Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Disney announced 3 more star wars movies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watched "Ghosted" on Apple TV+ last night (Chris Evans, Ana De Armas). You know those movies you see in the theater and wish that you'd waited for streaming? Yeah, this is one of those, just without the theatrical release.

BUT...if you can stomach a formulaic spy action rom-com, there are some fun reasons to watch, though. No spoilers.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So, saw Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania last weekend. Critics hate it. Fans like it. I get both takes. Keep in mind that I'm not a fan of Kang, mainly because I think time travel plotlines have been a bit overdone in both comics and films recently. But I have to say that Jonathan Majors is a truly menacing figure as the long-time Marvel villian. You also get a pretty good appreciation for both Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, after spending two movies forgetting that they were once superheroes themselves. But a warning- there's a LOT going on in the film.

No Micheal Pena, which stinks, but there is some comic relief, even if the plotline(s) for teh supporting characters is (with one major exception) pretty formulaic. In short, there's a good chance you've seen this film before, just with different characters in a different universe. But it's well done, and furthers the Kang plot that'll lead up to the next Avengers movie, and develops Cassie Lang's "origin" as a hero, (teasing a possible Young Avengers series/film?) so it's worth seeing.

Probably some of the venom thrown at the film by critics is due to the fact that you really have to watch the Loki series to have a solid understanding of how the story is progressing. And maybe only long-time serious Marvel fans will understand the menace Kang represents, while also getting the significance of both the mid-credit and end-credit cut scenes.

The critics and even fans of the movies clearly don’t understand or have never read the story lines. I have those Avengers comics with the Kang. Modok. The Collector cycle. That is how Modok looks. Yet fans of the movies can’t understand what it was and that it was just made up now.

I never thought they could make these characters into a movie before CGI. It’s the only way you can now. Yet the actual fans are criticizing why so many green screens and CGI. This isn’t some art film here. Of course it’s going to look like Star Wars too.

Only disappointing thing is that Iron Man. Steve Rogers. The main Avengers basically will not be around to do the battles. Is Vision still around? He’s a main Avenger when they battle the Kangs. Where’s the Collector in all this? You’ve got a great actor playing the part too.

5. Likes:

SteelSD (04-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The critics and even fans of the movies clearly don’t understand or have never read the story lines. I have those Avengers comics with the Kang. Modok. The Collector cycle. That is how Modok looks. Yet fans of the movies can’t understand what it was and that it was just made up now.

I never thought they could make these characters into a movie before CGI. It’s the only way you can now. Yet the actual fans are criticizing why so many green screens and CGI. This isn’t some art film here. Of course it’s going to look like Star Wars too.

Only disappointing thing is that Iron Man. Steve Rogers. The main Avengers basically will not be around to do the battles. Is Vision still around? He’s a main Avenger when they battle the Kangs. Where’s the Collector in all this? You’ve got a great actor playing the part too.
    I believe that Vision (the white version) is going to have his own Disney+ show. And I agree with you regarding complaints about CGI and effects. I have a ton of those books too- in fact, I have a copy of Kang's first appearance (Fantastic Four #19, as Immortus), and a ton of the bronze age books. I'm not a big Kang fan, and can understand that it's difficult for today's moviegoers to really "get" the character and his motivations though. It's loooong story to tell and people don't exactly have peristent attention spans currently. Unfortunately, I think one of the best stories- the Korvac saga- doesn't really translate well to the big screen, which stinks.

And am I the only one who really wants to see a Starhawk cameo- if not in a Guardians flick- at least somewhere along the way?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I believe that Vision (the white version) is going to have his own Disney+ show. And I agree with you regarding complaints about CGI and effects. I have a ton of those books too- in fact, I have a copy of Kang's first appearance (Fantastic Four #19, as Immortus), and a ton of the bronze age books. I'm not a big Kang fan, and can understand that it's difficult for today's moviegoers to really "get" the character and his motivations though. It's loooong story to tell and people don't exactly have peristent attention spans currently. Unfortunately, I think one of the best stories- the Korvac saga- doesn't really translate well to the big screen, which stinks.

