Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That would be an absolutely horrible move.
    How much Rashawn Slater tape have you watched? Most of us have spent no time breaking down the OL prospects. I don't know how good Slater can be, but I know he did a great job against Chase Young last year, and Young has spent most of this season dominating NFL linemen. There are a number of people in and around the NFL who think Slater is better than Sewell. We'll see how the pre-draft process shakes out. Sewell seems great, and a lot of people think very highly of him, but he's not universally seen as the slam dunk generation talent that some on here see him as. Everybody thinks he'll be good, but just that there's not necessarily a massive gap between him and some other tackles.

The problem with trying to trade up to get Sewell is that you're going to be competing against teams that want to trade up for a QB, and so those offers will be steep. The Bengals offer would have to be overwhelming, and it's not worth that if the guy available at #5 has a chance to be nearly as good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

All I know is what I've read and I keep reading Sewell is viewed as once in a generation Orlando Pace-type talent. If that's incorrect, ok, but if it's not then yeah I think the Bengals should do what they can to get that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

Benihana (01-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-04-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-04-2021)

The Bengals have far to many holes to be sending away draft picks. Moving from 5 > 3would cost this years second and maybe next years second as well? That’s far too much capital that the Bengals truly do need.

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-04-2021),membengal (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    All I know is what I've read and I keep reading Sewell is viewed as once in a generation Orlando Pace-type talent. If that's incorrect, ok, but if it's not then yeah I think the Bengals should do what they can to get that.
    He may be available at 5. But even if he's all that, he's a rookie LT again. For everyone who wants immediate improvement - that would be two FA offensive lineman - a RT and an OG. If they sign two AND get Sewell at 5, great, but I don't want them spending draft capital (which they have no excess of) to move up to get him. They could stay in place and get a potential game changer at WR opposite Higgins too. And add in the FA offensive linemen...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The Bengals would be in a much better position to trade up had they not hung on to every last one of their players until their value was in the toilet the last few years, while they were threatening to have a winless season. Sure would be nice to have some draft depth they could trade from if they had moved Green, Atkins, or Dunlap before they were completely washed or forcing a trade out of here.

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-05-2021),Boss-Hog (01-04-2021),redsfandan (01-04-2021),ScotlandRed (01-04-2021),WrongVerb (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Man, trade back, just terrible idea.
    It's an option and one they should explore if the deal is right too many of you are Sewell or bust at this point, there are a lot of good players in the draft at positions of need for the Bengals. The team has many, many holes to fill and the last thing we should be doing is giving up a high 2nd round pick to move up 2 spots.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-04-2021),membengal (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The Bengals would be in a much better position to trade up had they not hung on to every last one of their players until their value was in the toilet the last few years, while they were threatening to have a winless season. Sure would be nice to have some draft depth they could trade from if they had moved Green, Atkins, or Dunlap before they were completely washed or forcing a trade out of here.
    Unfortunately is is a very Cincinnati thing to do...both the Reds and the Bengals make the same mistakes...so frustrating to watch.

Top 5 bengals on offense per PFF via Goodberry

1. Samaje Perine
    2. Tee Higgins
    3. Tyler Boyd
    4. Joe Burrow
    5. Jonah Williams

Top 5 on defense

1. Jessie Bates
    2. Carl Lawson
    3. Darius Phillips
    4. Vonn Bell
    5. William Jackson

Bottom 5

Offense:
    5. Xavier Sua-Filo
    4. Brandon Allen
    3. Michael Jordan
    2. Quinton Spain
    1. Fred Johnson

Defense:
    5. Xavier Williams
    4. LeShaun Sims
    3. Germaine Pratt
    2. Amani Bledsoe
    1. Akeem Davis-Gaither

14. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    How much Rashawn Slater tape have you watched? Most of us have spent no time breaking down the OL prospects. I don't know how good Slater can be, but I know he did a great job against Chase Young last year, and Young has spent most of this season dominating NFL linemen. There are a number of people in and around the NFL who think Slater is better than Sewell. We'll see how the pre-draft process shakes out. Sewell seems great, and a lot of people think very highly of him, but he's not universally seen as the slam dunk generation talent that some on here see him as. Everybody thinks he'll be good, but just that there's not necessarily a massive gap between him and some other tackles.

