Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Re: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

NM, double post, sorry.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 12:34 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    "Reds negotiating with Marcus Semien"

Reds: "Hi Agent of Marcus Semien. Would Marcus like to play SS for us here in Cincinnati for $1M next year?"
    Agent: "No, thank you. If you'd like to make a more serious offer, I'm willing to not hang up the phone immediately."
    Reds: "No, that's OK. We don't want to do that."
    Agent: "Fair enough. Goodbye."
    yeah, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This very post seems to deny a meaningful cut in payroll. It suggests Reds will merely “reallocate that money to make the club better.” So I don’t understand your position, which is fine.
    Well I don't think I can make you understand, I'm not good enough with words to help you understand that we shouldn't freak out every time we hear a trade rumor or every time the team makes a move that we don't immediately understand. So go on losing your mind every time a move is made or every time a writer shares a trade rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Well I don't think I can make you understand, I'm not good enough with words to help you understand that we shouldn't freak out every time we hear a trade rumor or every time the team makes a move that we don't immediately understand. So go on losing your mind every time a move is made or every time a writer shares a trade rumor.
    Maybe you’re agitated. I’m not.

I just find your position on this difficult to understand. Are the Reds cutting payroll or not?

I’m the one with a clear position - of course Reds are cutting, meaningfully so.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 01:01 AM.

6. Likes:

JFLegal (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Maybe you’re agitated. I’m not.

I just find your position on this difficult to understand. Are the Reds cutting payroll or not?

I’m the one with a clear position - of course Reds are cutting, meaningfully so.
    What if they add most of what they have cut back into payroll in an effort to improve the team?

Would you still be yelling Slashing Payroll!!! From the rooftops?

Ron, i want to be as positive and as supportive of the Reds as you are, I really do, but the track record says there isn't much reason for that kind of faith. What has happened since 1995 that would give one the idea that the Reds should get the benefit of the doubt? They've been mostly a doormat for that 25 year period with only a few seasons of hope. They've acted rashly in some instances, been paralyzed by inaction in others, but almost always they've come out of it unsuccessful. I had the kind of faith you proopse back in the 70s, but there isn't any evidence that we should have it now. They've gutted the bullpen, lost their best starter, assembled a team that can't really cover the positions on the field adequately and made some questionable signings that have backed them into a corner of possibly needing to deal off some of their more valauble properties to save money. I think the outlook is pretty bleak. I don't understand how anyone can look at this team full of corner infielders and DH's playing nearly every position and think anything else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

What if they add most of what they have cut back into payroll in an effort to improve the team?

I guess the last 25 years makes me believe that it either won't happen or they'll royally screw it up if they try.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Considering the huge FA shortstops in next year's class, and his diminished performance last year, and the money "problems" around baseball this year, we might be able to get him on a relative bargain.

2019 Semien fixes a lot of problems for us.
    2019 looks like an outlier for his career so counting on that to fix the Reds is about as good as a lottery ticket
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I won’t ignore the facts. All of which point to significant salary reduction. Some fans hang onto Krall’s words. I don’t believe he meant Reds will reinvest most of the $40+ million that’s departed in cuts and FA.

I don’t blame ownership too much, Reds are a small market team and 2021 probably projects poorly with little or no attendance. COVID isn’t Reds’ ownership’s fault and the timing of the Moustakas and Castellanos contracts turned out to be unfortunate.

But as a fan, I see a dilution of talent this off season without much to spend to replace it. And I will say that when the subject arises unless and until the Reds prove it to be wrong.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 08:39 AM.

12. Likes:

mth123 (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess the last 25 years makes me believe that it either won't happen or they'll royally screw it up if they try.
    They've told us what the plan is - get a SS. There's still numerous shortstops on the market. I don't believe anything other than they've still got the opportunity to accomplish their goal. If they don't, then I'll get mad about it. Seems kind of fruitless speculating before it plays out. Maybe they botch it. Maybe they nail it. Hell if I know.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (01-15-2021),Ron Madden (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They've told us what the plan is - get a SS. There's still numerous shortstops on the market. I don't believe anything other than they've still got the opportunity to accomplish their goal. If they don't, then I'll get mad about it. Seems kind of fruitless speculating before it plays out. Maybe they botch it. Maybe they nail it. Hell if I know.
    As I said many times, getting a SS isn't enough. I don't think adding Semien and doing nothing else makes this a .500 team. They need a SS and a couple of pitchers minimum just to have a chance at .500. If they want to be more than a pretender, they need to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Galvis was a FA, they didn’t slash him. They just let him walk away.

