Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Padres got their guy - a bidder gone

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Padres got their guy - a bidder gone

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Looking forward to the same reds fans who were freaking out about the possibility of trading Gray now saying “WHY CANT THE REDS BE MORE LIKE THE RAYS???!!”
    Is there anyone who wanted both of those things? I’m opposed to the Reds both trading Gray and being more like the Rays.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Snell and Darvish are getting dealt, that would tell me that Gray is not on the trading block. Otherwise, we would be hearing rumors about him as well.
    That's making quite the leap.

The Padres may have called, determined the Reds asking price was too high and moved on. They could also be floating the Darvish interest out there to play off teams that are demanding bigger returns for their prospects.

Personally, I'd love nothing more than a bunch of non-Reds SPs to get traded in the next week. Hopefully that would cause some other prospect-rich team to freak out and overpay the Reds for Gray/Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post

The Padres may have called, determined the Reds asking price was too high and moved on. They could also be floating the Darvish interest out there to play off teams that are demanding bigger returns for their prospects.

Personally, I'd love nothing more than a bunch of non-Reds SPs to get traded in the next week. Hopefully that would cause some other prospect-rich team to freak out and overpay the Reds for Gray/Castillo.
    Hopefully the Reds can trade Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo for prospects.....who knows, one of them might even turn out to be a Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo!

I’m fine with the Reds trading off their prime players as long as the do it in a coherent and strategic way. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post

Gray is a better deal than either Snell or Darvish. If the Padres are looking for a TOR starter, they would focus on a deal for Gray first, and only move to Snell and Darvish once they knew that wasn’t going to happen.

You’re right he may still be on the market, but only for an overpay, which is the same as being off the market to me.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Hopefully the Reds can trade Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo for prospects.....who knows, one of them might even turn out to be a Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo!
    I'm not saying that's what I want, but the writing is on the wall. If they're going to trade them, I want a haul.

They've clearly shown they're slashing payroll and are going to try to patch together a roster. Bauer's about to leave a giant hole in the rotation and given that, their playoff aspirations are headed to the toilet.

Worst case scenario is the Reds keep Gray and Castillo, do nothing significant in free agency and struggle the next two years. Bottom line, the Reds need to decide what their plan is going forward: build around the team they have now or cash in on their assets before the season/at the All-Star break. Develop a plan and follow through. Stop the half-in, half-out strategy they've been doing for most of the past couple decades. Commit to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think it's a great winning blueprint for a small market team but some Reds fans are probably assuming the Reds front office isn't competent enough to execute a blueprint of that level of difficulty.
    I totally agree and am not advocating for trading Gray, Castillo, or Suarez.

With that said, I think Krall might be a TB Ray FO type. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t curious what would happen if he blew up Dick’s team and started over how he wanted to.

Again, not advocating for it and not saying it isn’t risky. However, a half measure will likely be just as ineffective in the short term as starting over from scratch with a set and coherent plan by Krall.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-28-2020),Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

Gray is a better deal than either Snell or Darvish. If the Padres are looking for a TOR starter, they would focus on a deal for Gray first, and only move to Snell and Darvish once they knew that wasn’t going to happen.

You’re right he may still be on the market, but only for an overpay, which is the same as being off the market to me.
    One gets the impression that Reds aren’t set on trading Gray, per se. That they are looking for the best deal that reduces payroll. Could be Gray, could be a different player.

If they can’t find that good deal, my guess is they will stick - but then spend less on a shortstop and pitching. If they do find the good salary reducing deal, then could be a player for Gregorius who will be more pricey.

if Reds are holding firm for a haul, and willing to walk away, I’d settle for just cheap additions this year and hope for good luck, back in business in 2022. Don’t want more salary dump deals.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-28-2020 at 01:49 PM.

12. Likes:

757690 (12-28-2020),REDREAD (01-05-2021),Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

I totally agree and am not advocating for trading Gray, Castillo, or Suarez.

With that said, I think Krall might be a TB Ray FO type. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t curious what would happen if he blew up Dick’s team and started over how he wanted to.

Again, not advocating for it and not saying it isn’t risky. However, a half measure will likely be just as ineffective in the short term as starting over from scratch with a set and coherent plan by Krall.
    I don’t know about a total blow up, but like I said in one of these trade threads the last few weeks, I’m fine with reconfiguring to some degree. Like maybe trade 1 or 2 of Gray, Suarez and Castillo, use the savings to sign idk, Gregorius, Paxton and Hand. Slot one or two of the guys you got back into the lineup or rotation or what have you. But I think if they trade that much away, it’ll be just for prospects and they won’t put the money saved back in the payroll.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-28-2020)

It really hasn’t translated to actual on field success, but how much fun would it be being a Padres fan?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

nmculbreth (12-28-2020)

It really hasn’t translated to actual on field success, but how much fun would it be being a Padres fan?
    I know a few, life long too... let's just say they are happy but not betting the house on anything. First rule of being a Padre fan is recognize the giant shadow being cast from the north.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The Padres are deep in trade talks to acquire Yu Darvish from Cubs

The Padres and Cubs are discussing a trade for Yu Darvish, sources told The Athletic on Monday, a day after the Padres worked out an agreement to acquire 2018 Cy Young winner Blake Snell from the Tampa Bay Rays.

This flurry of activity during an extremely slow winter for the baseball industry would give the Padres one of the best rotations in the game and a chance to dethrone the Dodgers. If this complex deal reaches the finish line, it would also mark the first blockbuster trade for the Jed Hoyer administration, signaling that the Cubs are focusing more on their future than maximizing their chances to win in 2021.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That is soooooooo 14 posts ago!

20. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-28-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Give Preller and the Dads credit for having the cojones to zag while everyone else is zigging. They're being aggressive and taking the horn by the bulls while the rest of the cowboys are wearing masks and disinfecting their lassos.

This season presents a really rare opportunity for perennial also rans (or in the case of the Reds, also suckeds) to be real players in the market while most of the other teams are trying to recoup lost profits (NOT lost money) from Covidball 2020.

I hope it works out. I love outside the box thinking and wish the Reds engaged in it successfully now and again.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

nmculbreth (12-28-2020),REDREAD (01-05-2021)

Talk about over valuing your own.

Sonny is very good, but to hands down say he is a better deal ????

Depends on what you are looking for. Darvish and Snell definitely have things to offer to the acquiring team that Gray doesn't.

Turn Off Ads?