Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars - Time for some "Urban" renewal

Re: 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars - Time for some "Urban" renewal

Winning Fingerbangs All.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not sure what to say about this. The behavior at the bar with the girl is probably something that has happened with many coaches - especially before everybody had a phone at their fingertips that could take pictures and video. I'm sure there has been more activities that have gone on between coaches and young ladies - especially at colleges. And I would bet a lot of those coaches were married too. But in Urban's case, he is supposed to be an Uber-Christian. I don't want to get too deep into religion here because there's a forum for that but that is not Christian behavior. However, being a Christian means that you sin and when you sin, you seek forgiveness. But Urban has a history of covering up/excusing behavior that is un-Christian.

The thing that bothers me about this incident - besides messing around with that young lady - is the explanation. He said he and his family were out to dinner and some people wanted him to come and take pictures. I'll buy that. If you're Urban Meyer in Columbus, that's very plausible. Then he said they were trying to pull him out on the dance floor. This is where I take issue with his account. I'm not terribly familiar with restaurants in the Columbus area but he took his family out for dinner at a place that has a dance floor? First of all, from the pictures, that place looked like a sports bar. The people there looked like they were dressed for a sports bar. I don't know of a lot of sports bars that have dance floors. But if it was a restaurant that has that dancing, why do you take your family out for dinner there? And if you are out dancing with some young lady or ladies, that's pretty brazen to do that in the same place where your family is. In that one picture he didn't even look like he was dancing. It looked like he was sitting down at a bar and the girl was grinding on him and he was very handsy with her. Again, if his family is there, why is he doing that? It makes no sense. My guess was he was hanging with his family and decided to go out for a pack of smokes or something. But what he really did was to go to some bar. I have no idea why. Maybe he wanted a beer or two and the fam are teetotalers. If this was 15 years ago, I'd say he may have wanted to check up on some of the games that were going on. But you can get all that on your phone now.

To some, it seems the bigger issue is that he didn't fly back with the team. I think that is making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not totally familiar with the schedule of NFL teams but I'd be willing to bet the players had the weekend off except for those who needed treatment. I don't know about the staff. If Urban gave the staff the weekend off, it shouldn't be a big deal that he stayed behind. But if the staff had to come in and work and he stayed behind, I could see people having a problem with that. A bigger issue is that they are 0-4. If I were the head coach of an 0-4 team, I might be using those extra 3 days to find ways to get better instead of taking the weekend off. I don't think I would bring players in for full contact practice but I might bring them in for walkthroughs and film study. Especially since you have a rookie QB.

There are a lot of cynics out there that say Urban's ready to quit or hoping to get fired. It doesn't appear either one is going to happen now but if you bring someone like Urban in you don't cut bait with him a quarter of the way into the season even if you are 0-4 unless he's committed a major felony. And if Urban took the gig and is hoping to get fired after one season (and get the remainder of his contract) that's somewhat fraudulent. And if he does that and is wanting to take a college gig, I'm not so sure he gets hired after quitting at Florida, quitting at OSU and getting fired at Jacksonville after one season. How do you know he won't bail after a year or two?
    You do realized he was at the bar that he co-owns in Columbus right, so why wouldn't he eat there?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I can’t see him being fired for this, but I’ll bet the team is going to make a pragmatic buyout offer. Acting like a frat boy when you’re almost 60 years old in a college town isn’t a good look when you’re 0-4.

If he had just won the Super Bowl, he could’ve been caught getting a handy like Bob Kraft, and it would be ignored.
    I guess hes just supposed to go home and lock himself in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I guess hes just supposed to go home and lock himself in a cage?
    Let me see, I wonder if it’s possible for a married 57 year old guy whose wife is babysitting the grandkids to go out and have a great time without coeds grinding against his crotch in a restaurant? He could’ve at least taken it to the backseat of his car like I do.

But I guess in your world, if he can’t do that, he may as well just lock himself in his home.

Correction, lock himself in a cage.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 10-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Dublin, OH isn’t a college town.

If his name was Kevin Stafanski or Zack Taylor this wouldn’t even remotely be national news.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

If his name was Kevin Stafanski or Zack Taylor this wouldn’t even remotely be national news.
    It may not be a college town, but it is still very much an OSU Football town. Urban's Pint House does numerous "Media Outings" where a website or radio station does a live even there.

I would imagine any given night you may see a former OSU football player at Urban's Pint House. I also can see it being exactly the type of place where you can enjoy dinner with your family but then after a certain time, a DJ stars playing and it can get a little louder.

I do agree that if it were Zac Taylor, no one would realize who he was.

I know, I’m just responding to Bernie calling it a college town. It ain’t.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I didn’t know it was Dublin, I assumed somewhere in the short north because Columbus was mentioned all over the news. Either way, glad he had fun.

But I don’t know, it seems like if Zack Taylor was 0-4, and he got caught doing that on camera right after another loss while his wife was at home taking care of his four kids, it would probably make the news.

I thought it was Urban Chophouse in the Short North, not his Dublin restaurant? I might have read incorrectly though.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I didn’t know it was Dublin, I assumed somewhere in the short north because Columbus was mentioned all over the news. Either way, glad he had fun.

But I don’t know, it seems like if Zack Taylor was 0-4, and he got caught doing that on camera right after another loss while his wife was at home taking care of his four kids, it would probably make the news.
    Eh, I don't know. I think this has to do more with Urban and his aura than anything else.

Lets be honest, if your average coach walked into a bar, how many people would know who he is? Especially a guy who had been coaching for one season?

To further this, do you know the marital status of any other coach? Or what that coaches significant other looks like? I know what Shelley Meyer looks like, but she may be the only coaches wife in the NFL. Had that been Zac Taylor, there would have been a lot more mystery about who he was, is he married, where is his family etc.

Well, I guess Zack better get his groove on before he wins at Super Bowl while he can still have some fun.

I’ve never been famous, so I don’t know what it’s like to just be out at a pub. I would think by now he would have acquired enough common sense to keep himself out of any semblance of impropriety. I’m a happily married man and keeping my marriage happy and stable is my #1 priority. I’ve experienced the flip side and it’s pretty bad.

I will say though that as an older guy, younger women seem to think you are “safe” and will strike up conversations. It’s a running joke with my friends that if we’re at the bar and you’re looking for a good looking woman, they will be over talking to me. I swear to god, I do not encourage it but I suppose I don’t discourage it either. I’m a chatty guy and like I said “safe”. And I know my boundaries. If I start getting soulful looks, I start talking about my wife and kids and how great it all is and oh gee look at the time, gotta get home. It’s certainly not my good looks. I’m an old, balding, fat, out of shape white guy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

IslandRed (10-08-2021),The Operator (10-20-2021)

No one is talking about Urban’s first NFL win on Sunday? Was glad to see that for him.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    No one is talking about Urban’s first NFL win on Sunday? Was glad to see that for him.
    As a Jags fan I am far more invested into the progression of Lawrence than I am Urban. While I am happy for Urban i'm more excited about some of the things I saw from Lawrence.

Yeah Lawrence will be around for the next good Jaguars team, very hard to imagine Urban will be.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

20. Likes:

Chip R (10-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?