Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember attending

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm almost positive these were the games. I was only seven, so my memories are fuzzy, but I remember it was a double header, and the Reds lost big in the first game, while winning the second 4-2.

Game 1: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Game 2: Montreal Expos at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, May 7, 1978
    Question for those of you who have been to a traditional (not day/night) doubleheader:

Do they have last call during Game 1?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

Here's mine. August 21, 1971. Reds beat the future 1971 World Champion Pirates 6-3. My first baseball hero, Johnny Bench homered and I was thrilled! Foster had a big triple that put the Reds ahead. Four future HOFer's in that game plus Pete Rose. Although Roberto Clemente didn't play for the Bucs that day. Also Jim Merritt won his only game that season while going 1-11. The game was played in a quick 2 hours and 12 minutes before over 27,000. IIRC, we sat in the yellow seats down the first base line.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...210CIN1971.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

goreds2 (01-02-2021),membengal (01-01-2021)

I never sat in the yellows in all the years Riverfront existed.

The start of George Foster's career was weird for the Reds - just went and looked it up - I had forgotten he originally got here in 1971. He was mothballed in the minors mostly in 1972 and 1973 before re-surfacing for a main role with the club in 1974. He hit 10 homeruns for the Reds in 1971 (you saw one of them) and then a total of 13 from 1972 - 1974 for the Reds. Then he got adjusted and his power manifested in 1975 at the age of 25.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ostege01.shtml

1974 Redszone had probably long since given up on him panning out...
    Last edited by membengal; 01-01-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-02-2021),goreds2 (01-02-2021),RichRed (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I never sat in the yellows in all the years Riverfront existed.

The start of George Foster's career was weird for the Reds - just went and looked it up - I had forgotten he originally got here in 1971. He was mothballed in the minors mostly in 1972 and 1973 before re-surfacing for a main role with the club in 1974. He hit 10 homeruns for the Reds in 1971 (you saw one of them) and then a total of 13 from 1972 - 1974 for the Reds. Then he got adjusted and his power manifested in 1975 at the age of 25.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ostege01.shtml

1974 Redszone had probably long since given up on him panning out...
    In 1971, due to Bobby Tolan tearing his achilles tendon in a basketball game, the Reds were scrambling for outfielders. I was very impressed with Foster that year and was baffled as to why they didn't give him more chances after that. And to think, if Pete Rose was unable or unwilling to move to 3rd base, he might be fodder for Bruce Berenyi posts here.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (01-02-2021),membengal (01-02-2021)

was mystified when they traded Vern Geishert and Frank Duffy what a l oss

Became a Reds fan as a kid here in rural Mississippi in the late 70's. Didn't make it to a Reds game, or MLB game, until 1999 when I was 27. Been to many Reds game since, but this was my first. July 8, 1999, Reds vs Cardinals at Busch Stadium II. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99907080.shtml

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-02-2021),membengal (01-02-2021)

I've been hesitant to write, thinking there MUST have been an earlier game? But as far as I can remember, this was my first game - and what a game!

I had just turned 9 years old and my Dad took me to game four of the Yankees Reds World series in 1961. I had to look up the box score to know which game because my memories of the Reds are that they were brutally murdered by the Yanks. My dad spoke with me and pointed out the stuff that Dad's do, he was an avid baseball fan.

I discovered which game it was because I remember Whitey Ford more than any of them, but in warmups, Yogi was suffering in left field, fell a couple times on the terrace at Crosley Field. Elston Howard was a large black man (playing catcher - and he displaced Yogi!) with a first name I'd never heard of. Mantle and Maris were Batting Gods and the thing I remember most was Whitey Ford acting like beating the Reds was so easy, as if he was playing a game of gin rummy.

I was in shock and awe at the mighty Yankees and asked my Dad for a Yankee helmet,. I'm sure he would've preferred I was still faithful to our Redlegs, but I don't remember any discussion about it. My father was an incredible man.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=196110080CN5

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-02-2021),membengal (01-02-2021),Ron Madden (01-02-2021)

AFter checking the box score for something else, one more thing..
    My dad always gave Augie Donatelli s**t - would yell "Heeeey Augie!" at him whenever we were at a game. Sure enough Augie was in the umpire crew for this series.

darrell johnson was 2-2

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96507070.shtml

I was lucky to attend a game in July of 1965 at Crosley with my dad, Reds vs. Dodgers (July 7, 1965). Sandy Koufax vs. Sammy Ellis. I thought we'd see a pitchers duel. But Koufax got lit up early and was yanked after giving up 9 hits and 5 runs in 4 2/3 innings.

Reds had a 5-0 lead and I thought they'd cruise. But Ellis lost it later on and Billy McCool and Joe Nuxhall couldn't do it from the bullpen (some things never change), the Dodgers chipped away at the lead, and we went into the 9th tied at 6-6.

First 2 Reds went out and Leo Cardenas (my favorite player) came up with 2 outs. I remember sitting there thinking "please-please-please-please-please hit a HR". And then Cardenas *does* hit a blast to LF for a game-inning HR. I can still remember the ball hitting the LF screen and seeing the shock waves ripple through the screen and the crowd (and me) go berserk. First time I had experienced a GW homer in person and, to me a 12 yr. old boy, I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen in my life. And Leo Cardenas was my favorite player then.

1964 and 1965 was when I got hooked on Reds baseball and, 55+ years later, I don't think the hooks have let loose yet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-02-2021),membengal (01-02-2021),Ron Madden (01-02-2021),westofyou (01-02-2021),WrongVerb (01-02-2021)

the reds did exceptionally well against koufax

Fantastic story Roy. Great box score to peruse too. Drysdale with a pinch hit plate appearance! Frank Robinson HR! Four hits from a young Pete Rose. Very cool.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-02-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

My wife and I eloped 1 aug 2013. This was her first game. 7-2 Reds over Padres. We sat in RF behind one of Bruce's high-school (little league? Can't remember exactly) coaches. Bruce came over a couple times to chat with his old coach. Pretty cool day

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=201308090CN5

21. Likes:

membengal (01-02-2021)

They lost. Big.

It rained. (I think.)

We sat five rows from the top of old Riverfront straight away centerfield. (And never moved from our seats.) The field felt enormous.

Dave Parker hit two home runs, and Johnny Bench did not play.

My dad made fun of me complaining about the balls and strikes from 1000 feet away.

I got mad, cried, and pouted the entire car ride home.

23. Likes:

membengal (01-02-2021),Roy Tucker (01-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They lost. Big.

It rained. (I think.)

We sat five rows from the top of old Riverfront straight away centerfield. (And never moved from our seats.) The field felt enormous.

Dave Parker hit two home runs, and Johnny Bench did not play.

My dad made fun of me complaining about the balls and strikes from 1000 feet away.

I got mad, cried, and pouted the entire car ride home.
    But you DID get to see the immortal Vic Correl drive in the two Reds runs. In hindsight, very few people were witness to good things from Vic Correl, so you got that going for you (fun box score).

Turn Off Ads?