Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Bowden:

According to club sources #Phillies #Reds #RedSox (2B) #Athletics have all been involved to some extent in negotiations w/free agent infielder Marcus Semien. There are probably more clubs interested due to his versatility, athleticism, & durability, Strong postseason helped him
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (01-14-2021),Ron Madden (01-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Bowden:

According to club sources #Phillies #Reds #RedSox (2B) #Athletics have all been involved to some extent in negotiations w/free agent infielder Marcus Semien. There are probably more clubs interested due to his versatility, athleticism, & durability, Strong postseason helped him
    Do the lack of replies mean there’s no excitement or no one believes Bowden?

If this rumor is accurate, that should put to rest all the "Reds are slashing payroll" posts.

Semien won't be cheap, even in a down market.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-13-2021)

Sweet. I'm all for it. Would love to see what he could do in the NL Central, and ideally see him doing that playing for the Reds.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-13-2021),CarolinaRedleg (01-14-2021),Edd Roush (01-13-2021),marcshoe (01-14-2021),ochoa30 (01-13-2021),Old school 1983 (01-13-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-13-2021),Revering4Blue (01-13-2021),Ron Madden (01-13-2021),Tom Servo (01-13-2021)

Considering the huge FA shortstops in next year's class, and his diminished performance last year, and the money "problems" around baseball this year, we might be able to get him on a relative bargain.

2019 Semien fixes a lot of problems for us.

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-13-2021),ochoa30 (01-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    2019 Semien fixes a lot of problems for us.
    Semien's career numbers would even be helpful. A 105 OPS+ from a pedestrian SS defender has value. (Last year, Reds' SS were 40(!) points below even that modest production.) I worry that all of Semien's number tanked last year-- and that 2019 looks like an extreme outlier. I suspect he may rebound a bit in a smaller park. ZiPS, fwiw, adores him. They project a .274/ .346/ .496/ .841 line. His 5.0 fWAR projection would be a massive improvement over Garcia's - 0.8 projection.

Were he to sign, I'd guess Semien would slot in at #2 in the order. (He bats RH.)

OF Akiyama
    SS Semien
    1B Votto
    3B Suarez
    2B Moustakas
    RF Castellanos
    OF Winker/ Senzel
    C T. Stephenson/ Barnhart

With a DH, that lineup looks healthy and would, IMO, probably be the best in the NL Central. (This assumes the Cardinals will continue to cry poor, the Cubs won't sign anyone of consequence, and the Brewers continue with their retooling.)

I don't get the excitement around this guy. He had one great year and the rest have been average at best. It better be a good bargain if we do get him.

13. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (01-13-2021)

I'd much rather have Didi. One year wonders always worry me.

Pretty much anything is an upgrade at SS. It would depend entirely on the money.

He's been consistently average offensively, aside from a monster 2019. Without that year, his career OBP is less than .310. Not quite Billy Hamilton territory, but close enough that I start to get a headache.

I'm willing to ignore pretty much everything from 2020, but that was statistically his worst year. Maybe everything clicked for him in 2019 and that's what he'll be for a few years going forward. There's no way I'd count on or pay based on that.

16. Likes:

757690 (01-13-2021),REDREAD (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    I don't get the excitement around this guy. He had one great year and the rest have been average at best. It better be a good bargain if we do get him.
    Even average at best would be a huge upgrade for us at SS.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2021)

Has there been excitement? I haven't noticed anyone drooling over Semien. He can do a job the Reds need done and perhaps he'll come at a favorable price.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-14-2021)

A guy with an average bat who can play SS is a very good guy to have around. Not so many players at there who play SS, and get on base, and hit for power, and steal bases, and...

He comes with some offensive upside too.

Of course, it depends on the amount of resources they would have to allocate for him, but he'd represent a nice upgrade at one position.

Winker/Shogo LF
    Suarez 3B
    Votto 1B
    Castellanos RF
    Mouse 2B
    Siemien SS
    Senzel CF
    Stephenson/Barnhart C

Brutal defence, but that is a team that could hit.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Brutal defence, but that is a team that could hit.
    Moustakas is defensively neutral to slightly above.

Semien is slightly below average.

Barnhart is a Gold Glover.

Akiyama and Senzel are above average.

Castellanos has an iron glove, but has improved slightly. (He's now merely bad.) Winker is in the same boat.

Votto and Suarez vacillate with the glove from good to really bad. They're the key, IMO, to a decent defense.

I don't think they'll ever be outstanding, but serviceable, at least.

Last year, according to Fangraphs, they were slightly below league average-- and that included a SS position that really struggled.

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-14-2021),Edd Roush (01-14-2021),Ron Madden (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Moustakas is defensively neutral to slightly above.

Semien is slightly below average.

Barnhart is a Gold Glover.

Akiyama and Senzel are above average.

Castellanos has an iron glove, but has improved slightly. (He's now merely bad.) Winker is in the same boat.

Votto and Suarez vacillate with the glove from good to really bad. They're the key, IMO, to a decent defense.

I don't think they'll ever be outstanding, but serviceable, at least.

Last year, according to Fangraphs, they were slightly below league average-- and that included a SS position that really struggled.
    True enough, I am not so worried about the D either. They do just fine at preventing runs, they just really need to hit.

On topic, I think Siemian would be a fine addition.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-14-2021)

Suarez has been pretty bad defensively since 2017. He’s probably a 1B at this point, but Votto. This is one of the reasons I understand potentially moving him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

27. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?