Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Benintendi on the Market

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Benintendi on the Market

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's the Reds best combination of affordability and production among the position players. The rest of the team either over-priced versions of winker with less offense, cheap guys who suck and Votto and his decline seasons.
    That might be true if Suarez didn’t exist.

And putting that aside, that’s an indictment on the Reds more than it is anything particular about Winker himself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You can’t really play Winker and Castellanos in the same OF at the same time. That lets you trade one of them, probably Winker, for something else that fits the team better.
    That still doesn't present the need for Benintendi. They can trade away one of those guys right now and address the open slot by sliding in Shogo or adding via free agency.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ran a few ideas at BTV and the best of the bunch I came up with was this:

BOS gets:
    RH Richardson
    OF Aquino

CIN gets:
    SS Arauz
    OF Benintendi
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-09-2021),marcshoe (01-09-2021),ochoa30 (01-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    That still doesn't present the need for Benintendi. They can trade away one of those guys right now and address the open slot by sliding in Shogo or adding via free agency.
    Benintendi has upside and an equivalent free agent would probably cost tens of millions of dollars and years of commitment.

And I like Shogo as a 4th OF, but I’d play Benintendi over him for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Benintendi has upside and an equivalent free agent would probably cost tens of millions of dollars and years of commitment.

And I like Shogo as a 4th OF, but I’d play Benintendi over him for sure.
    Benintendi's been elite for one half of a season during his career. Sure, he has upside, but he hasn't been good since before the 2018 All-Star break. No interest in giving up anything of real value for somebody like that right now, especially with only 2 years of control.

He's also a left-handed hitter and has had his strikeout rate jump up significantly last full year.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 01-09-2021 at 08:14 PM.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (01-10-2021),Revering4Blue (01-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Simple, Castellanos and his bat to the AL and Benintendi to the Reds. Benintendi is a season from being non-tendered. He doesn't require a package of cheap players. The Reds dump an upside down contract that doesn't fit in an OF that needs a place for Winker to play and the Sox move an under-performing, over-priced player. Benintendi becomes the Reds RF. Winker in LF, Senzel in CF. Shogo is a 400 PA 4th OF. If Shogo deserves more time, Senzel becomes a supersub in the OF and the IF and backs up 6 positions with guys like Shogo and Moose moving around to make it work. Senzel would play 5 days per week in that set-up.
    The Red Sox said they want prospects. Why would they trade for an expensive player?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Benintendi's been elite for one half of a season during his career.
    Benintendi has put up a .800+ OPS in 11 of his 22 months in the majors. 3 out of 6 months of every full season, plus his first two months as a rookie.

He’s an high OBP, solid fielding OF. The Reds needs players just like him.

That said, I think his career numbers are who he is: .789 OPS with a .353 OBP. I wouldn’t give up much for him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Benintendi has put up a .800+ OPS in 11 of his 22 months in the majors. 3 out of 6 months of every full season, plus his first two months as a rookie.

He’s an high OBP, solid fielding OF. The Reds needs players just like him.

That said, I think his career numbers are who he is: .789 OPS with a .353 OBP. I wouldn’t give up much for him.
    Beintendini can play CF, too

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Beintendini can play CF, too
    He’s been a negative defender his entire career. He probably shouldn’t.

Benintendi feels like one of those guys people insist they don't want and then when he comes up big in another place those same people wonder why the Reds never get guys like that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Mitri (01-10-2021),Old school 1983 (01-10-2021)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Wonder if they'd be interested in Senzel+? Otherwise a guy like Hunter Greene (or Lodolo) may suit as the headliner.
    I wouldn't move Greene or Lodolo, but I'd trade Senzel for him.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

A major league source on a team that has inquired about Benintendi confirmed that the Red Sox have indeed been open to discussing the 26-year-old outfielder this winter, though that’s not a guarantee that he’ll be dealt

Another major league source characterized the Red Sox’ conversations about Benintendi as “due diligence” and “nothing out of the ordinary,” at a time when teams often gauge the value of virtually all of their players.

Benintendi is slated to make $6.6 million in 2021, the second year of a two-year, $10 million deal he signed prior to the 2020 season. The team holds an additional year of control over him before he’s eligible for free agency following the 2022 season.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-10-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Benintendi and the Betts was too weird and too wonderful Itwas a shame Elton John didntcometo Fenwayto sing
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

At that salary and risk level I think the Reds could offer the Sox any two from a list of

Santillan
    Richardson
    Aquino
    India
    Siani
    Friedl
    Callihan

I would not give up Senzel, Lodolo or Greene for him.
    Go BLUE!!!

I’d do Siani and Santillan for him in a second. See how he performs this year, if he looks solid extend him.

20. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?