Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Benintendi on the Market

Re: Benintendi on the Market

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I wouldn't move Greene or Lodolo, but I'd trade Senzel for him.
    Hard, Hard pass. And I like Benintendi as a change of scenery guy.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don’t see a trade of prospects for Benintendi satsifying any of the Reds priorities for this off-season.

Those priorities are cutting payroll, filling shortstop, and adding back some pitching in light of departures there.

Given the limited market now, it’s not the time for restructuring of the team unless there is an opportunity to further cut payroll in a fair and helpful trade (unlikely).
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t see a trade of prospects for Benintendi satsifying any of the current Reds priorities for this off-season.

Those priorities are cutting payroll, filling shortstop, and adding back some pitching given departures there.

Given the limited market right now, not the time for restructuring of the team unless there is an opportunity to further cut payroll in a fair and helpful trade (unlikely).
    The Reds need well balanced hitters that aren’t embarrassments in the field. Benintendi fills that roll near perfectly. Doug has an article out on this, saying that a trade for Benintendi only makes sense if the Reds move someone, likely Cast. I agree with Doug on this.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds need well balanced hitters that aren’t embarrassments in the field. Benintendi fills that roll near perfectly. Doug has an article out on this, saying that a trade for Benintendi only makes sense if the Reds move someone, likely Cast. I agree with Doug on this.
    Like I said: “Given the limited market right now, not the time for restructuring of the team unless there is an opportunity to further cut payroll in a fair and helpful trade (unlikely).”

The Reds will not be able to trade Castellanos in a fair and helpful trade. Nobody will take Cast’s contract without significant financial reimbursement from the Reds.

And if the Reds can find a good cost cutting trade, I believe their target will be a multi-year deal with Didi Gregorius.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Like I said: “Given the limited market right now, not the time for restructuring of the team unless there is an opportunity to further cut payroll in a fair and helpful trade (unlikely).”

The Reds will not be able to trade Castellanos in a fair and helpful trade. Nobody will take Cast’s contract without significant financial reimbursement from the Reds.

And if the Reds can find a good cost cutting trade, I believe their target will be a multi-year deal with Didi Gregorius.
    My guess is they could unload about half of Castellanos' contract for this season. Probably won't get much in return, though maybe you could snag a sleeper like Eugenio Suarez or Aaron Harang.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Cincinnati people loves themselves some people from Cincinnati.

Seriously though, in a vacuum, he is an interesting buy low candidate. But the Reds absolutely do not need yet another OF. I'd happily trade them Castellanos -- was never a fan of that deal. But I'm guessing that's not what they have in mind.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-10-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8. Likes:

HammerTime (01-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is they could unload about half of Castellanos' contract for this season. Probably won't get much in return, though maybe you could snag a sleeper like Eugenio Suarez or Aaron Harang.
    Schwarber signed for $10M for one season. Cast for $16M isn’t a bad deal. He should be easy to unload without the Reds eating much of the contract. They found someone to take Iglesias’s contract and the Reds got back a decent middle reliever.

But let’s say they have to pay $6M of Cast’s contract to trade him. I’d rather have Benintendi at $12M than Cast at $16M. Of course that’s assuming they only have to trade some B prospects to get him.

from all accounts lodolo has impressed the reds very much, and they believe he will be at least a middle-of-the-rotation starter, and perhaps better than that. not seeing the logic in trading arguably our best prospect for benintendi, who has had injury issues and has seen his play decline recently.

Schwarber signed for $10M for one season. Cast for $16M isn’t a bad deal. He should be easy to unload without the Reds eating much of the contract. They found someone to take Iglesias’s contract and the Reds got back a decent middle reliever.

But let’s say they have to pay $6M of Cast’s contract to trade him. I’d rather have Benintendi at $12M than Cast at $16M. Of course that’s assuming they only have to trade some B prospects to get him.
    Given all we know about the shift, why would you want the Reds to become even more left-handed?

Also, teams wouldn't just be taking Castellanos this year. They'd take into account 2022-2023. If he sucks, his contract turns into a 3 year/$48 mil deal.

I know Iglesias had his ups and downs, but he actually was pretty good last season outside of a couple games. It's not surprising to see a team would want to add him.

Castellanos likely would cost far more than $6 million to unload. He has a player option after this year. That makes his contract unfriendly and risky to the team.

If Nick has another so-so season in 2021, or if the market is weak, he will not opt out. And his team will be committed for $34 million for another two years and buyout, for a player who then would have plateaued.

Nick only opts out after a good year, if his value is high. Either way, Nick is in command, heads he wins, tails you lose.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Castellanos would cost far more than $6 million to unload. He has a player option after this year. That makes his contract very unfriendly and risky.

If Nick has another so-so season, or if the market is weak, he will not opt out. And his team will be committed for $34 million for another two years and buyout, for a player who has plateaued.
    I meant $6M a year. And I really don’t think it would cost that much. He’s a good player. He earns his money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Cincinnati people loves themselves some people from Cincinnati.

Seriously though, in a vacuum, he is an interesting buy low candidate. But the Reds absolutely do not need yet another OF. I'd happily trade them Castellanos -- was never a fan of that deal. But I'm guessing that's not what they have in mind.
    The reds have a bunch of players playing in the OF, but none of them other than Shogo are actually OFs. I couldn’t care less he is from Cincinnati. I honestly forgot that he was. I’m not from southern Ohio, so it doesn’t matter to me at all.

Benintendi is an actual OF that is a well balanced hitter.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-10-2021),M2 (01-10-2021)

I meant $6M a year. And I really don’t think it would cost that much. He’s a good player. He earns his money.
    So you’re saying Reds pay Cast’s acquiror $6 million now and $12 million if he doesn’t opt out. (That’s probably how it would be structured.)

IMO would cost Reds more $ in the current market. Very few teams are taking on salary. In your deal, Nick would still (if no opt out) cost his new team $30 million including buyout.

As for Reds, in your deal they’d agreeing to pay over $24.6 M - to Cast’s new team and to Benintendi - to replace Nick with Adam for one year. Then Reds then still have to arbitrate with Benintendi for 2022, then he’s a FA.

I could more easily see them trading Suarez, with an attractive contract, for good prospects - and adding a few players with the salary space. Makes more sense for both teams than trading Castellanos’ contract.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-10-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The Red Sox do have a mania for RH power hitters. It would be worth asking. Maybe they could do Benintendi + some other salaried guy(s) for Castellanos + some prospects. Mind you, this would involve the Reds spending some of the money they cleared off the books. So it might be wholly off the table of things the Reds would consider.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

redsfandan (01-11-2021)

So you’re saying $18 million. $6 million now and $12 million if he doesn’t opt out. That’s probably how it would be structured.

I think it would cost Reds more in the current market. Very few teams are taking on salary, let alone for three years.

But even at your level, it means Reds are committing $24 M in cash - to Cast’s new team and to Benintendi - to replace Cast with Benintendi for one year. Then Reds then have to arbitrate with Benintendi for 2022, then he’s a FA.

I don’t see this happening at all. I could more easily see them trading Suarez, with an attractive contract, and adding a few players with the salary space.
    Benintendi has two more years of control.

Turn Off Ads?