Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2021 NFL Draft

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2021 NFL Draft

Atlanta Falcons
    @AtlantaFalcons

We have to improve defensively.

With the fourth overall pick, we may do just that.

@MatthewTabeek's Mock Draft 1.0 is here ��
    8:36am · 8 Jan 2021
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah no, CBS is one of the last mocks I will look at. There new one that came out yesterday has Miami trading back to #8 and taking Parsons.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I look at Smith and Chase as 1a/b. Chase, being slightly bigger, and having worked with Burrow before, would be my choice if Sewell isn't there. But I would be fine with the Heisman winner, too.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I look at Smith and Chase as 1a/b. Chase, being slightly bigger, and having worked with Burrow before, would be my choice if Sewell isn't there. But I would be fine with the Heisman winner, too.
    Chase is the superior talent and it's not close in my opinion. As a sophomore he outshined the guy who just broke Randy Moss's rookie catches record.

There are 5 superior talents in this draft - Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Chase, and Rousseau. Both Chase and Rousseau will need to make up for their opt outs by having a good combine, though Rousseau way more than Chase.

2021 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Chase is the superior talent and it's not close in my opinion. As a sophomore he outshined the guy who just broke Randy Moss's rookie catches record.

There are 5 superior talents in this draft - Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Chase, and Rousseau. Both Chase and Rousseau will need to make up for their opt outs by having a good combine, though Rousseau way more than Chase.
    Chase has a higher ceiling but a higher bust potential IMO. The Burrow connection works for him though. If not for Burrow and Chase Smith he probably would have won the Heisman last year.

Smith is the safer pick but doesn’t have the ceiling of Chase. Smith has a larger body of work to pull from (3 yrs to 1 with Chase) including a game winning catch in the CFP as a sophomore so you know he’s clutch.

Has any QB been reunited with their top receiver from college?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Chase has a higher ceiling but a higher bust potential IMO. The Burrow connection works for him though. If not for Burrow and Chase Smith he probably would have won the Heisman last year.

Smith is the safer pick but doesn’t have the ceiling of Chase. Smith has a larger body of work to pull from (3 yrs to 1 with Chase) including a game winning catch in the CFP as a sophomore so you know he’s clutch.

Has any QB been reunited with their top receiver from college?
    Not many I could find. Haskins-McLaurin and Rudolph-Washington.

I believe Chase and Smith will be similar in speed, though I've seen reports on both of them getting around 4.4. If I'm being honest that's salivating for Chase who comes in at 6'1 208 where as its a little more concerning for Smith at 6'1 175 where you'd hope he'd be closer to Ruggs (4.27) than Jeudy (4.46) in straight speed. Not many guys can dip below the 4.4 mark but Smith should hope he can at least get closer to 4.40 than 4.45.

It really is fascinating the combination of those 3 at Alabama where Jeudy is a lights out route runner who gets incredible separation (just wait until he has a competent QB in Denver), Ruggs had the afterburners and Smith was the one with the sure hands.

Another interesting note is that Jaylen Waddle, not Smith, was seen by many as the most dangerous Alabama wide out. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Smith very likely doesn't win the Heisman if Waddle isn't hurt and plays the whole season. Metchie stepped up but it was still the Jones to Smith show. If Waddle is healthy there's probably a lot more balance.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 01-08-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Not many I could find. Haskins-McLaurin and Rudolph-Washington.

I believe Chase and Smith will be similar in speed, though I've seen reports on both of them getting around 4.4. If I'm being honest that's salivating for Chase who comes in at 6'1 208 where as its a little more concerning for Smith at 6'1 175 where you'd hope he'd be closer to Ruggs (4.27) than Jeudy (4.46) in straight speed. Not many guys can dip below the 4.4 mark but Smith should hope he can at least get closer to 4.40 than 4.45.

It really is fascinating the combination of those 3 at Alabama where Jeudy is a lights out route runner who gets incredible separation (just wait until he has a competent QB in Denver), Ruggs had the afterburners and Smith was the one with the sure hands.

Another interesting note is that Jaylen Waddle, not Smith, was seen by many as the most dangerous Alabama wide out. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Smith very likely doesn't win the Heisman if Waddle isn't hurt and plays the whole season. Metchie stepped up but it was still the Jones to Smith show. If Waddle is healthy there's probably a lot more balance.
    Speed is valuable, but good footwork for route running and YAC are more important . In 2020, Ruggs was clearly faster that Jefferson and Aiyuk, but they got separation more consistently, and when they caught he ball, gained more YAC.

Then again, you can run great routes and be elusive, but you have to catch the ball first. Jerry Jeudy really dropped his performance level (PFF Grades were petty poor) the last half of the year. He dropped a lot of balls.

Tee Higgins had a good year. Between him and Claypool’s 2020 success (both ran over a 4.50 40 time), I think bigger receivers can get more snaps and throws in the NFL over speedburners that can’t get open

I know sometimes these guys lie, but the Miami GM and HC said in their post year press conference that Tua is the starting QB for 2021. I tend to believe them, since they were so specific.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Tua’s going to have to be pretty bad next year for Miami to move on but this one very uncommon thing happens with Josh Rosen (new coach was a big part of it) and then WFT moves on from Haskins and all the talking heads think teams are going to throw away every rookie QB who doesn’t come out blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Speed is valuable, but good footwork for route running and YAC are more important . In 2020, Ruggs was clearly faster that Jefferson and Aiyuk, but they got separation more consistently, and when they caught he ball, gained more YAC.

Then again, you can run great routes and be elusive, but you have to catch the ball first. Jerry Jeudy really dropped his performance level (PFF Grades were petty poor) the last half of the year. He dropped a lot of balls.

Tee Higgins had a good year. Between him and Claypool’s 2020 success (both ran over a 4.50 40 time), I think bigger receivers can get more snaps and throws in the NFL over speedburners that can’t get open
    Claypool and Higgins also had the benefit of strong QB play. Jeudy had a rough year because of that. I’ve read articles that talk about how painful it was to watch tape on Denver because Jeudy was getting incredible separation and Lock was just killing him. Heck I remember watching him at UFs Friday Night Lights junior showcase where he ran an out and up and just embarrassed the DB. If he gets better QB play he’s a 1,200/10 + guy every year.

Claypool and Higgins also had the benefit of strong QB play. Jeudy had a rough year because of that. I’ve read articles that talk about how painful it was to watch tape on Denver because Jeudy was getting incredible separation and Lock was just killing him. Heck I remember watching him at UFs Friday Night Lights junior showcase where he ran an out and up and just embarrassed the DB. If he gets better QB play he’s a 1,200/10 + guy every year.
    Of course you are right on the impact of QB performance on receiver production. The game against NO where all the QBs failed COVID protocol was a complete wash.
    Jeudy has the route running ability and elusive running style to complement Courtney Sutton next year in a dangerous pass attack, but he has to show improvement from his rookie year.

Bengals like Receivers with size.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?