Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Dune is my favorite book.

This movie is perfection.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just saw Dune.

Magnificent.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I seem to be the only person somewhat disappointed by it.

They spent months advertising Zendaya and Bautista…they were both in this first chapter for all of five minutes.

I miss William Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I seem to be the only person somewhat disappointed by it.

They spent months advertising Zendaya and Bautista…they were both in this first chapter for all of five minutes.

I miss William Hurt.
    Chani and Rabban will both be major players in part 2.

Isaac is so much better than William Hurt in the role of Leto. I enjoy the sci fi version but William Hurt sleepwalked through that performance and cashed his check.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm a sucker for Wes Anderson movies, and I get that some people aren't, so you may be immune from the charms of The French Dispatch, but it is charming. It's a love letter to a near-alternate reality. The visuals are meticulous. It's about writers, and it captures the sort of Mid-Atlantic writing style that sprung out of the Lost Generation and defined the bulk of the 20th century. And the acting is superb. Jeffrey Wright is so good in this as a guy who wants you to be telling you a story about someone else and inadvertently tells you everything about himself. I really hope someone has the good sense to throw some hardware at this film.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Betterread (12-29-2021)

They call me "chef"

I've seen some people say French Dispatch loses a step...which actually intrigues me as I'm not the biggest fan of his post-Moonrise Kingdom advanced cuteness phase. Bottle Rocket through Life Aquatic were the movie anthems of my youth (also liked Fantastic Mr. Fox) so I'm curious to see this one when it's on streaming platforms.

9. Likes:

Betterread (12-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I've seen some people say French Dispatch loses a step...which actually intrigues me as I'm not the biggest fan of his post-Moonrise Kingdom advanced cuteness phase. Bottle Rocket through Life Aquatic were the movie anthems of my youth (also liked Fantastic Mr. Fox) so I'm curious to see this one when it's on streaming platforms.
    It's worth seeing in a movie house, especially if you've got a good arthouse theater near you. The visuals, like lifting the iconic house from Tati's Mon Oncle, pay off on a big screen. I think French Dispatch is more in the Life Aquatic vein in that it's telling more deeply personal stories. It's actually about the attachments more than the detachment (I'd argue the lazy dismissals of Anderson pretty much always miss that). If someone wants to deduct points for Anderson landing in his own pocket with this film, I can't say they're wrong. It is most definitely a Wes Anderson film, but he really stuck the landing.
    Last edited by M2; 11-11-2021 at 03:12 PM.

11. Likes:

Betterread (12-29-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Currently watching the best Christmas movie ever: Die Hard.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

Kinsm (12-31-2021)

Was wondering of someone could help me identify a movie. It's a hostage movie somewhat similar to Die Hard, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Some things I can remember, but no guarantee since it was a while ago.

1. It could have been a theater movie, but it could have been a made-for-tv movie too because I definitely watched it on TV.
    2. I think I may have watched it in the mid-late 90's. It wasn't earlier, because I didn't even have a TV before then, but of course it could have been made earlier.
    3. The plot was similar to Die Hard. There were some people held hostage in a tall building (hotel or office), and there was a woman who knew her badass boyfriend (or husband) would rescue them.
    4. The boyfriend, I believe, was named "Buddy". I remember distinctly that the woman threatened the hostage takers by saying something like "Wait 'til Buddy gets here", or something like that.
    5. There was a scene when "Buddy" tossed one of the hostage takers down an elevator shaft.
    6. Buddy could have been Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck or someone like that.

One caveat is that memories are notoriously unreliable, but that's the best I can do.

I might need more than that, but if it’s Reynolds…then maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I might need more than that, but if it’s Reynolds…then maybe
    Nope, I watched that and it wasn't the movie.

You’re going to have to give me more than that then.

Oh well, that's all I got after 25+ years. It was worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Was wondering of someone could help me identify a movie. It's a hostage movie somewhat similar to Die Hard, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Some things I can remember, but no guarantee since it was a while ago.

1. It could have been a theater movie, but it could have been a made-for-tv movie too because I definitely watched it on TV.
    2. I think I may have watched it in the mid-late 90's. It wasn't earlier, because I didn't even have a TV before then, but of course it could have been made earlier.
    3. The plot was similar to Die Hard. There were some people held hostage in a tall building (hotel or office), and there was a woman who knew her badass boyfriend (or husband) would rescue them.
    4. The boyfriend, I believe, was named "Buddy". I remember distinctly that the woman threatened the hostage takers by saying something like "Wait 'til Buddy gets here", or something like that.
    5. There was a scene when "Buddy" tossed one of the hostage takers down an elevator shaft.
    6. Buddy could have been Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck or someone like that.

One caveat is that memories are notoriously unreliable, but that's the best I can do.
    Here's a list of possibilities - https://filmschoolrejects.com/movies...ally-die-hard/.

Just watched Don’t Look Up. I wanted to laugh but I was also horrified. It was over the top but not that far from reality.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

757690 (01-08-2022),M2 (01-05-2022),redsmetz (01-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?