Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB delays start of 2021 season for most minor-league teams

MLB delays start of 2021 season for most minor-league teams

Major League Baseball has informed minor-league teams that the 2021 Double-A and Class A seasons will have their starts delayed, according to J.J. Cooper of Baseball America. MLB has decided that players at the Double-A and Class A levels will not report to spring training until after both MLB and Triple-A players have departed from camp.

The delay allows for accurate enforcement of social distancing among other coronavirus (COVID-19) safety measures, Cooper adds. This would result in several minor-league players waiting until late March or early April to report to spring training. As of now, the 2021 MLB spring training is expected to begin on time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB delays start of 2021 season for most minor-league teams

I assume this means 2 things. The end to a bunch of minor league players getting some time in ST games in late innings. Too bad, I enjoyed seeing them. Secondly, players are gong to fall into two distinct groups immediately. For example, if you are Lodolo and you don't go to early Spring Training, then you are going no higher than AA.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

BillDoran (01-07-2021)

This means that from late February to late March spring camps will have 100 or so players in them instead of 250, then from late March to late April they'll have another 100 plus.

All together each club is going to have 50 or so less players not being there at all, due to less minor league clubs.

The Colorado Rockies put out an update of sorts several days ago. It was specific to their teams but will apply across the board. The AA and A league’s may start after Memorial Day. The information they provided suggested play may go into early October.
    I feel for the minor league teams. They are pretty hamstrung until they get schedules for planning purposes. I would have thought MLB would have provided the leagues by now. Anxious to see what structure they come up with after all the changes.

Minor League clubs gave until Feb 10 to accept the Player Development Licenses they just got this week. So no schedules will be out until then.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    The Colorado Rockies put out an update of sorts several days ago. It was specific to their teams but will apply across the board. The AA and A league’s may start after Memorial Day. The information they provided suggested play may go into early October.
    I feel for the minor league teams. They are pretty hamstrung until they get schedules for planning purposes. I would have thought MLB would have provided the leagues by now. Anxious to see what structure they come up with after all the changes.
    So they got rid of the short season leagues and made the others short season leagues. I bet they make this permanent as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Arizona’s Cactus League has submitted a formal request to commissioner Rob Manfred asking that the start of Spring Training be delayed due to the Covid-19 infection rate in Maricopa County.

Turn Off Ads?