slugging percentage and only 54 Ks. He's not much of a catcher (apparently), but a bat like that shouldn't stagnate. He'll be 23 in 2021, so he's probably a little old for the level, but starting in a warm climate may speed up his development. It'll certainly be a chance to see if his power plays. NDFA Alex McGarry may also be an option here.

2B Tyler Callihan [20]
    Callihan's bat isn't in question. That allows the Reds to push him a bit more aggressively, though they won't. What he needs are reps at 2B to see if he can man the spot. They may push him to High A Dayton, using the better infield (and lights) to get a better handle on his capability on the position. I'm guessing they'll err on the side of caution because that's how the Reds typically roll. If Callihan is pushed to the Dragons, NDFA Francisco Urbaez was a steal as a free agent. He's 23, though.

SS Ivan Johnson [22]
    I'm unsure of what the Reds will do with Johnson. By most accounts, he handled SS pretty well in 2019, but that's not stopped the Reds from looking for better options. He's got the offensive chops, and the Reds philosophy is seemingly to find out how far they can stretch prospects defensively to fit their bats in the lineup. 2019 draftee Yan Contreras struggled in 2019 to adapt to professional ball (in an aggressive move to the Rookie League). With a year to work on his bat, perhaps he gets the call. He's still only 19, so I'm guessing he stays behind in Arizona, at least to start the season. NDFA Gus Steiger [21] is also an option. He hit well with wood bats in the Northwoods League.

3B Rece Hinds [20]
    Hinds may not begin the season in Daytona, but he probably should. He played in only three games the year he was drafted but got some time last year in Instructs and showed some serious power. Hinds is still young enough that they may keep him in Arizona to start, but I'm guessing they want to see what he's got. At 20, low A makes some sense. If not Hinds, Debby Santana may get the majority of the time at the hot corner. He's a lifetime .283/ .325/ .430/ .756 bat who needs to be less aggressive. He's also only 20, but has at least played some already in Arizona.

DH Fidel Castro [22]
    Castro's shown a power bat in his incremental move through the Red system. 12 HR in 580 ABs, most of them as a teenager,
    auger well for a real corner power bat. He's shown some surprising patience as well. Better, he's shown improvement each year despite a limited number of PAs. (His slugging over the past two seasons is over 500, for example. I'm guessing Castro earns a DH spot at worst and will likely be a fourth OF/ DH for the Daytona squad. The 'Tugas may also turn to a whole host of other options. Again, there are at least six options available among OF alone.

Overview:
    Were this the team, the lineup would probably be pretty solid. There's at least one prospect per position, with few holes. Hendrick is the best of the lot, but there are quite a few others to like. In fact, I'd argue that Daytona may well be the most fun team to follow in the Red system. Lots of possible pop (though that may be masked by the Florida State League), some intriguing hit first guys, and some possible help up the middle.

2. Likes:

SErebel11 (01-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 Prognostication: Low A Daytona Roster (The Offense)

I started reading and said there's no way they start Hendrick at Daytona...... then I realized Daytona is the new Dayton.

I'd bet Leonardo Seminati figures into the mix at 1b.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-26-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

So wouldn't all 6 of the draftees this year be in Daytona?

Where else would they go?

Both hitters taken were HS guys. They might stay in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    So wouldn't all 6 of the draftees this year be in Daytona?

Where else would they go?
    I'm guessing Miller and Wainwright go to Arizona for now. They can be pushed to low A later in the season. (I'm guessing.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd bet Leonardo Seminati figures into the mix at 1b.
    Possible.

Seminati will have to rake moving forward. He'll also be 22 by the beginning of the season. You're probably right, Jax.

Nice to have some minor league talk. I'll tell you what if this is the Daytona team, I'll have to catch a couple games.

I don’t know it Hendrick will pan out at the major league level with his reported swing and miss tendencies, but I have a feeling he’s going to go off this season at single A and shoot up prospect boards.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t know it Hendrick will pan out at the major league level with his reported swing and miss tendencies, but I have a feeling he’s going to go off this season at single A and shoot up prospect boards.
    I'm not sure how much power he'll show in the Florida State League.

Turn Off Ads?