Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Re: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    imo, a lot of you are completely overreacting on jose garcia, based on a very small sample size when he was a rookie at the age of 22 thrown into a playoff race. furthermore, he had never played above high-A ball prior to that. give the kid a chance. a lot of people that i'm sure we all trust (barry larkin, etc) believe this kid is the real deal. is he ready to be the starting shortstop this year? no. but i fully believe he is the reds' SS of the future.
    I think most people just don’t think he should be up with the team in 2021. I haven’t seen many people say he’s no good...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

An affordable contract for Simmons for two as transition to Garcia makes all the sense in the world, which is no doubt why it's unlikely to happen. As it looks like this is not such a weak market for the FA's after all, the question, I suspect, is whether you want to give Simmons three (or Didi four). And of course Garcia is relevant to those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think most people just don’t think he should be up with the team in 2021. I haven’t seen many people say he’s no good...
    I am absolutely pretty excited by what I have seen from Garcia. But I think he needs at least two full seasons in the minors to be ready to be depended on as a regular starter. By signing DiDi or Semien for three years, you have someone to give you average production at SS until you see what you have in Garcia. If he is ready to step in for 2023, DiDi or Semien can slide over to 2B. By then either Moose or Suarez will most likely be gone.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Only problem is who is a cheap vet?
    Juan Castro
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

7. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2021),Edd Roush (01-22-2021),M2 (01-22-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-22-2021),Tom Servo (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Yeah, I’d be fine with Simmons, Porcello and some relief scratch-offs.
    I would be fine with the Reds not signing anyone if I am the sole winner of Megamillions tonight.

9. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2021),Mitri (01-22-2021),Revering4Blue (01-23-2021),wally post (01-22-2021)

"no good" is such a strong statement. I think the chances that he has a major league career at this point are no better than 50/50 and I don't think there's any chance that he becomes any kind of star. I hope I'm wrong.

If he's the reds opening day shortstop this year, then .....well, that's exactly the kind of thing this franchise would do. It wouldn't be good for the kid or for the franchise.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

i've seen people in this thread say things like "there's no way he'll be ready to be the starter until 2023 at the earliest." i just don't agree with that. i think there's a good chance he will be ready by 2022. he wasn't ready in 2020. and i agree he won't be ready this year. but i think in 2022 at the age of 24 he might very well be ready to take over the starting gig. it's why i'm perfectly fine with the reds giving a guy like simmons a reasonable 1-year deal. i still believe in garcia as the reds' shortstop of the future.

12. Likes:

Mitri (01-23-2021),Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i've seen people in this thread say things like "there's no way he'll be ready to be the starter until 2023 at the earliest." i just don't agree with that. i think there's a good chance he will be ready by 2022. he wasn't ready in 2020. and i agree he won't be ready this year. but i think in 2022 at the age of 24 he might very well be ready to take over the starting gig. it's why i'm perfectly fine with the reds giving a guy like simmons a reasonable 1-year deal. i still believe in garcia as the reds' shortstop of the future.
    I agree that if Garcia's going to be good, then he should be ready next year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (01-24-2021),JFLegal (01-23-2021),Old school 1983 (01-23-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-23-2021),Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would be fine with the Reds not signing anyone if I am the sole winner of Megamillions tonight.
    I was not the winner (came up 4 numbers and the powerball short) so the Reds need to get Didi.

16. Likes:

goldglover9 (01-23-2021),M2 (01-23-2021),WrongVerb (01-23-2021)

Turn Off Ads?