Goodwin: I guess. I think they just didn’t want to pay a 5th OF $3 million.
    Ok, whatever you want to rationalize.
    They let Galvis walk. They have no SS now. Hopefully that is fixed before the season starts.
    I honestly don't know if they will add a legit SS or Farmer will be the opening day SS. I could
    see either happening.
    But they cut payroll.
    Funny, last offseason season, the Reds were praised for signing Shogo to be a 4th OF, now they are praised for cutting Goodwin because 3 million for a backup OF is "too expensive".

Reality? They made some bad decisions last winter, now it's coming back to bite them. Hopefully they have some money to reinforce the team.

If you want to believe the Reds are not in cost cutting mode, go ahead.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 01-15-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

JFLegal (01-16-2021)

If they add most or all of the payroll back? In that case, I am sure KC, myself and the others will admit we were wrong.
    But it's like the Gray rumors, until it actually happens, we can't assume it's true, right?

I mean, look back at the Reds since the Jr trade before 2000. Look at their history. Not many years where the Reds have
    tried to win. (The Walt era is an exception).. Dick Williams just resigned. I don't think he would have resigned if he thought
    the Reds were not in cost cutting mode. Look at all the rumors saying the Reds are still trying to cut cost and are shopping
    every marketable player.. Sure, it has not happened yet, but usually when there's that much smoke, it indicates the team
    is actually trying to do it. Remember in 2003, the writers saying the Reds were in fire sale mode? That was true.
    I am trying to think of a time that the writers claimed a team was cutting costs and then the team surprised everyone and
    actually spent more money. Maybe it's happened, but I can't remember it (All baseball teams, not just the Reds).

The Reds are in semi-good shape just because no one else in the NL Central is trying either.

So yea, as of today, all the Reds have done in the offseason is cut payroll. All they have to show for it is Noe Rameriz.
    Everyone on this board hopes the Reds will add talent. Let's see what happens, but no need to jump all over the people
    that are less optimistic. You and a few other people are the ones that are taking it personal and flipping out.
    KC has been pretty calm, just stating the facts.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

JFLegal (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As I said many times, getting a SS isn't enough. I don't think adding Semien and doing nothing else makes this a .500 team. They need a SS and a couple of pitchers minimum just to have a chance at .500. If they want to be more than a pretender, they need to do more.
    You keep saying this, but they're favored to win the division right now even without a SS. Add a SS and a couple of good pitchers and I suspect they jump to clear favorites in the NL Central.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-15-2021),RedsFanInMS (01-15-2021),Ron Madden (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If they add most or all of the payroll back? In that case, I am sure KC, myself and the others will admit we were wrong.
    But it's like the Gray rumors, until it actually happens, we can't assume it's true, right?

I mean, look back at the Reds since the Jr trade before 2000. Look at their history. Not many years where the Reds have
    tried to win. (The Walt era is an exception).. Dick Williams just resigned. I don't think he would have resigned if he thought
    the Reds were not in cost cutting mode. Look at all the rumors saying the Reds are still trying to cut cost and are shopping
    every marketable player.. Sure, it has not happened yet, but usually when there's that much smoke, it indicates the team
    is actually trying to do it. Remember in 2003, the writers saying the Reds were in fire sale mode? That was true.
    I am trying to think of a time that the writers claimed a team was cutting costs and then the team surprised everyone and
    actually spent more money. Maybe it's happened, but I can't remember it (All baseball teams, not just the Reds).

The Reds are in semi-good shape just because no one else in the NL Central is trying either.

So yea, as of today, all the Reds have done in the offseason is cut payroll. All they have to show for it is Noe Rameriz.
    Everyone on this board hopes the Reds will add talent. Let's see what happens, but no need to jump all over the people
    that are less optimistic. You and a few other people are the ones that are taking it personal and flipping out.
    KC has been pretty calm, just stating the facts.
    Kralll was quoted saying the money would be reallocated to improve the team. That is not like the Sonny Gray rumor.

99% of MLB teams are cutting payroll.
    Will the Reds Slash payroll as much as you guys have been saying? Who knows for sure? Maybe they will or maybe they will reallocate a large portion of it into improving the team.

So yes, as of today the offseason isn't over yet,so let's see what happens.

Kaitlyn McGrath
    @kaitlyncmcgrath
    I did my best to delve into the psyche of #BlueJays fans this offseason during an interminably quiet offseason. Are you a believer, settler or doubter? Let me know in the comments!

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    For Reds fans it's: the sky is falling, the sky fell, there is no sky and never was only flames
    Some of you guys remind me of C.Trents quote above. You have the right to feel that way but why torture yourselves by hanging around on a Reds Fan message board

23. Likes:

757690 (01-15-2021),Old NDN (01-15-2021),RedsFanInMS (01-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?