Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP “The Dugout Wizard” Tommy Lasorda

Re: RIP “The Dugout Wizard” Tommy Lasorda

that clip is missing when he took doug rau out of the game another classic

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you are putting a manager on the Dodgers version of Mount Rushmore, how can Lasorda be there instead of Walter Alston? In 20 full seasons, 1977-1996, plus a couple of games in 1976, Lasorda's managerial record was 1599-1439, a .526%, 4 NL pennants, and 2 World Championships. Alston, in 23 seasons, 1954-1976, Alston's record was 2040-1613, a .558%, 7 NL pennants, and 4 World Championships. Obviously, a manager hardly himself fully controls his record, but Alston's record is better across the board.
    I generally would favor putting players on a team's Mount Rushmore. The Dodgers top eight players in career WAR in a Dodger uniform are Clayton Kershaw 69.6, Pee Wee Reese 68.2, Don Drysdale 67.1, Duke Snider 65.4, Jackie Robinson 61.7, Zack Wheat 59.6, Dazzy Vance 59.0 and Sandy Koufax 48.9.
    Jackie Robinson has to be on their Mount Rushmore. I'd probably complete the quartet with Kershaw, Reese and Koufax.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

4. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2021),Ron Madden (01-08-2021),Roy Tucker (01-08-2021)

Vin Scully
    @TheVinScully
    I want to express my gratitude for all your kind messages about my beloved Sandi. And with the loss of my dear friend Tommy, it's been quite a lot to bear.

If there's to be a Dodgers Rushmore, I'd think it would have to include Campy.

7. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If there's to be a Dodgers Rushmore, I'd think it would have to include Campy.
    Campanella only ranks 18th on the Dodgers with 35.6 career WAR.
    If MLB had abolished the color line earlier Campy might have accumulated higher career WAR, as I believe he was age 26 his rookie season in Brooklyn. As for his tragic accident after the 1957 season when he was age 35, it is doubtful he would have accumulated much more WAR had the traffic accident not occurred, as Campy had had two poor seasons in 1956 and 1957. Catchers tend to wear out early, given the demands of the position.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If you are putting a manager on the Dodgers version of Mount Rushmore, how can Lasorda be there instead of Walter Alston? In 20 full seasons, 1977-1996, plus a couple of games in 1976, Lasorda's managerial record was 1599-1439, a .526%, 4 NL pennants, and 2 World Championships. Alston, in 23 seasons, 1954-1976, Alston's record was 2040-1613, a .558%, 7 NL pennants, and 4 World Championships. Obviously, a manager hardly himself fully controls his record, but Alston's record is better across the board.
    I generally would favor putting players on a team's Mount Rushmore. The Dodgers top eight players in career WAR in a Dodger uniform are Clayton Kershaw 69.6, Pee Wee Reese 68.2, Don Drysdale 67.1, Duke Snider 65.4, Jackie Robinson 61.7, Zack Wheat 59.6, Dazzy Vance 59.0 and Sandy Koufax 48.9.
    Jackie Robinson has to be on their Mount Rushmore. I'd probably complete the quartet with Kershaw, Reese and Koufax.
    You make a good point. But, I think Lasorda rather than Alston because of Lasorda's acting as a baseball ambassador, both on screen and in person. If Alston did things like that, I'll reconsider. But Dodgers baseball is better off for Lasorda spending 70+ years in the organization.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 01-09-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Robinson, Koufax, Campanella and Reese. Loved Lasorda, but no Managers or Broadcasters for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

HokieRed (01-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Robinson, Koufax, Campanella and Reese. Loved Lasorda, but no Managers or Broadcasters for me.
    We're close, but I'd go Robinson, Koufax, Campanella and the Duke, with apologies to both Tommy and Walt Alston.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-13-2021)

Once again, Gil Hodges is overlooked. I'm not saying he should be one of the final four players for the Dodgers, but he should at least be mentioned in the conversation. A vastly underrated player.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-09-2021),HokieRed (01-10-2021),Old school 1983 (01-13-2021),Revering4Blue (01-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    We're close, but I'd go Robinson, Koufax, Campanella and the Duke, with apologies to both Tommy and Walt Alston.
    You're right. I forgoyt about Duke. Sucks to get old.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

HokieRed (01-10-2021)

How in the heck did he live that long?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How in the heck did he live that long?
    Pasta and garlic
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-13-2021)

Lasorda on Baseball Bunch. I heard he hated every minute of it. Didn't seem like it, he was gold to me.

Slow down, world.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Once again, Gil Hodges is overlooked. I'm not saying he should be one of the final four players for the Dodgers, but he should at least be mentioned in the conversation. A vastly underrated player.
    I always thought his career was similar to Tony Perez, but I think doggie had a little higher peak and played longer.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

23. Likes:

Big Klu (01-13-2021),HokieRed (01-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?