Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Indians trade Lindor and Carrasco to Mets

Re: Indians trade Lindor and Carrasco to Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Honestly the most egregious part of the deal for the Spiders is throwing in Carrasco.

We all know they would refuse to pony up for a Lindor extension (stupid in its own right), but basically just giving up one of your longest-tenured players who still has 2/3 years of reasonable control is just a smack in the face to their fans. It's not like the Mets, or any other team, wouldn't have given up this much if CC is left out of the deal.
    The Carrasco part is strictly a salary dump. That is why he went.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Indians should have traded Lindor last off-season. With a star, already at peak value, tradable in a reasonable market, the passage of more time will often be unfriendly. Seize the moment if you’re not re-signing him.

Now, Indians found themselves in a buyer’s market in a must-sell situation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-07-2021 at 08:02 PM.

4. Likes:

redsfandan (01-07-2021),Revering4Blue (01-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    The Carrasco part is strictly a salary dump. That is why he went.
    Which is pathetic, especially considering they already unloaded Lindor’s money.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It would kick ass to be a Mets fan right now, their new owner seems like they actually give a shred of a damn about winning. Must be pretty nice.
    Yeah it was nice...last year as a Reds fan. People praised the Redd over and over for actually doing what you said.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Yeah it was nice...last year as a Reds fan. People praised the Redd over and over for actually doing what you said.
    Seems like it was pretty short lived

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2021)

Bob Sheed must have begged Castellini to let him stop eating [former Reds Executive whose name doubles as a male reproductive organ]’s crow.
    Last edited by The Operator; 01-07-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-07-2021)

MLB ladies and gentlemen!
    Mike Trout almost makes as much as the entire Cleveland roster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I want more.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Mitri (01-08-2021)

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
    On a difficult day for @Indians
    fans, some perspective to consider: Over the last 8 seasons - the Terry Francona Era - Cleveland has the best record in the American League. And only the @Dodgers
    have been better among all @MLB
    franchises during that span.

Their attendance over that time..not counting last year, is 9, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 14

May as well do the A's/Rays plan if people won't show up.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-08-2021),Crumbley (01-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Their attendance over that time..not counting last year, is 9, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 14

May as well do the A's/Rays plan if people won't show up.
    Indians have been good for so long and have nights where they are outdrawn by the Toledo Mudhens. This is on the fans.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-08-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-08-2021),Rojo Rijo (01-08-2021)

I could see it borderline being a fair deal if it were just for Lindor. Carrasco too makes it bit light for me personally, on Cleveland’s end.
    That's a fair take. I am currently at the point where I have no idea how to gauge Carrasco's value. He is certainly on a good deal in the pre-covid days.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

while 2021 will be extremely rough for the indians -- and while i would definitely be pissed if i were one of their fans -- i would bet anything the organization rebounds fast and is a solid team by 2022 and playoff team by 2023. why? first of all, despite the recent stretch of holding on to their best players too long and trading them when their value has decreased, they have a long track record of being a good front office. they also have zero long-term contracts that will inhibit their ability to rebuild (meanwhile the reds are completely stuck due to the votto contract, and to a lesser degree due to the moose/castellanos/shogo contracts).

so, yeah, the indians will suck in 2021. but don't be surprised when they are winning the AL central by 2023. although, i will say the white sox look like they have some staying power.

Couple points: Carrasco was about to gain 10/5 rights. He is a valuable starter with a good deal for any club (2/24 I think), but at 33 years old and leukemia, Cleveland felt they had to deal him. This was not similar to the Sox Price deal. Carrasco has value and the Mets were a buyer.

Dolan wants to sell the team. Once minority owner Sherman left and Cablevision was gone, Cleveland worked to lower payroll. Covid worsened the situation. Hopefully they can find a buyer to keep them in Cleveland.

Ramirez still is cheap and productive. I doubt he is dealt until his current deal is nearer to its end.

Also keep in mind the Guardians still have a very good rotation that will keep them competitive in the AL central (even at their basement payroll). Their offense stunk last year and might actually improve this upcoming season. They may spend a little on a couple cheap FAs. On the deal, I would say this is the only selling of a star that Cleveland did not get equal value back but given the current market, they did okish.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-08-2021 at 10:42 AM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2021),Revering4Blue (01-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    while 2021 will be extremely rough for the indians -- and while i would definitely be pissed if i were one of their fans -- i would bet anything the organization rebounds fast and is a solid team by 2022 and playoff team by 2023. why? first of all, despite the recent stretch of holding on to their best players too long and trading them when their value has decreased, they have a long track record of being a good front office. they also have zero long-term contracts that will inhibit their ability to rebuild (meanwhile the reds are completely stuck due to the votto contract, and to a lesser degree due to the moose/castellanos/shogo contracts).

so, yeah, the indians will suck in 2021. but don't be surprised when they are winning the AL central by 2023. although, i will say the white sox look like they have some staying power.
    Shogo has 2 years and $14 million left on his contract. What is you talking about?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

25. Likes:

Mitri (01-08-2021),Revering4Blue (01-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?