And am I the only one who really wants to see a Starhawk cameo- if not in a Guardians flick- at least somewhere along the way?
    I just bought the Omnibus Avengers 1-20. Huge. On original paper with ads. Worth the price for me. I didn’t know Kang went back to FF #19.

I enjoy when the movies show all these characters. I dislike some of the subtleties of it though. The Shocker in the 3rd reboot of Spider Man. I don’t expect the same costume as in the comics but I would barely know it was that character until Keaton says Now you’re the Shocker.

At least in the last SM movie they had Electro look closer to the character and Defoe looked better as the Goblin with the hood and glasses instead of that mask.

The merging of original characters with the modern take is tough I’m sure. I do turn into man yelling at clouds though when I get anal about how it’s shown or portrayed

8. Likes:

SteelSD (04-22-2023)

My understanding is Vision is supposed to be a central part of the Armor Wars movie (Don Cheadle) but that could be changed as well.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

SteelSD (04-22-2023)

I just bought the Omnibus Avengers 1-20. Huge. On original paper with ads. Worth the price for me. I didn’t know Kang went back to FF #19.
    Well, you figure that Marvel needed to give the FF something. I mean, Avengers #1 gave us Loki. X-Men #1 gave us Magneto. Fantastic Four #1 offered...The Mole Man.

And they still took Kang away and gave him to the Avengers.

--Ted Williams

Well, you figure that Marvel needed to give the FF something. I mean, Avengers #1 gave us Loki. X-Men #1 gave us Magneto. Fantastic Four #1 offered...The Mole Man.

And they still took Kang away and gave him to the Avengers.

Yes. The Mole Men. Not very good villain to begin with. But Dr Doom. That was Darth Vadar level.

Just too bad that the movie could not get better actor for Dr Doom. I thought the Silver Surfer was good. The holy grail of comics when I was a pre teen was getting a SS comic after they discounted the series.

I never collected X Men. Not when they revamped it either. It just exploded in popularity after that though.

13. Likes:

SteelSD (04-22-2023)

Yes. The Mole Men. Not very good villain to begin with. But Dr Doom. That was Darth Vadar level.

Just too bad that the movie could not get better actor for Dr Doom. I thought the Silver Surfer was good. The holy grail of comics when I was a pre teen was getting a SS comic after they discounted the series.

I never collected X Men. Not when they revamped it either. It just exploded in popularity after that though.
    Oh, yes. Doom as a comic book character is great. You're right about the way he's been cast though- way over the top in both cases. Hopefully they do a better job going forward because it's hard to have an FF without him.

I actually also own a copy of Silver Surfer #1, but didn't collect the series and don't have a copy of FF #48, tragically. Great character who represents one of the main reasons I leaned strongly toward Marvel when I started collecting. Their characters were created with flaws as part of the design; some (like Norrin Radd) even pitiable. I never felt that the DC did a good job of humanizing their stable of heroes, with a couple of notable exceptions (1the Neal Adams "Speedy drug addict" stuff, and the introduction of John Stewart). Tragic beginnings? Sure, but more as a way of explaining "why" or "where" rather than building the "who".

And I definitely did collect X-Men. Big time. I stopped a few years ago because it became virtually impossible to follow, and I felt the stories were mostly junk. But to that point, I'm missing only four or five books...with #1 sadly being among them. Had a chance to score it at a used book store nearly 20 years ago, but we were moving and I didn't want to spend the $1,200. I've kicked myself daily for that decision because now that book is pretty much out of reach. At least I've never actually seen a Hulk #181 in the wild, but that X-Men #1 is something I held in my damned hands.

Disney is going to be at a critical juncture when replacing Hugh Jackman, I think. In fact, given the exit of most of the main actors (to your point), that single decision may determine what the future holds. Screw it up, and it could launch a torpedo at the genre.

--Ted Williams

15. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (04-22-2023)

Oh, yes. Doom as a comic book character is great. You're right about the way he's been cast though- way over the top in both cases. Hopefully they do a better job going forward because it's hard to have an FF without him.

