Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals: Sewell or Bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    How much Rashawn Slater tape have you watched? Most of us have spent no time breaking down the OL prospects. I don't know how good Slater can be, but I know he did a great job against Chase Young last year, and Young has spent most of this season dominating NFL linemen. There are a number of people in and around the NFL who think Slater is better than Sewell. We'll see how the pre-draft process shakes out. Sewell seems great, and a lot of people think very highly of him, but he's not universally seen as the slam dunk generation talent that some on here see him as. Everybody thinks he'll be good, but just that there's not necessarily a massive gap between him and some other tackles.

The problem with trying to trade up to get Sewell is that you're going to be competing against teams that want to trade up for a QB, and so those offers will be steep. The Bengals offer would have to be overwhelming, and it's not worth that if the guy available at #5 has a chance to be nearly as good.
    I don’t agree on several fronts.

First, Michigan shut down Chase Young as well last year. That doesn’t mean Jon Runyon Jr. should’ve gone top 5. Slater is a consensus NOT top 5 guy. No one thinks he should be drafted that high- not this year or any other year for that matter. He’s not even expected by many to play tackle in the NFL. We already have one tweener in Jonah. If you want him, they can trade down a few spots and still get him, likely as far down as 10 or 11.

Second, the Bengals will not be competing with teams trying to trade up for a QB. If that’s the case, let them do it and draft a QB because Sewell will fall. I think Miami will either take Sewell or one of the receivers. If they trade the pick to a team looking for QB, Sewell probably drops to 5. There is a chance Atlanta takes him, but they strike me as more likely to take a defender, or QB if they go offense.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Blue light special alert: Riley Rieff is 32, never made a pro bowl, and has a small wingspan, but turned in a great year in 2020 for the Vikes at LT. He was drafted late first round the same year Matt Kalil ( a can’t miss stud) went #4. He had a far superior career.
    The Vikes somehow changed his compensation for $11 mill to $6 mill this year, so he won’t be back. For somewhere between 5-9 million/yr for a 2 yr deal, some team will get a great blocker who can play LT or RT. It could be you, Bengals.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-05-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don’t agree on several fronts.

First, Michigan shut down Chase Young as well last year. That doesn’t mean Jon Runyon Jr. should’ve gone top 5. Slater is a consensus NOT top 5 guy. No one thinks he should be drafted that high- not this year or any other year for that matter. He’s not even expected by many to play tackle in the NFL. We already have one tweener in Jonah. If you want him, they can trade down a few spots and still get him, likely as far down as 10 or 11.

Second, the Bengals will not be competing with teams trying to trade up for a QB. If that’s the case, let them do it and draft a QB because Sewell will fall. I think Miami will either take Sewell or one of the receivers. If they trade the pick to a team looking for QB, Sewell probably drops to 5. There is a chance Atlanta takes him, but they strike me as more likely to take a defender, or QB if they go offense.
    Michigan as a team limited Chase Young a bit. They were double teaming him and often chipping him with a back. He still had a number of pressures. Slater did a good job on him one on one, so that's a lot different. Daniel Jeremiah and Lance Zierlein, the head draft guys for NFL.com both have Slater about Sewell, not because they don't like Sewell but because they think Slater is that good. Matt Miller, even though he has Sewell ahead of Slater on his own board, has said that he's been told by multiple scouts and scouting directors that they think Slater is better than Sewell. So while most people right now think that Sewell is better than Slater, it's far from a universal opinion. And almost everybody thinks he can stick at Tackle, but he has the ability to play all 5 positions on the line.

Most people haven't dug too far into the tape yet. We'll see what people are saying a couple of months from now. For the Bengals' sake, hopefully Slater is every bit as good as Sewell and they have great options at 5 no matter what happens.

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-05-2021)

Lou coming back. Screw this team.
    Go BLUE!!!

It really didn't matter once they officially brought back Zac Taylor anyways since no reputable defensive coordinator would join a coaching staff that is entering next season on the hot seat (or so you would hope). In the two full seasons Taylor has been the coach, not only does he have a winning percentage less than 20%, but he's been outscored by division opponents 355 to 202.

