Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Polite Society is a blast. Go see it if it's playing near you.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

RichRed (08-08-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 this afternoon. I thought it was awesome and the 149 minute run time didn't seem like too much. But there were parts of it that were difficult to watch. I absolutely would not recommend taking young children to this film.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 this afternoon. I thought it was awesome and the 149 minute run time didn't seem like too much. But there were parts of it that were difficult to watch. I absolutely would not recommend taking young children to this film.
    Took my eight year old and was kinda questioning it. He did OK but he also made it through Multiverse of Madness which was more intense IMO.

It was definitely great though. Glad they are supposedly saving Quill for Secret Wars.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They call me "chef"

All my toddler needs is enough family friendly footage to make a 4 minute YouTube comp of young adult Groot.

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-05-2023),Roy Tucker (12-18-2023),WVRed (05-05-2023)

I saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One Friday. Good movie with perhaps the most astonishing stunt I have ever seen a lead actor perform: Tom Cruise, not a stuntman, riding a motorcycle off a cliff.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

LeatherPants (07-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One Friday. Good movie with perhaps the most astonishing stunt I have ever seen a lead actor perform: Tom Cruise, not a stuntman, riding a motorcycle off a cliff.
    I think that scene was hyped so that they could keep the next scene a secret, which I thought was even better. Not spoiling anything but the next scene was maybe the best action scene I’ve ever watched.

I’ll wait until part 2 comes out, but overall it’s not as good as Fallout (but then this is just half a story).
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 07-16-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

He did that jump like 6 times, I think. That scene and everything that came afterwards was just brilliant. Definitely the most fun I've had at the movie theater in a long time.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

LeatherPants (07-18-2023)

I thought Oppenheimer was excellent. There’s a bit of an assumption you know his story and a lot of the people in his orbit, which is maybe a big assumption, so occasionally it’s a little confusing figuring out who is who and why they matter.

Saw Barbie today. Pretty clever and builds a great Barbie world. Somewhat ham-handed though on slamming men.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw Barbie today. Pretty clever and builds a great Barbie world. Somewhat ham-handed though on slamming men.
    My wife and I saw it last Saturday. Our daughter-in-law and son wanted to see it (actually my son wanted to see "Oppenheimer" again). I was bored by "Barbie," but then I'm hardly in the target demographic for the film. The only line that made me laugh was when "Barbie" said something to the effect that she wasn't pretty anymore, with a comment that Margot Robbie wasn't a good choice to try to make that point; no argument here, she is gorgeous.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I thought Oppenheimer was excellent. There’s a bit of an assumption you know his story and a lot of the people in his orbit, which is maybe a big assumption, so occasionally it’s a little confusing figuring out who is who and why they matter.
    Seconded. This will win best picture. Murphy will win best actor and Robert Downey Jr. will win best supporting actor. Damon will get a Golden Globe nom, but won't win. He basically plays Matt Damon with a mustache. No actresses will be nominated for an Oscar, however. This is very definitely a film centered around white men, accurately reflecting history.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Seconded. This will win best picture. Murphy will win best actor and Robert Downey Jr. will win best supporting actor. Damon will get a Golden Globe nom, but won't win. He basically plays Matt Damon with a mustache. No actresses will be nominated for an Oscar, however. This is very definitely a film centered around white men, accurately reflecting history.
    Great film and I agree with all of that. From a historical accuracy standpoint, they went to lengths to even nail period-appropriate Hamilton watches for the film. Hamilton was an incredibly important contributor to the US WWII effort, issuing a ton of timepieces for the US military. I picked up collecting and repairing vintage Hamiltons during Covid, so it was fun to see if I could spot them during the film:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/watches-oppenheimer

I've restored three of the styles used- the Cushion B, a modern quartz version of the Piping Rock (originally issued to the 1928 New York Yankees), and an Endicott (below). While none of the three were specific military-issued watches (particularly the ornate, fragile Piping Rock), the vintage bund strap on the Endicott is the same style that would have been used in WWII.

Name:  1938 Hamilton Endicott.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  37.7 KB
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

19. Likes:

LeatherPants (08-28-2023),M2 (08-29-2023),marcshoe (09-02-2023),WrongVerb (08-29-2023)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEA-udzjjQ

Trailer for Boys in the Boat just dropped. It’s a Clooney directed movie based on the book of the same name that tells the story of the University of Washington crew team that won the 1936 Olympic gold medal in Berlin.

I was a rower in college, so I might be a little biased, but the book is fantastic and I highly recommend it. Looks like they did a good job with the movie.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-23-2023)

Variety---

SAG-AFTRA Approves Deal to End Historic Strike

SAG-AFTRA negotiators have approved a tentative agreement that will end the longest actors strike against the film and TV studios in Hollywood history.

In an announcement Wednesday, the union said the 118-day strike would officially end at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday.

The union’s negotiating committee approved the deal on a unanimous vote. The agreement next goes to the SAG-AFTRA national board for approval on Friday.

The two sides spent the last several days putting the finishing touches on the deal, which will see the first-ever protections for actors against artificial intelligence and a historic pay increase. The deal will see most minimums increase by 7% — two percent above the increases received by the Writers Guild of America and the Directors Guild of America.

The deal also includes a “streaming participation bonus,” according to an email sent to SAG-AFTRA members, as well as increases in pension and health contributions. The union said the contract is worth more than $1 billion in total.

“We have arrived at a contract that will enable SAG-AFTRA members from every category to build sustainable careers,” the union said in the email. “Many thousands of performers now and into the future will benefit from this work.”

Kevin E. West, a member of the committee, said “The final vote was unanimous. That’s a difficult thing to accomplish,” West said, speaking outside union headquarters. “It’s honestly been a really long two weeks.”

He said the final deal is “not perfect — nothing is,” but that getting to this outcome was an “extraordinary” achievement.

Though the union did not get everything it wanted, he said it would be back seeking more in the next negotiation in 2026.

The full details are expected to be released Friday, after the national board vote.

The AMPTP delivered its “last, best and final” offer on Friday, which included an increased bonus for actors who appear on the most-watched streaming shows. The offer did not include a key union priority — a share of revenue from each streaming platform.

SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating committee spent 12 hours on Sunday crafting its response. As of Monday, the union said that there remained differences on “several key items.” The AMPTP modified its AI language in a meeting on Monday night, leading to a 10-hour SAG-AFTRA committee meeting on Tuesday.

The committee met again for six hours on Wednesday to conclude its deliberations and take the vote.

Union members will still have to vote to ratify an agreement, a process that is likely to take at least a week or more. But the strike has already been called off, meaning that actors can return to work on Thursday.

Most TV and film production has been shut down since the writers went on strike six months ago. The actors union joined them on the picket lines in mid-July, shutting down all but a relatively small number of independent film productions.

Studios have warned that if a tentative agreement was not reached soon, the 2023-24 TV season would be lost, and next summer’s theatrical season would be crippled.

Before this year, the longest actors strike against the TV and film companies ran for 95 days in 1980. The 2023 strike eclipsed that mark on Oct. 17.

Is Napoleon a good movie? Debatable.

But I thought it was very entertaining.

Turn Off Ads?