Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

Chip R (12-19-2022),RFS62 (12-29-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Big props for Glass Onion.
    Even better than the first one, and I absolutely loved the first one.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-21-2022),RFS62 (12-29-2022)

Glass Onion was a mess for me. Overused tropes and terrible writing. The only thing it was good at was being predictable. I'm annoyed that James Bond fell this hard.

7. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    But honestly, I love 80s and 90s nostalgia and Maverick just didn’t really tickle that bone for me. I def seem like an outlier with this movie, though.
    I wanted a day yesterday to just relax and finally watched the movie with all the hype it got. Similarly I love nostalgia and many of Jennifer Connelly's older films.

Same deal with me: thought it was on the lower end of average. Some cool flying scenes but that's about it. Can't believe people I actually read some people cried in some parts of it!

Maverick failed the believability test for me. Top Gun was 35 years ago. What have you been doing in all that time Pete Mitchell? They just armwaved something dumb. There could have been an interesting story there but Cruise wanted to show off him doing his own stunts.

Like what ShyGuy said, the flying scenes were pretty cool. But I can watch a documentary on the Military Channel for that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

ShyGuy (01-02-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Saw Babylon this weekend. Could have trimmed an hour from it and still had basically the same film. The writer/director also blatantly ripped off at least 5 other films. At one point, one of the main characters was pleading for his life to a gangster who had been sent to shoot him, and I kept waiting for the guy to break out with "LOOK INTO YOUR HEART!" Probably worth seeing once, but try to see it for free.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Maverick failed the believability test for me. Top Gun was 35 years ago. What have you been doing in all that time Pete Mitchell? They just armwaved something dumb. There could have been an interesting story there but Cruise wanted to show off him doing his own stunts.

Like what ShyGuy said, the flying scenes were pretty cool. But I can watch a documentary on the Military Channel for that.
    The 35 year time difference didnt really bother me. I do love a redemption story and so I thought and heard that's what the movie was all about.

But I felt like no emotional connection to the characters or reason to root for them so to speak

Watched the movie “Bullitt” on TMC tonight for about the 20th time.

The guy driving the black Charger was Bill Hickman. Did a lot of stunt driving. Good story here.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/cultur...unt-driver/amp
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

Chip R (01-13-2023)

I thought was a good popcorn flick but honestly you could have left another hour of that on the cutting room floor and not noticed.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

16. Likes:

Chip R (01-13-2023)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood- one of the all time greats. Super.

I rewatched Heat in 4K and forgot how awesome that movie is.

Also- saw Goodfellas for the first time in 30 years...even better than I remembered.

18. Likes:

M2 (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

I thought was a good popcorn flick but honestly you could have left another hour of that on the cutting room floor and not noticed.
    Given that the first one was instantly disposable there's no way I'm watching the second.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Kinsm (01-08-2023),WrongVerb (01-08-2023)

Watched Amsterdam last night.

Well, tried to watch Amsterdam last night. I'm not sure what that was, but it was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Given that the first one was instantly disposable there's no way I'm watching the second.
    My daughter who is 10 wanted to see it...she's my movie buddy which is pretty cool. We also saw the latest Puss and Boots which from an illustration stand point was awesome.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

23. Likes:

757690 (01-08-2023),M2 (01-08-2023)

They call me "chef"

The Menu was a very fun, tidy, entertaining, twisted movie.

Black Adam, like all DC movies, was embarrassingly bad and unfunny and gross to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The Menu was a very fun, tidy, entertaining, twisted movie.
    I saw “The Menu” and while I thought it was overall well made, I have a serious problem with it, beyond the massive plot hole that everyone else is talking about. (It’s an absurdist movie, so plot holes shouldn’t matter, imo). Without ruining any of the movie, here is my issue with it.

It focuses on the issue of “class” mocking the elite class. But it fails in a significant way on this topic. The movie and script itself fall victim to the same class problem that it is drawing attention to.

The movie divides the characters into “us”, the working class, and “them” the diners. All the diners are well developed characters, but almost none of the workers are given any development at all, and are treated throughout the movie as background, as “the help” given no story or agency. Their only role is to serve the Chef and the customers. The filmmakers treat them the same way that the diners they are mocking, treat all service people, as meaningless, disposable servants.

If one is to make a movie about class, and has the actual working class as players in the movie, they should make them an integral part of the plot, characters that the audience cares about. Personally, I would make them the actual heroes of the movie, not glorified set pieces.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?