I actually also own a copy of Silver Surfer #1, but didn't collect the series and don't have a copy of FF #48, tragically. Great character who represents one of the main reasons I leaned strongly toward Marvel when I started collecting. Their characters were created with flaws as part of the design; some (like Norrin Radd) even pitiable. I never felt that the DC did a good job of humanizing their stable of heroes, with a couple of notable exceptions (1the Neal Adams "Speedy drug addict" stuff, and the introduction of John Stewart). Tragic beginnings? Sure, but more as a way of explaining "why" or "where" rather than building the "who".

And I definitely did collect X-Men. Big time. I stopped a few years ago because it became virtually impossible to follow, and I felt the stories were mostly junk. But to that point, I'm missing only four or five books...with #1 sadly being among them. Had a chance to score it at a used book store nearly 20 years ago, but we were moving and I didn't want to spend the $1,200. I've kicked myself daily for that decision because now that book is pretty much out of reach. At least I've never actually seen a Hulk #181 in the wild, but that X-Men #1 is something I held in my damned hands.

Disney is going to be at a critical juncture when replacing Hugh Jackman, I think. In fact, given the exit of most of the main actors (to your point), that single decision may determine what the future holds. Screw it up, and it could launch a torpedo at the genre.

I had the Hulk when Wolverine was introduced but sold that in the mid 90s. Like a lot if my baseball cards and Sporting News from the 70s.

It’s interesting how X Men were almost cancelled in 75. I bought everything Spider Man. Marvel Team Up I loved. Daredevil. Loved that. Never bought the Frank Miller version. But after that movie and The terrible way he was portrayed as some brooding playboy. Character was almost too close to Batman in some ways.

To me anyways. I did enjoy the show a lot more. The actor was good. Kingpin was good but always saw him as a Spidey villain more.

I always enjoyed the misfit team ups like the Defenders. Still waiting for a Valkeryie movie. I mean they tried Howard the Duck? Why not Valk.

I have not purchased Disney channel. How many of these apps can I pay for at this point. But I imagine most of these characte are better off on the small screen.

Also green talks better than what character we want to see.
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 04-22-2023 at 04:50 PM.

They call me "chef"

This phase of the movies has been mostly a mess but the TV shows have all been pretty solid, if you ignore every finale episode other than the ones for She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. The shows seem to be both taking the shared universe building more seriously and also taking it the least seriously in the name of just having fun while the movies seem somehow adrift and also stuck in a way that’s made them less meaningful to the big meta story and also less light and fun, IMO.

(Wakanda has been my favorite of this phase. Haven’t seen Ant Man 3 yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    This phase of the movies has been mostly a mess but the TV shows have all been pretty solid, if you ignore every finale episode other than the ones for She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. The shows seem to be both taking the shared universe building more seriously and also taking it the least seriously in the name of just having fun while the movies seem somehow adrift and also stuck and it’s been less exciting and less fun, IMO.

I’m just happy they brought in Sub Mariner. Was hoping to see that for FF but as previously said they picked some actors that didn’t fit. Just something about it was cheap and off.

Another comic I loved were The Invaders. Cap. Bucky. Sub Mariner. Original Human Torch. Fighting Nazis. Wish that could’ve have been done.

The Hydra aspect came after WW 2. I enjoyed it with the Winter Soldier. And the Stenko? Cap comics were great. Besides Kirby. Stenko was great at presenting CA.

It's going to be interesting to see how Marvel handles Jonathan Majors moving forward. He practically carried the Ant Man movie before his arrest and Kang is going to be an overarching presence in both the movies and TV shows (Loki, Moon Knight) moving forward.

I've seen Damson Idris floated as a possible replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how Marvel handles Jonathan Majors moving forward. He practically carried the Ant Man movie before his arrest and Kang is going to be an overarching presence in both the movies and TV shows (Loki, Moon Knight) moving forward.

I've seen Damson Idris floated as a possible replacement.

He also had a ton of people who had been holding their tongue about how much of an a-hole he is get their chance to finally talk about it publicly. My guess is if he has no legal consequences people will forget and not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I thought Wakanda was a disaster. Lead character couldn't carry the movie.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?