The problem with trying to trade up to get Sewell is that you're going to be competing against teams that want to trade up for a QB, and so those offers will be steep. The Bengals offer would have to be overwhelming, and it's not worth that if the guy available at #5 has a chance to be nearly as good.
    The knock on Slater I’ve seen is size (6’3). If anything it’s a similar knock on Jonah Williams and like Williams Slater may eventually be moved inside to guard to be more effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2 Xavier's in the bottom 5s? Stay away from that name! (joke)

4 OL in the bottom 5 on offense? Yikes. (not a joke)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Top 5 bengals on offense per PFF via Goodberry

1. Samaje Perine
    2. Tee Higgins
    3. Tyler Boyd
    4. Joe Burrow
    5. Jonah Williams

Top 5 on defense

1. Jessie Bates
    2. Carl Lawson
    3. Darius Phillips
    4. Vonn Bell
    5. William Jackson

Bottom 5

Offense:
    5. Xavier Sua-Filo
    4. Brandon Allen
    3. Michael Jordan
    2. Quinton Spain
    1. Fred Johnson

Defense:
    5. Xavier Williams
    4. LeShaun Sims
    3. Germaine Pratt
    2. Amani Bledsoe
    1. Akeem Davis-Gaither

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    2 Xavier's in the bottom 5s? Stay away from that name! (joke)

4 OL in the bottom 5 on offense? Yikes. (not a joke)
    Shows how bad Turner was in developing guys...Jordan is probably the biggest disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He may be available at 5. But even if he's all that, he's a rookie LT again. For everyone who wants immediate improvement - that would be two FA offensive lineman - a RT and an OG. If they sign two AND get Sewell at 5, great, but I don't want them spending draft capital (which they have no excess of) to move up to get him. They could stay in place and get a potential game changer at WR opposite Higgins too. And add in the FA offensive linemen...
    If he's viewed as an all-pro/potential HoF talent then this is just incorrect. The draft capital they're saving 100% won't be used in a better way than that. To go deep in the playoffs you need 2-3 all-pro types and the Bengals have exactly one right now in Jessie Bates. Maybe Joe Burrow also gets to that level, which would amplify the value of an all-pro level tackle.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-04-2021)

Was Willie Anderson viewed as a potential HoF tackle at #10 overall in his draft?

Was Andrew Whitworth viewed as a potential HoF tackle in the 2nd round of his draft?

Gonna need to be 100% certain that Sewell is Anthony Munoz to pay to move up. Not worth it to me. If you can get him at 5, fine. If not, there are a lot other Ts in this draft, and good ones. Ones who might turn out to be HoF worthy in their own right...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

21. Likes:

forfreelin04 (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Justin Hebert was untouched under Sewell. No sacks, no hits, no hurries, no pressure. Free to do whatever he wanted to do. Burrow would be unstoppable given this type of protection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Was Willie Anderson viewed as a potential HoF tackle at #10 overall in his draft?

Was Andrew Whitworth viewed as a potential HoF tackle in the 2nd round of his draft?

Gonna need to be 100% certain that Sewell is Anthony Munoz to pay to move up. Not worth it to me. If you can get him at 5, fine. If not, there are a lot other Ts in this draft, and good ones. Ones who might turn out to be HoF worthy in their own right...
    Whitworth and Anderson aren't even close to having had the careers Sewell will have.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    If Sewell is available, we take him, if not, we trade back in my opinion.

Do you think Miami or Atlanta trade back for a team looking for a QB? I think Atalanta might but their division is in a strange QB situation and they may see this as an option to get ahead of the QB curve there with a young elite option.

I think Miami goes playmaker. LT isn’t as much of a need for them with Tua being left handed and it being his strong side. Maybe they take the chance for an elite WR? Maybe they trade back to late in the top 10 where an elite wide out may still be available?

Very interesting top 5.
    I could totally see Miami drafting DeVonta Smith at #3. It would be a big surprise, for sure, but the connection is there. I skim a lot of other teams' subreddits, and Jets/Dolphins/Falcons fans are all over the place in regard to who they want. Generally speaking, though, most Jets fans are on the Fields bandwagon now, and both Dolphins/Falcons fans seem to either want Sewell or possibly trade down.

Way-too-early guesses:

Jags - Lawrence
    Jets - Fields
    Dolphins - Sewell
    Falcons - trades down for a team that wants Wilson/Lance
    Bengals - Surtain or Darrisaw, trades down for a team that wants Wilson/Lance
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?