Best case scenario for the Bengals at this point is they don't waste a first or second round pick on a WR, find starters on both lines, and hope Burrow comes back to full strength and continues to progress next season. Even with all of that, they still won't win because they have a historically bad coach, but atleast there will be a foundation for the next coach in 2022.

Saves Zac the embarrassment of not being able to find anyone to take the job.

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I could totally see Miami drafting DeVonta Smith at #3. It would be a big surprise, for sure, but the connection is there. I skim a lot of other teams' subreddits, and Jets/Dolphins/Falcons fans are all over the place in regard to who they want. Generally speaking, though, most Jets fans are on the Fields bandwagon now, and both Dolphins/Falcons fans seem to either want Sewell or possibly trade down.

Way-too-early guesses:

Jags - Lawrence
    Jets - Fields
    Dolphins - Sewell
    Falcons - trades down for a team that wants Wilson/Lance
    Bengals - Surtain or Darrisaw, trades down for a team that wants Wilson/Lance
    I can't possibly see the Dolphins taking DeVonta Smith #3. He's not a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones uncoverable talent or a Tyreek Hill level game breaker. He does everything well, but does not have any elite traits that put him head and shoulders above all the other WRs in the draft class. My guess is they take Sewell or they trade back.

There's plenty of hungry up and comers that would jump at the opportunity to be an NFL DC.

They won't get Zimmer or anyone like that. But how much worse can anyone else be than Lou has been?

Count me as surprised Lou wasn't fired.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    There's plenty of hungry up and comers that would jump at the opportunity to be an NFL DC.

They won't get Zimmer or anyone like that. But how much worse can anyone else be than Lou has been?

Count me as surprised Lou wasn't fired.
    Or veterans who could take over as interim midseason and parlay it into the full time coaching job.

It’s happened before with this franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Or veterans who could take over as interim midseason and parlay it into the full time coaching job.

It’s happened before with this franchise.
    That's probably what Zac was afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    That's probably what Zac was afraid of.
    True but who’s to say it was in his control.

If you read the SI article, the Browns implored Taylor to make changes. They could have told him to fire Lou and bring in someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Was Willie Anderson viewed as a potential HoF tackle at #10 overall in his draft?

Was Andrew Whitworth viewed as a potential HoF tackle in the 2nd round of his draft?

Gonna need to be 100% certain that Sewell is Anthony Munoz to pay to move up. Not worth it to me. If you can get him at 5, fine. If not, there are a lot other Ts in this draft, and good ones. Ones who might turn out to be HoF worthy in their own right...
    I actually think maybe yeah on Anderson, but anyway we have Munoz who went #3 after barely playing at USC, so, you know, it does happen. Teams actually rarely miss when it comes to lineman taken in the top 5. It's about as solid a bet as you see.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

That’s literally not true on misses in top 5 as to line faithful. I did the research on last ten years of top 4 in the previous thread. Hang on, let me go find it and quote it.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-05-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

17. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-05-2021)

Here we go, from the last thread and a post I did there:

Here are the OT/IOL taken within first four picks since 2000:

Chris Samuels - 2000
    Leonard Davis - 2001
    Mike Williams - 2002
    Robert Gallery - 2004
    D’Brickashaw Ferguson - 2006
    Joe Thomas - 2007
    Jake Long - 2008
    Jason Smith - 2009
    Trent Williams - 2010
    Matt Kalil - 2012
    Eric Fisher - 2013
    Luke Joekl- 2013
    Lane Johnson - 2013
    Greg Robinson - 2014
    Andrew Thomas - 2020

A quick scan of that list tells me BUST is super common among o-line picked high in drafts over last 20 years, at least as common as bust at QB.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Sewell may well be Joe Thomas, but there are a LOT of misses and some huge busts on that list. Teams were so scarred after the great busts of 2012, 2013 and 2014 it was another five years until another lineman went top 4 in last year’s draft...

Turn Off Ads?