Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Padres got their guy - a bidder gone

Re: Padres got their guy - a bidder gone

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    Ah yes Drew Henson, the minor leaguer who was so talented he got to tell a big league club "I only want to play for the Yankees, or else" because he could go be a crappy NFL QB whenever he wanted
    So the Reds granted him his wish, and traded him back to the Yankees for Wily Mo Pena. A couple of years later, after failing at 3B for the Yankees, he was failing as a QB for the Cowboys.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Again, because they are teams with more success than the Reds, not (solely) because of geography.
    Not really. I've lived in the Indy area since the 60s. There have always been a lot of lifelong Cubs and Cardinals fans here. Even in the 70s with the Reds dominating and the AAA team in Indianapolis, this was never exclusively Reds territory.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-08-2021 at 06:13 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    So the Reds granted him his wish, and traded him back to the Yankees for Wily Mo Pena. A couple of years later, after failing at 3B for the Yankees, he was failing as a QB for the Cowboys.
    And Wily Mo Pena was traded for Arroyo, which ended up being a great result for the Neagle trade.

IIRC, Wily Mo Pena was traded because he refused to restructure his contract which would have allowed him to be sent to the minors for much needed seasoning.

BTW, Neagle couldn’t post an ERA below 5.00 after leaving the Reds.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (01-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    And Wily Mo Pena was traded for Arroyo, which ended up being a great result for the Neagle trade.

IIRC, Wily Mo Pena was traded because he refused to restructure his contract which would have allowed him to be sent to the minors for much needed seasoning.

BTW, Neagle couldn’t post an ERA below 5.00 after leaving the Reds.
    I'm not sure WMP had a choice in "restructuring" his contract -- I think that was a RedsZone canard. The MLBPA certainly would not have permitted any sort of restructuring under the CBA.

I like following the "trade trail" on some of these trades. As you said, Bronson Arroyo indirectly became the result of trading Neagle, which turns out to be a pretty good deal.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm not sure WMP had a choice in "restructuring" his contract -- I think that was a RedsZone canard. The MLBPA certainly would not have permitted any sort of restructuring under the CBA.
    Big Klu, your memory must be fading LOL.

That was the standard joke back in the day, as many posted that in a serious way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Likes:

Big Klu (01-09-2021)

Haven't looked it up (just working off of memory):
    LHP Ed Yarnall
    RHP Brian Reith
    3B/QB Drew Henson
    OF Jackson Melian

How did I do?
    Henson turned into Wily Mo Pena who turned into Bronson Arroyo, so...
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Henson turned into Wily Mo Pena who turned into Bronson Arroyo, so...
    And Paul O’Neill turned into Sean Casey, who, along with a significant amount of cash, turned into...Dave Williams.

Man, Dan O was clueless.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

Big Klu (01-09-2021),REDREAD (01-11-2021)

Turn Off Ads?