Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember attending

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=197508090CN5

Riverfront Stadium August 9, 1975: Green seats behind home plate. Reds defeated the Expos. Saw Doug Flynn in the dugout pre-game. He was the first MLB player I saw in person. I was thrilled to death then I saw some players named Bench, Rose etc. When I saw the Astro Turf, I was totally awed.

I was 12 years young.
    You saw most of the machine too it looks like. I missed Foster in my game for Rettumund in 1975.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

goreds2 (01-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

four inning save wow

June 1, 1963 Crosley Field

Joey Jay and the Reds beat Sandy Koufax and the Dodgers 1-0. I was 9 years old.

Can't get the link to the box score to post.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (01-02-2021),membengal (01-01-2021)

daryl spencer knocked in the run which reminds m e that I have not cited the great third basemen in some timenow

https://www.espn.com/mlb/game?gameId=280507117

Votto's first three home run game and a shutout of the Cubs.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-01-2021),membengal (01-01-2021)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99510140.shtml

Started off as a Reds fan but moved to the South and became a Braves fan during the 80's and 90's, before returning in the 2000's to Reds fandom.

Jose Rijo tried to throw a ball out of the ballpark and didn't make it and it bounced back down to me. Gave it to a kid. Then another ball was hit by Chipper into my hands during the game.

11. Likes:

membengal (01-01-2021)

randy milligan had more wa;lks thanstrikeout an anomaly today

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=199004270CN5

MONTREAL EXPOS VS CINCINNATI REDS
    APRIL 27, 1990 BOX SCORE

I was a sports writer for the local newspaper and my college, Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia (now UVa-Wise), had made the NAIA baseball playoffs. We were playing at Georgetown College which is outside of Lexington, KY. Our game, a middle of the day game, was rained out so we had a free day. Our coach was a very cool man who saw an opportunity to take his team to a major league game. We headed to Cincy in the afternoon and got to the stadium a little early. The weather in Ohio was a little damp, it probably rained in the morning but the field was more than playable by 7 p.m. He bought all of us tickets and I was super pumped. Growing up in Wise, Virginia, in the extreme southwest corner of Virginia, I had been a Reds fan all of my life but had never been to Cincy - my parents were not fans of baseball. All of our vacations, long weekends, were to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN. Just seeing the field for the first time took my breath away.
    We were hosting the Expos who sent Zane Smith to the mound while Tom Browning toed the rubber for the Reds. It was an exciting bottom of the ninth win, 3-2 win, with Dibble getting the win after Browning gave up only one earned run in seven innings. Took less than 2.5 hours to play, which was awesome! Chris Sabo was the hero and I went back to the hotel on cloud nine. I did not know that the first team I saw live would go on to win the World Series that season!
    I loved everything about that game and vowed to come back more often and I did make it back several times before beginning my ministry.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-01-2021),membengal (01-01-2021),Ron Madden (01-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto View Post
    Attended with a big group from my church, late eighties, Vs the Padres. Gary Templeton hit a foul ball that one of my group caught. That’s all I remember. 87-89, I was under 9 years old.
    I should research that...
    Did the research. https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=198806270CN5
    Turns out, that was Jack Armstrong’s home debut! My brother and I can’t believe it. We remember some young kid got rocked and was out in the second inning.

16. Likes:

membengal (01-01-2021)

7/6/1969 Tigers vs Orioles - Third base line, I spilled my popcorn on the field, my father chased a hippie away, Kaline homered, McLain got the W

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96907060.shtml

18. Likes:

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm almost positive these were the games. I was only seven, so my memories are fuzzy, but I remember it was a double header, and the Reds lost big in the first game, while winning the second 4-2.

Game 1: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Game 2: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm almost positive these were the games. I was only seven, so my memories are fuzzy, but I remember it was a double header, and the Reds lost big in the first game, while winning the second 4-2.

Game 1: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Game 2: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Holy moly, did you stay for both games at age 7? Because that 19-5 beating in game 1 would have shortened a lot of days for most parents...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    7/6/1969 Tigers vs Orioles - Third base line, I spilled my popcorn on the field, my father chased a hippie away, Kaline homered, McLain got the W

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96907060.shtml
    a three hit game for Kaline and the boogster with two hits for the O's to boot. And in Tiger Stadium. Blessed.

I can't answer specifically, but talked to my dad today about this today. He says I was around 4 or 5 at Riverfront. I am 54 years old. He still laughs because a pitcher homered in the game and for a while I thought pitchers were the best hitters. I remember more about seeing Riverfront from the highway and being amazed. I do remember in the 72 series my mother making me go to bed, and he would just get me up when she fell asleep.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

24. Likes:

membengal (01-01-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Holy moly, did you stay for both games at age 7? Because that 19-5 beating in game 1 would have shortened a lot of days for most parents...
    It was just me and my dad, and I think he was just trying to entertain me.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

26. Likes:

redhawkfish (01-01-2021)

Turn Off Ads?