Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Took my daughter to Wonka and we both loved it…thought Timothee Chalamet was perfect in the lead role.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw “The Holdovers” at the Mariemont over the weekend. Good movie and good story but wasn’t keen on the ending.

Seeing a movie set in 1970-71 filmed in sepia tones made me feel old.
    We went to see this when it first came out. We liked it and we both said the ending left you a little unsatisfied. I think maybe they were setting up a sequel.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw “The Holdovers” at the Mariemont over the weekend. Good movie and good story but wasn’t keen on the ending.

Seeing a movie set in 1970-71 filmed in sepia tones made me feel old.
    I watched it last night (it’s on Peacock for all you new subscribers before you cancel). Really liked it. Just a good solid character story, didn’t try to do too much. I’m always a big Alexander Payne fan.

The wife and I saw The Boys in the Boat at the local googleplex. A sturdy and well-told story. And we got to boo Hitler.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I watched it last night (it’s on Peacock for all you new subscribers before you cancel). Really liked it. Just a good solid character story, didn’t try to do too much. I’m always a big Alexander Payne fan.
    I thought The Holdovers was great and the ending was just about perfect. Won’t talk about it in detail yet for spoiler-y reasons.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (01-23-2024),Roy Tucker (01-23-2024)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Finally got the chance to see Poor Things yesterday, as it just started popping up in theaters around Dayton (other than at The Neon).

Definitely warrants multiple viewings, definitely not for everyone. A few people walked out. Really, really strange film, but I thought it was hilarious. Lots of slapstick, physical comedy. Mark Ruffalo, I thought was just as good as Emma Stone. Like Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, he really elevated the film for me. Acting aside, the writing, art direction, cinematography, and score were all phenomenal. Reminds me of a Peter Greenaway film.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Ryan Gosling being nominated for Barbie and Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig not being nominated is objectively hilarious.

10. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2024),LeatherPants (01-23-2024),NebraskaRed (01-23-2024),RedTeamGo! (01-24-2024)

I've seen The Holdovers twice, once in theaters and once at home. I liked it even more the second time.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a better way for the movie to end.

And I finally saw Oppenheimer. It was fine. A movie more appreciated than enjoyed.

12. Likes:

RichRed (01-23-2024),Roy Tucker (01-23-2024)

Not sure how I feel about ‘Killersof the Flower Moon. I saw it this past weekend, it was a good movie about a subject that certainly should be told and I appreciate that it’ll get additional viewership from nominations for awards but…it most certainly didn’t feel like a best picture. I think they could have cut 20+ minutes from it as well.

I also think ‘Holdovers could have cut 10+ as well but was a more entertaining film.

Just my humble opinion.

I’m lagging in film viewership, haven’t seen most of the others deemed best picture worthy but I have to think one of them edges those out.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Saw "Past Lives" (Paramount+) and "Society of the Snow" (Netflix) this past week, both of which I'd rank as two of the best movies of 2023.

Past Lives really captures the bittersweet tang of nostalgia and looked absolutely beautiful in 35mm. I've heard some people complain about the movie feeling flat or lacking emotional depth, but to me this movie felt very real.

Society of the Snow might be the best movie I've seen from last year. How it didn't get nominated for Best Picture is beyond me. 2 1/2 hours and I was utterly captivated for the entire runtime. It is a brutal watch, though.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Saw "Past Lives" (Paramount+) and "Society of the Snow" (Netflix) this past week, both of which I'd rank as two of the best movies of 2023.

Past Lives really captures the bittersweet tang of nostalgia and looked absolutely beautiful in 35mm. I've heard some people complain about the movie feeling flat or lacking emotional depth, but to me this movie felt very real.

Society of the Snow might be the best movie I've seen from last year. How it didn't get nominated for Best Picture is beyond me. 2 1/2 hours and I was utterly captivated for the entire runtime. It is a brutal watch, though.
    Past Lives was fantastic.aaa a typical A24 film.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Saw Argylle over the weekend. It was pretty good. Some very clever sequences in fights that has become a Matthew Vaughn trademark but not in a bad way. Quite a few plot twists in there. It's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post

Watched Past Lives last night and it was fantastic.

I liked society of the snow but I didn’t love it. It’s a crazy story though. There is a documentary that came out a few years ago about it that I thought was better than this movie.

Dune Part 2 is great. I liked the first one but thought the beginning was a little clunky and movie was a little too serious, overall. But then again, how do you introduce all of this stuff at the beginning without it being clunky?

Part 2 has a better pace and is much more exciting.

19. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (03-03-2024),RedTeamGo! (03-02-2024)

Dune Part 2 is excellent, saw it last night

The beginning of Dune Part 1 is clunky, however, that is almsot word for word how the book begins. Like you said, its intro'ing soooo much, hard not to be clunky.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-05-2024)

Turn Off Ads?