Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I get that you all are pissed, but do note that retaining ZT (which they were gonna do anyway) means they will get to coach the Senior Bowl again. That's gonna be extra helpful this year (all of the staffs ahead of them have new head coaches and NFL rule is that worst teams w/ majority of coaches still in place gets that assignment.

After Steelers win, Houston win, and considering overall injuries and difficulties, he was going to get another chance.

I am curious to see what happens assuming that Jim Turner is indeed catapaulted into the sun.
    Not pissed. It would be different if there was a can’t miss replacement available. There isn’t.

What does need to happen is Lou needs to go, a veteran DC/former head coach needs brought in, and Zac needs to be given a very short leash or he is gone as early as midseason. My vote is Dan Quinn but I don’t see him coming here.

The only problem is Mike Brown tends to stick with interims which is how we got stuck with Coslet and Lebeau in the 90s. Don’t know if his kids would be that loyal.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As for "Sewell or bust" - I am not on that train. If he's there at 5, sure. But if he's gone and they have Chase staring at them, fine by me.

I am hoping that they will address o-line in FA aggressively like they tried with defense last year with Reader and Wayans signings. I think Burrow more likely to get the protection he needs with two veteran FAs who are already good at their jobs - there will be a learning curve with Sewell, no matter how good he may be as a prospect.
    My wish list:
    1. Sewell
    2. DeVonta Smith
    3. Chase

A random thought I had yesterday though, could the Bengals target Bud Dupree, Alejandro Villanueva, and Juju Smith Schuster in FA? Would be taking from a division rival (not crazy at all about Juju) and would fill three of the biggest needs on the roster.

Everyone wants Joe Thuney though.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My wish list:
    1. Sewell
    2. DeVonta Smith
    3. Chase

A random thought I had yesterday though, could the Bengals target Bud Dupree, Alejandro Villanueva, and Juju Smith Schuster in FA? Would be taking from a division rival (not crazy at all about Juju) and would fill three of the biggest needs on the roster.

I’d be fine with Dupree and Villanueva, although I think Thuney and Wolfe are better targets because of the local ties and they’re just better players. Less than zero interest in JuJu, who I think got exposed as soon as AB left. He’s all sizzle and no steak, and annoying as all hell in the process.
    Go BLUE!!!

Zac is coming back. Mikey remains bullish. It sucks so hard being a Bengals fan.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My wish list:
    1. Sewell
    2. DeVonta Smith
    3. Chase

I would be happy with any of those three. Would have Chase two, but no quarrel with your take on it. Juju can also get fired into the sun, no way would he be welcome here.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

"Next year we will earn our stripes.”

There it is.

Add that one to the pile of Mike Brown Mad Libs and Quotables.

He's been saying the same thing since 1990, there are just too many to list.

"We will go to war with what we have."
    "We're not in the business of making other teams better"
    "It's actually more expensive to go to the playoffs"

Hundreds. And each of them just as stale and pointless as my responses to them over the years.

I'll barf up one of my old chestnuts in honor of Mike Brown's annual regurgitation:

Some teams always seem to find a way. Other teams always seem to find a way to make excuses.

Also...

Looking way off into the future, there's a pretty big storm coming in a few years. 2023 is when Buroow's contract is up. He's a fierce competitor. 4 years isn't enough time for Burrow to "get it" about the Bengals. So he'll do an extension.

2026 is when the lease with Hamilton County expires. I also predict that will be the year Burrow wants out, to salvage whatever time he has left in the NFL. I also hope it is the year where Hamilton County taxpayers finally tell Mike Brown to take his scam elsewhere, and Cincinnati is finally free. (Exactly) like getting someone toxic out of your life, it will be addition by subtraction for the city. Think of all the cool things that Paul Brown Stadium could be used for, instead of just a palace of embarrassment 10 times a year.

It should be interesting.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 01-04-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I would be happy with any of those three. Would have Chase two, but no quarrel with your take on it. Juju can also get fired into the sun, no way would he be welcome here.
    I’d be fine with Chase or Smith either one but I like Smiths overall body of work better. That said I think Smith has the potential to have a steady career while Chase has the highest upside (boom or bust basically)

The biggest concern I have with Chase or anyone who has opted out which includes Sewell is taking a year off opens themselves up to injury. We saw what happened when Dez was out of work and tried to come back late in a season. My biggest fear is whoever we take tears an Achilles and is out for the season which wouldn’t be surprising for this snakebit franchise.

I realize it could happen to anybody but I think it’s higher risk for anyone who has opted out. I hope I’m wrong.

I have less worries about that with a 20-year-old, to be honest. I will assume they've been doing constant work to be ready otherwise.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-04-2021)

I hope they go after Taylor Moton. There will be a lot of competition for him, though. The Jets and Jags also have a lot of cap room.

Sewell would also be my first hope in the draft. However, I like Chase more than Smith. Chase is a couple of years younger and was dominant as a 19 year old.

Looks like Taylor will be coaching the Senior Bowl as the 4 teams who won the reverse lottery fired coaches...big win if it holds.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Looks like Taylor will be coaching the Senior Bowl as the 4 teams who won the reverse lottery fired coaches...big win if it holds.
    Frankly one of the reasons he may be back...

Frankly one of the reasons he may be back...
    There was some speculation they (the Senior Bowl) may not want the same coaching staff for two straight years, so I'm not sure this is a done deal. If it happens, I agree it's an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    There was some speculation they (the Senior Bowl) may not want the same coaching staff for two straight years, so I'm not sure this is a done deal. If it happens, I agree it's an advantage.
    Jim Nagy is the Senior Bowl Executive Director. He said the NFL chooses which staffs go. I think it will be the Bengals and Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Jim Nagy is the Senior Bowl Executive Director. He said the NFL chooses which staffs go. I think it will be the Bengals and Eagles.
    It won't be the Bengals:

@JayMorrisonATH: Zac says they'll go to the Senior Bowl like all teams do but they'll let someone else coach this year.
    #Bengals

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-04-2021)

Now people openly wondering if that's because the majority of the staff will NOT be back. Which would be fine by me if that's the reason.

19. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?