Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Re: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Suarez has been pretty bad defensively since 2017. He’s probably a 1B at this point, but Votto. This is one of the reasons I understand potentially moving him.
    Depends on which defensive metrics you use.

He was one out above average last year (according to Statcast, the latest defensive metric). in extremely limited innings.

2019, he was a league average 3B.

In 2018, he was third in the league worth five outs above average.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2021),CaiGuy (01-14-2021),Edd Roush (01-14-2021),Ron Madden (01-14-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

He was one out above average last year (according to Statcast, the latest defensive metric). in extremely limited innings.

in other words, not "pretty bad defensively since 2017."

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I'd much rather have Didi. One year wonders always worry me.
    I think I'd slightly prefer Didi, but only because he's better defensively.

Both are clear upgrades over Simmons, or Freddie Galvis, or throwing Garcia to the wolves again. And I like Garcia quite a bit.

It's good to see the Reds in the mix on the two best SS free agents. They have the advantage of a gaping hole (last in Fangraph's SS depth charts) when a bunch of teams have SS settled. Reds can guarantee their guy SS for a year or two, which may appeal to a guy like Semien.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If this rumor is accurate, that should put to rest all the "Reds are slashing payroll" posts.

Semien won't be cheap, even in a down market.

The Reds have already slashed massive amounts of payroll. Bauer, Disco, Galvis, Iglesias, Bradley, Casali, Goodwin have departed with no substantial additions this off-season.

That Reds are “involved to some extent” with Marcus Semien doesn’t change that one iota.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-14-2021 at 02:10 PM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Do the lack of replies mean there’s no excitement or no one believes Bowden?
    Well, the way other threads have gone, if a reporter reports something, he has no idea what he's talking about...
    (Unless it's good news about the Reds )

On a serious note though, the reports of the Reds "talking" with people are not a whole lot to get excited about. Especially since the Red Sox and Phillies could easily outbid us, if they wanted to.
    I kind of doubt the Reds are going to be giving out "overpay" contracts this winter to get people to come here, but maybe they will.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

marcshoe (01-14-2021)

I’m not familiar with that stat or website, but if you look at the advanced fielding stats on fangraphs he’s been pretty much negative across the board since 2017. Last year he hd -4 DRS, which is pretty crazy with only 60 games being played. Also, the ol eye test which shows me a big dude that can’t move well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

mth123 (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds have already slashed massive amounts of payroll. Bauer, Disco, Galvis, Iglesias, Bradley, Casali, Goodwin have departed with no substantial additions this off-season.

That Reds are “involved to some extent” with Marcus Semien doesn’t change that one iota.
    Galvis and Goodwin are considered slashing payroll now? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, the way other threads have gone, if a reporter reports something, he has no idea what he's talking about...
    (Unless it's good news about the Reds )

On a serious note though, the reports of the Reds "talking" with people are not a whole lot to get excited about. Especially since the Red Sox and Phillies could easily outbid us, if they wanted to.
    I kind of doubt the Reds are going to be giving out "overpay" contracts this winter to get people to come here, but maybe they will.
    Are we sure the Red Sox and Phillies are in the mode of outbidding people right now?

Hell, the Red Sox salary dumped a generational player in Mookie Betts recently. They are a bit of a joke, right now.

Akiyama and Senzel are above average.
    I will give you that Shogo could be above average in LF.
    Neither of those guys are above average in CF though.
    I'm not even sure Senzel is average in CF.. Let's say "average at best".
    Baseball reference WAR gives him a 0 Defensive WAR for 2019.
    Senzel really didn't play enough last year to use stats.
    The eye test says he's not above average either.
    He could improve defensively, but he's not there yet.

Votto? on a good day, he's average, but maybe that's what you meant when you said "good".
    I'm not trying to split hairs, just said he's average at best too.

Moustakas is definitely below average at 2b. The split helps hide this weekness, so it's not as big of a deal, but
    if we are grading the players, he's definitely below average.

Suarez defense has slipped the last two years. Maybe it was a health issue. He could potentially be an average/decent defender.

In summary, Barnhart and Shogo (in LF) are our only two plus defenders, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This was my preferred option from the start. Hopefully they can get something reasonable done.
    Last edited by HammerTime; 01-14-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Are we sure the Red Sox and Phillies are in the mode of outbidding people right now?

Hell, the Red Sox salary dumped a generational player in Mookie Betts recently. They are a bit of a joke, right now.
    Thus, that's why I added 'if they really wanted to' Will they want to? Maybe not. I agree with you on that.
    The Red Sox might want to sign a SS (maybe not Seimen) so they can trade off Bogarts and have a net savings.
    I really don't want to look up the Phillies now, so I will not speculate on them.

I’m not familiar with that stat or website, but if you look at the advanced fielding stats on fangraphs he’s been pretty much negative across the board since 2017. Last year he hd -4 DRS, which is pretty crazy with only 60 games being played. Also, the ol eye test which shows me a big dude that can’t move well.
    We'd probably do best to burn all DRS and UZR stats from 2020 and never mention them again. No one got enough of a sample for them to normalize.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

HammerTime (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    We'd probably do best to burn all DRS and UZR stats from 2020 and never mention them again. No one got enough of a sample for them to normalize.
    In general I'm not taking much away from that season for anyone.

20. Likes:

M2 (01-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fair enough, but anyone watching Suarez the last couple of years defensively and saying “he’s fine” are kidding themselves. I love Suarez, my favorite Red, but I can see what he is.

22. Likes:

mth123 (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I will give you that Shogo could be above average in LF.
    Neither of those guys are above average in CF though.
    I'm not even sure Senzel is average in CF.. Let's say "average at best".
    Baseball reference WAR gives him a 0 Defensive WAR for 2019.
    Senzel really didn't play enough last year to use stats.
    The eye test says he's not above average either.
    He could improve defensively, but he's not there yet.

Votto? on a good day, he's average, but maybe that's what you meant when you said "good".
    I'm not trying to split hairs, just said he's average at best too.

Moustakas is definitely below average at 2b. The split helps hide this weekness, so it's not as big of a deal, but
    if we are grading the players, he's definitely below average.

Suarez defense has slipped the last two years. Maybe it was a health issue. He could potentially be an average/decent defender.

In summary, Barnhart and Shogo (in LF) are our only two plus defenders, IMO.
    Wasn’t Shogo a gold glove finalist? Am I misremembering?

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2021),Ron Madden (01-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?