Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars - Time for some "Urban" renewal

"So Fla Red"

Re: 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars - Time for some "Urban" renewal

I agree, urban is there to jumpstart ticket sales and upgrade the stalled facilities negotiations

If Khan wanted to move the team he wouldn't have hired a high profile, rock star coach. Or if they can't make it work in Jacksonville with Meyer it makes his choice(s) down the road on staying or leaving Jax more transparent

2. Turn Off Ads?

There's a lot of smoke around Charlie Strong as Linebackers coach (and Asst Head Coach). And then talk of either Joe Cullen or Raheem Morris as Defensive Coordinator. Right off the bat, Morris is a more exciting name as DC. He seems more worthy of a Asst Head Coach title than Charlie.

I'm guessing if Charlie gets the Asst HC title, that's to lessen the blow that he would be coming in as a position coach and not a DC.

Saw where Wade Philipps announced he was available, but there's been no buzz in that direction.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

In their press conference announcing Urban, Shad said he came to the realization 15 months or so ago (this coincided with the time frame for firing Coughlin) that the team had to have a coach-centric approach. The GM centric approach and the Executive centric approach and both had failed. So this was going to be a New England type situation. No one doubts that Bill Belechik is really in charge.

So, it come as no great surprise that we did not hire an all star General Manager. None of the All Stars would want to be a puppet for Urban. So the Jags promoted Interim GM Trent Baalke to permanent. An underwhelming choice.

I was also a little disappointed that the resident capologist was not kept. John Idzik. I thought he had done a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    In their press conference announcing Urban, Shad said he came to the realization 15 months or so ago (this coincided with the time frame for firing Coughlin) that the team had to have a coach-centric approach. The GM centric approach and the Executive centric approach and both had failed. So this was going to be a New England type situation. No one doubts that Bill Belechik is really in charge.

So, it come as no great surprise that we did not hire an all star General Manager. None of the All Stars would want to be a puppet for Urban. So the Jags promoted Interim GM Trent Baalke to permanent. An underwhelming choice.

I was also a little disappointed that the resident capologist was not kept. John Idzik. I thought he had done a good job.
    Idzik was a cap wizard. He was ahead of the curve with front loading multi year FA contracts.

Love the Bob Sutton hire.

Dislike very much the Schottenheimer hire. With 5 teams in 10 seasons, the leash on Schottenheimer should be very short.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Wow..Brian Schottenheimer?? that's a bad move Urbs.
    Go Gators!

Lawrence looked great today

The newly hired Chris Doyle has resigned.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-amid-backlash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

That was inevitable.

Still don't understand why Urban made up coaching with him at Utah, that's just bizarre.
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2021)

So here's the Jags final(?) coaching staff. There are a LOT of cooks in the kitchen,

HC - Urban Meyers
    Asst Head Coach - Charlie Strong - Previous HC at UofL, Texas, USF

Offensive Coordinator - Darrel Bevell - Previous OC with Lions, Vikings, Seahawks. Interim Lions HC
    Passing Game Coordinator - Brian Schottenheimer - Previous OC with Seahwaks, Jets, Rams and UGA.
    Tight Ends Coach - Tyler Bowen
    Offensive Line Coach - George Warhop (returning)
    Wide Receivers Coach - Sanjay Lil - 7th !! WR Coaching position in NFL
    RB Coach - Bernie Parmalee - 4th RB coaching position in NFL
    Offensive Asst Coach - Will Harriger
    Offensive Line Asst Coach - Todd Washington
    Offensive QC Coach - Quinton Gather

Defensive Coordinator - Joe Cullen - 1st DC gig. 4 Previous stints in NFL as DLine Coach
    Senior Defensive Asst - Bob Sutton - Previous DC with Jets and Chiefs. Previous HC at West Point.
    Defensive Line Coach - Tosh Lupoi
    Asst Def Line Coach - Sterling Lucas
    Outside Linebackers Coach - Zach Orr
    Inside Linebacker Coach - Charlie Strong
    Asst Linebackers Coach - Tony Gilbert (returning)
    Defensive Backs Coach (Safties) - Chris Ash - Former Rutgers HC
    Defensive Backs Coach (Nickel) - Joe Danno (returning)
    Defensive Backs Coach (Corner) - Tim Walton (returning)
    Defensive Quality Control - Patrick Reilly

Special Teams Coordinator - Brian Schneider - 11 years STC with Seahawks
    Special Teams Asst - Carlos Polk

Strength Coach - Anthony Schlegel
    Asst Strength Coaches - Brandon Ireland, Adam Potts, Cedric Scott (returnig)

Some notes/thoughts;

Urban says he is not calling plays.
    He's referred the offense as 'his' offense a few times, meaning Bevell is implementing Urban's offense not Bevell's offense.
    Urban has stated several times how much he likes Ravens defense.
    Austen Lane says even though Jags have not committed to a 3-4 defense, hiring Inside and Outside Linebackers coaches means they plan to use 3-4 a lot.

Shad Khan appears to be a man who hates teal. Pre-Coughlin, Shad was doing everything he could to turn the Jags into a 'Yellow/Gold' team instead of a teal team. Remember our Gold helmets? Remember our mustard (puke yellow) color rush uniforms? They were about the ugliest uniform I had ever seen that didn't have Bumble Bee stripes (I'm looking at you Pittsburg). I think Shad's logic was 'Jaguars are yellow, not teal.'

So three years ago, Coughlin apparently convinced him to drop the yellow thing. But they could only go so far. Teal was the alternate color and about 13 times a year we play in some combo of black/white.

Well our national errr, North Florida Nightmare is over. Jaguars twitter has been tweeting out weird tweets the last couple days. When you take the first letter of each tweet they appear to be spelling out in reverse order........

__ __ __ L IS OUR PRIMARY COLOR

I know teams can only change uniforms every so often, so I don't know if this is that year for Jags, but they really need a good uniform. They haven't had one in a long time. Some thing always looks a tad off.

Extremely in-depth JAX off-season team needs:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/artic...season-preview

To recap the earlier post, the Jags are indeed back to Teal as primary. The announced in a tweet that they would go primary if the Jags tweet got 21,000 retweets. Very first post was some idiot saying they don't even have 21,00 fans.

Along the way, the post also got some love from other teams. One from a Chargers fan web site, posted something like 'Don't care about the Jags, not a fan of the Jags. But I know this about the Jags.... they should be Teal. C'mon Charger nation, push them over the top"

Turn Off Ads?