Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember attending

New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember attending

Skip the went-as-a-baby or toddler games - what is the first game you have a clear memory of attending?

Mine came when I was 4 and a half - I remember fleeting things like seeing the field open up as my Dad and I walked up the ramp from the concourse to our seats upstairs in the reds. I remember that Bench did something (box score shows he drove in the only run). I remember the smell of the peanuts.

June 17, 1975. Braves 5 Reds 1. The immortal Carl Morton w/ the complete game effort for the Braves apparently. 4 BB and 1 K. The Reds did a terrible job of hitting it where they 'aint that day as it turns out...

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=197506170CN5

Around a year later, circa summer of 1976 - had my first celebrity sighting - clearly remember standing in line at a Burger Chef (RIP Burger Chef and Jeff) behind Davey Concepcion.

Happy new years, friends.

Anyone else able to pull the box score from the first Reds game you remember attending? Or, if you don't have that memory, the first major league game you remember attending at any park?

Peace.

Aaron
    Last edited by membengal; 12-31-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Big Klu (12-31-2020),cumberlandreds (01-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

April 5, 1982

Opening Day vs. the Cubs

I was 12 years old, and it was my first Major League baseball game. A 3-2 loss in a game called after 8 innings due to rain. It was about 40° and raining the entire day.

Cubs 2B Bump Wills led off the game with a HR, and Cubs C Keith Moreland led off the 2nd inning with another HR, but those were the only runs that Mario Soto gave up in 7 innings of work. The Cubs' 3B that day was rookie Ryne Sandberg, making his first appearance in a Cubs uniform after being acquired from the Phillies in the offseason.

The Reds rallied for one in the 7th inning, but the Cubs scored an insurance run in the top of the 8th off lefty Bob Shirley. (John McNamara was ejected in the top of the eighth.) The Reds then rallied for another run in the bottom of the 8th, and had the bases loaded with two outs against Cubs lefty Willie Hernandez. With the pitcher's spot due up, the Reds sent up switch-hitting INF Rafael Landestoy to PH, but he flied out to RF. (Landestoy and backup catcher Mike O'Berry were the only remaining options from the right side, as OF Mike Vail had been used earlier in the inning to PH for LF Clint Hurdle.) Even as a 12-year-old, I would have rather used one of the remaining left-handed bats on the bench instead of the light-hitting Landestoy, even against the lefty Hernandez -- either INF Wayne Krenchicki, or more likely veteran OF/1B Larry Biittner.

After the inning was over, the umpires called for the tarps to cover the field, and the game was eventually called. 12-year-old me was convinced that if the Reds had been given the chance to play the ninth inning, they would have come back to win, as they had the top of the order coming up.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...050CIN1982.htm
    Last edited by Big Klu; 12-31-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

membengal (12-31-2020)

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

wowo big klu you are lucky you saw german barranca get a hit

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    wowo big klu you are lucky you saw german barranca get a hit
    Yeah. It was a double, I think.

When I was 12, I pronounced it like Bluto in Animal House, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I also got to see Clint Hurdle in a Reds uniform.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...98704060.shtml

Opening Day 1987

Future Reds heroes Herm Winningham and Jeff Reed made appearances...for the Expos
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Big Klu (12-31-2020),membengal (12-31-2020)

wow a big victory for bill landrum

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...98704060.shtml

Opening Day 1987

Future Reds heroes Herm Winningham and Jeff Reed made appearances...for the Expos
    I think that's the game in which Terry Francona started at 1B and hit a big home run (a three-run shot, I think), and Bob Trumpy played the replay of the call over and over again on his radio show for the next two or three weeks.

I also remember we got a freak snowstorm in Eastern Ohio that day, and school was cancelled, so I got to stay home and watch the entire game from the beginning!

Edit: I just clicked on the box score: Tito's HR was only a two-run shot. But it was still a big blow!
    Last edited by Big Klu; 12-31-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Attended with a big group from my church, late eighties, Vs the Padres. Gary Templeton hit a foul ball that one of my group caught. That’s all I remember. 87-89, I was under 9 years old.
    I should research that...

13. Likes:

membengal (01-01-2021)

Mine was the one Griffey hit the grand slam off Joel Zumaya in Detroit and then the reds blew it off a walk off by Granderson.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

membengal (01-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think that's the game in which Terry Francona started at 1B and hit a big home run (a three-run shot, I think), and Bob Trumpy played the replay of the call over and over again on his radio show for the next two or three weeks.

I also remember we got a freak snowstorm in Eastern Ohio that day, and school was cancelled, so I got to stay home and watch the entire game from the beginning!

Edit: I just clicked on the box score: Tito's HR was only a two-run shot. But it was still a big blow!
    Link the box score? Fun to look at these random old games...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Link the box score? Fun to look at these random old games...
    The link is in Benihana's post.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=197508090CN5

Riverfront Stadium August 9, 1975: Green seats behind home plate. Reds defeated the Expos. Saw Doug Flynn in the dugout pre-game. He was the first MLB player I saw in person. I was thrilled to death then I saw some players named Bench, Rose etc. When I saw the Astro Turf, I was totally awed.

I was 12 years young.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-01-2021),membengal (01-01-2021)

Looking at the box scores two things stand out to me, the lack on strike outs and the time it took to play each game.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The link is in Benihana's post.
    Duh, thanks, late last night and didn't realize you were expounding on the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Looking at the box scores two things stand out to me, the lack on strike outs and the time it took to play each game.
    It really does pop.

Turn Off Ads?