Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember attending

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They lost. Big.

It rained. (I think.)

We sat five rows from the top of old Riverfront straight away centerfield. (And never moved from our seats.) The field felt enormous.

Dave Parker hit two home runs, and Johnny Bench did not play.

My dad made fun of me complaining about the balls and strikes from 1000 feet away.

I got mad, cried, and pouted the entire car ride home.
    That game you linked to was in Three Rivers?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Year Thread Idea - Post the Box Score from first Reds game you remember atten

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I never sat in the yellows in all the years Riverfront existed.

The start of George Foster's career was weird for the Reds - just went and looked it up - I had forgotten he originally got here in 1971. He was mothballed in the minors mostly in 1972 and 1973 before re-surfacing for a main role with the club in 1974. He hit 10 homeruns for the Reds in 1971 (you saw one of them) and then a total of 13 from 1972 - 1974 for the Reds. Then he got adjusted and his power manifested in 1975 at the age of 25.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ostege01.shtml

1974 Redszone had probably long since given up on him panning out...
    I only sat in the yellow seats a couple of times. They were generally good seats. They were mezzanine level and you got a good look at everything. Foster had 13 HR's in total in 1971.Ten with the Reds and three with the Giants. I can remember him being shuttled up and own from the minors and always wondering why? It worked out in the end though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    That game you linked to was in Three Rivers?
    Wrong game, then.

Maybe this one?

I remember they lost big (but we stayed to the last out). I think it rained. I know Bench didn't play.

Most of all, I remember crying and pouting all the way home.

August 9, 1997. Having grown up in Virginia, I was 28 when I saw my first Reds game. Reggie Sanders hit a homer, Chris Stynes went 3-3 with a SB in his Reds debut (he would then go 4-4 the next day), and Gabe White outdueled Ismael Valdez as the Reds beat the Dodgers 3-2. But because the brain works in weird ways, the only thing I really remember about the game is that it was Deion Sanders' 30th birthday.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99708090.shtml
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-04-2021)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00706030.shtml

Lived in Virginia all my life and with the closest MLB team being the AL Orioles for much of that time, my opportunities to see the Reds nearby were few and far between.

As luck would have it, in 2007, my wife had a business trip to Denver and I tagged along to do the tourist thing. Reds were in town and I had a free Sunday so I walked to Coors Field. Having gone to professional sports games mostly in DC area, I was used to full stadiums/arenas and difficulty finding tickets, so I apprehensively approached the ticket booth that day in '07 and asked if there were tickets available. The lady behind the counter looked at me incredulously and asked, "Where do you wanna sit?" I bought a cheap ticket about 15 rows behind homeplate and made my way inside. Beautiful park. Took a stroll around and checked the whole stadium out.

I was joined at my seat by a Japanese businessman who was in town for the same conference my wife was attending. His English, like my Japanese, wasn't great but we shared a love of baseball and could communicate in baseball terms. We ended up having a great day with many laughs.

As for the game itself, it was obviously a slugfest but my only real recall is that I never felt the Reds were going to win the game.

In fact, it was many years before I saw the Reds win a game in person. When the Washington Nationals hit DC, I went to a Reds game every year and was on a heck of a losing streak until Johnny Cueto ended that with a gem just weeks before he was traded in 2015. Several Reds fans like myself were seated behind the Reds dugout and gave him a standing ovation when he was removed late in the game. Knowing his days as a Red were likely numbered, we wanted to show our appreciation. He tipped his cap to us.

PS: I've seen Reds at home once, in 2019 against the Pirates. The infamous Amir Garrett game. Wild night obviously.

8. Likes:

757690 (01-04-2021),cumberlandreds (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by LoudounReds View Post
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00706030.shtml

Lived in Virginia all my life and with the closest MLB team being the AL Orioles for much of that time, my opportunities to see the Reds nearby were few and far between.

As luck would have it, in 2007, my wife had a business trip to Denver and I tagged along to do the tourist thing. Reds were in town and I had a free Sunday so I walked to Coors Field. Having gone to professional sports games mostly in DC area, I was used to full stadiums/arenas and difficulty finding tickets, so I apprehensively approached the ticket booth that day in '07 and asked if there were tickets available. The lady behind the counter looked at me incredulously and asked, "Where do you wanna sit?" I bought a cheap ticket about 15 rows behind homeplate and made my way inside. Beautiful park. Took a stroll around and checked the whole stadium out.

I was joined at my seat by a Japanese businessman who was in town for the same conference my wife was attending. His English, like my Japanese, wasn't great but we shared a love of baseball and could communicate in baseball terms. We ended up having a great day with many laughs.

As for the game itself, it was obviously a slugfest but my only real recall is that I never felt the Reds were going to win the game.

In fact, it was many years before I saw the Reds win a game in person. When the Washington Nationals hit DC, I went to a Reds game every year and was on a heck of a losing streak until Johnny Cueto ended that with a gem just weeks before he was traded in 2015. Several Reds fans like myself were seated behind the Reds dugout and gave him a standing ovation when he was removed late in the game. Knowing his days as a Red were likely numbered, we wanted to show our appreciation. He tipped his cap to us.

PS: I've seen Reds at home once, in 2019 against the Pirates. The infamous Amir Garrett game. Wild night obviously.
    Everything else you typed is cool, but the last and bolded part is why I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    four inning save wow
    2-4 inning saves very common with Clay and Pedro in those days...

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-05-2021)

I'm too old to remember? Never had money to go. Reds were on their way to a World Series championship. Wasn't going to miss seeing the Reds this year.
    9/22/1990 ..a doubleheader sweep against the Padres in San Diego.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-06-2021)

I was a young kid and not yet passionate about baseball. I remember wondering why my dad and uncle were excited.

Box score:
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...98509110.shtml

15. Likes:

Big Klu (01-06-2021),cumberlandreds (01-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Fantastic story Roy. Great box score to peruse too. Drysdale with a pinch hit plate appearance! Frank Robinson HR! Four hits from a young Pete Rose. Very cool.
    That year, Drysdale went .300/.331/.508 in 130 PA. Hit 7 homers and OPS’ed .839.

He might have been on The Donna Reed Show too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?