Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Time for a new thread as the season is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

forfreelin04 (01-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

I think the best route to get Sewell would be QB, QB, Smith, QB in the first 4 picks. A small consolation prize if Sewell goes in the top 4 would be if only 2 QBs go in the top 4 and the Bengals would field offers at 5 from teams wanting Wilson/Fields.

Whatever goodwill from the fans that could have been granted to Taylor with the 2 consecutive wins was erased with that embarrassing showing today.

5. Likes:

forfreelin04 (01-03-2021),WrongVerb (01-03-2021)

I think Unsweet Lou just moved himself into the hotseat.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I think Unsweet Lou just moved himself into the hotseat.
    Didn’t know he was ever out of it.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

My offseason priorities:

1. Fire ZT and replace him with Joe Brady. But if they keep ZT...
    1b. Fire Lou, Turner, and possibly every assistant except for Simmons. Hire experienced coordinators with a proven track record in the NFL, including Zimmer at DC if he becomes available.
    2. Sign one of Thuney, Scherff, and/or Trent Williams for the offensive line, especially since you don’t know if Sewell will be available. Thuney most likely given local ties.
    3. Sign one of Ngakwoue, Wolfe, Clowney or Leonard Williams for the defensive line, because it needs a massive upgrade. Wolfe most likely given cost and local ties.
    4. Draft Sewell if he’s there, if not draft either Chase/Smith or trade down. Do not take Slater, Waddle, or one of the defensive players available at 6.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-03-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I’m all for getting rid of Taylor. He IMO is just as accountable as Turner for Burrows injury and has completely underwhelmed.

That said, how do we know Joe Brady isn’t going to be Zac Taylor 2.0?

Young offensive coordinator, never been a head coach (sound familiar?). The best thing on his resume is what he did with Burrow at LSU and to some that’s all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m all for getting rid of Taylor. He IMO is just as accountable as Turner for Burrows injury and has completely underwhelmed.

That said, how do we know Joe Brady isn’t going to be Zac Taylor 2.0?

Young offensive coordinator, never been a head coach (sound familiar?). The best thing on his resume is what he did with Burrow at LSU and to some that’s all that matters.
    Most HC candidates have never been a head coach. Brady's offense in Carolina this year was impressive considering the QB and loss of McCaffrey. That was a fun offense, and every skill player had the best season of their career except Moore, whose 2020 was basically the same as 2019. If he actually comes to Cincy, I hope he brings Curtis Samuel with him. But I think it's most likely that ZT stays, and I'm fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s frustrating because keeping Taylor is just delaying the inevitable. I’m generally pretty patient with coaches but Taylor is clearly in over his head.

Also, what coaches are going to come here given Taylor’s lame duck status? He initially put together a pretty bad staff and I can’t see it getting better after two garbage seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    It’s frustrating because keeping Taylor is just delaying the inevitable. I’m generally pretty patient with coaches but Taylor is clearly in over his head.

Also, what coaches are going to come here given Taylor’s lame duck status? He initially put together a pretty bad staff and I can’t see it getting better after two garbage seasons.
    Zimmer should come back if he gets the axe. May figure he’s coach-in-waiting when ZT gets clipped. And Katie, not ZT would be the one hiring him if that happens.
    Go BLUE!!!

If Sewell is available, we take him, if not, we trade back in my opinion.

Do you think Miami or Atlanta trade back for a team looking for a QB? I think Atalanta might but their division is in a strange QB situation and they may see this as an option to get ahead of the QB curve there with a young elite option.

I think Miami goes playmaker. LT isn’t as much of a need for them with Tua being left handed and it being his strong side. Maybe they take the chance for an elite WR? Maybe they trade back to late in the top 10 where an elite wide out may still be available?

Very interesting top 5.

Thing that stuck out to me was how even though it was a bad year, under Burrow this team wasn't *that* far off. And that was with a laughable O-Line and defense (tho D did improve after his injury). Nothing more important than protecting Burrow for the next 10 years. We have to fix this one way or another this offseason.

15. Likes:

The Operator (01-04-2021)

The Mike Brown statement from this morning is possibly the most pathetic statement from an owner I’ve ever read.

Just more excuse making, no accountability and expecting mediocrity. At least Castellini (like most owners) says he wants and expects to win.
    Go BLUE!!!

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-04-2021)

Bengals announced Taylor coming back.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I get that you all are pissed, but do note that retaining ZT (which they were gonna do anyway) means they will get to coach the Senior Bowl again. That's gonna be extra helpful this year (all of the staffs ahead of them have new head coaches and NFL rule is that worst teams w/ majority of coaches still in place gets that assignment.

After Steelers win, Houston win, and considering overall injuries and difficulties, he was going to get another chance.

I am curious to see what happens assuming that Jim Turner is indeed catapaulted into the sun.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

As for "Sewell or bust" - I am not on that train. If he's there at 5, sure. But if he's gone and they have Chase staring at them, fine by me.

I am hoping that they will address o-line in FA aggressively like they tried with defense last year with Reader and Wayans signings. I think Burrow more likely to get the protection he needs with two veteran FAs who are already good at their jobs - there will be a learning curve with Sewell, no matter how good he may be as a prospect.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?