Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I saw “The Menu” and while I thought it was overall well made, I have a serious problem with it, beyond the massive plot hole that everyone else is talking about. (It’s an absurdist movie, so plot holes shouldn’t matter, imo). Without ruining any of the movie, here is my issue with it.

It focuses on the issue of “class” mocking the elite class. But it fails in a significant way on this topic. The movie and script itself fall victim to the same class problem that it is drawing attention to.

The movie divides the characters into “us”, the working class, and “them” the diners. All the diners are well developed characters, but almost none of the workers are given any development at all, and are treated throughout the movie as background, as “the help” given no story or agency. Their only role is to serve the Chef and the customers. The filmmakers treat them the same way that the diners they are mocking, treat all service people, as meaningless, disposable servants.

If one is to make a movie about class, and has the actual working class as players in the movie, they should make them an integral part of the plot, characters that the audience cares about. Personally, I would make them the actual heroes of the movie, not glorified set pieces.
    There was 1 actual working class person in the movie. The incorrect/deluded class classification was by the antagonist, not the writers, IMO.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    There was 1 actual working class person in the movie. The incorrect/deluded class classification was by the antagonist, not the writers, IMO.
    This sounds like one of the rationalizations I give back to a reader who points out a flaw in one of my scripts

Discussing it any deeper could ruin it for anyone who still wants to see it, so I will just say that it’s ironic that the filmmakers seem to be part of the very class of people that they are mocking in this script.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This sounds like one of the rationalizations I give back to a reader who points out a flaw in one of my scripts

Discussing it any deeper could ruin it for anyone who still wants to see it, so I will just say that it’s ironic that the filmmakers seem to be part of the very class of people that they are mocking in this script.
    The movie is a simple, delicious cheeseburger and not one of the menu’s courses.

6. Likes:

757690 (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    My daughter who is 10 wanted to see it...she's my movie buddy which is pretty cool. We also saw the latest Puss and Boots which from an illustration stand point was awesome.
    I would totally see Puss n' Boots.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Saw The Menu in the theater and thought that it was original and clever. Reminded me of Ready or Not. I don't concern myself with class issues in the movie. Watched it again with the wife and she hated it with a passion. "How much longer?"

If someone could DM me with the plot hole, that would be great.

Top Gun Maverick was fantastic
    Avatar was 3+ hours of visual spectacle. Could have been just 2+ hours of visual spectacle.

No one loved Knives Out more than me, and for about 2/3 of Glass Onion I was there, but but the ending was just Hollywood Cliché 101. Not up to the standard he set in KO.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Saw The Fabelmans today. Pretty much a fictionalized autobiography of Spielberg’s early life. I liked it but it did meander around a little too much. Some astute editing would have streamlined the movie. But entertaining and very watchable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

A. I saw M3gan today. It was kind of silly and predictable, but definitively covered some dense AI themes in an Isaac Azimov sense and had some fun social commentary on kids being addicted to devices. It was worth the watch.

B. The Menu was solid - for me it was partially compromised by the people next to us talking loudly through the whole thing. I thought it was kind of on the nose, but I found it to be an entertaining watch.

C. I saw White Noise on Netflix. I wasn’t really familiar with the source material. It seemed pretty relevant to modern times.

Glass Onion will be next. Never say Knives Out - do I need to see that first?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Glass Onion will be next. Never say Knives Out - do I need to see that first?
    Not at all

Vengeance is streaming on Amazon and a fun 2022 flick.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-27-2023)

15. Likes:

M2 (02-21-2023),RiverRat13 (02-10-2023)

Watched the 2012 Spielberg movie “Lincoln” tonight. I somehow had missed eating it over the past 10 years.

What an excellent movie. Daniel Day-Lewis richly deserved the best actor Oscar. The movie showed how messy American politics were then and things haven’t changed much.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2023),cumberlandreds (02-21-2023),RFS62 (02-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Watched the 2012 Spielberg movie “Lincoln” tonight. I somehow had missed eating it over the past 10 years.

What an excellent movie. Daniel Day-Lewis richly deserved the best actor Oscar. The movie showed how messy American politics were then and things haven’t changed much.
    I and my spousal unit went to the theater and saw this one when it came out. It was really good and I believe portrayed that era very well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I didn’t like that movie the first time I saw it, but very much changed my opinion on a rewatch. I got too caught up in what the movie wasn’t the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I didn’t like that movie the first time I saw it, but very much changed my opinion on a rewatch. I got too caught up in what the movie wasn’t the first time.
    I'm told he doesn't even hunt vampires in it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm told he doesn't even hunt vampires in it.
    Which I’m pretty sure was pivotal to the passage of the 13th Amendment.

I love the Tommy Lee Jones scene as Thaddeus Stevens blasting Lee Pace on the House floor. All timer.

22. Likes:

RFS62 (02-25-2023),Roy Tucker (02-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?