Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Re: Reds Negotiating with Marcus Semien SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    An arbitration player got a salary last year. Michael Lorenzen got $3.725 million last year. The only change for 2021 is his increase, about $700 K. The five arbitration guys will tack on several million in increases, but it doesn’t change the $44 million salary reduction estimate that much.

The sixth arbitration guy is Ramirez, already included in the $44 million general figure.
    I get that, but if you're looking at that particular chart, most of the arb and pre-arb guys have a blank in the 2021 column, which means the bottom line will increase as those number become known. Once you go through that exercise, it cuts down the 2020-to-2021 gap. B-Ref estimates they'll land at $117M with the current roster, which would be roughly $30M less than 2020.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reds were at $147MM last season. Currently projected at around $123 if you fill out the roster with league-minimum guys, plus or minus a few million depending on arb raises. After today we'll know the exact number.

Even if you don’t want to use the $166 million for tax purposes (doesn’t matter that Reds don’t pay luxury tax), the $147 million is low. It’s an opening day number, excludes Bradley, excludes Goodwin, etc.

Beyond that, I’ve identified $44 million in reductions. There will be several million added back via arbitration and other raises. Without acquisitions, I don’t know how you get to only a $24 million difference unless you include some more potential acquisitions.

I’d like to see an apples to apples comparison once the off-season ends.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 02:03 PM.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get that, but if you're looking at that particular chart, most of the arb and pre-arb guys have a blank in the 2021 column, which means the bottom line will increase as those number become known. Once you go through that exercise, it cuts down the 2020-to-2021 gap. B-Ref estimates they'll land at $117M with the current roster, which would be roughly $30M less than 2020.
    Not sure which chart you are now looking at M2. If it’s opening day 2020, that excludes Bradley and Goodwin, acquired later.

So figure a half season of each, we’re then at around $33 million of salary reduction.

That’s in the ballpark of what I expect the final reduction level to be.

It’ll depend of course on other adds and any more subtractions from the team.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 02:12 PM.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

Reds were at $147MM last season. Currently projected at around $123 if you fill out the roster with league-minimum guys, plus or minus a few million depending on arb raises. After today we'll know the exact number.
    Doesn't this just make it worse though? They lost 4 pitchers, a catcher, A SS and an OF that were using around $44 Million. The arb guys are eating up around $20 Million of that. That leaves little money to replace/upgrade the departed talent. Giving these arb guys increase doesn't fill the picthing staff or SS or address the numberous other flaws on the roster.

So the Reds are reallocating the payroll as Krall said. Only its from the guys who left to the increases for the guys still here. That doesn't mean they are using it to add any talent. That's what I expect.They'll sign a cheap SS solution and a few lotto ticket arms to add to the mix and call it a day IMO. I'm starting to think Addison Russell might be the guy they end up with on a make good deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That doesn't mean they are using it to add any talent.
    They claimed they will. If they don't, then get angry. Right now there's a pile of free agents and very few teams have made moves in the trade market. I get that waiting is tedious, but that's where we are. They haven't spent it and they haven't not spent it. All we've got to go by is what they laid out as their offseason plan and that's still on the table.

10. Likes:

757690 (01-15-2021),Kurt Stillwell (01-15-2021),Mitri (01-15-2021),Old school 1983 (01-15-2021),Ron Madden (01-15-2021)

I don’t think there’s any question Reds will add some talent. Questions are -

Will they add anybody of significance?

Will they need to trade another salary to accomplish that?

Nightingale tweets that Reds are at about $120 million after arbitration signings. Should leave room for a shortstop, he says, Sounds right, but at what level?
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-15-2021 at 06:00 PM.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Since they lost Bauer, Disco, Galvis, Iglesias, Bradley, Goodwin, Casali, I don’t see how that’s possible. They lost far more than $20 million. Bauer alone is almost $20 million based on last year.

There will be increases and acquisitions, but I’d like to see the sources for this.
    I think the 20 million number includes raises for the guys they kept.

The amount "Cut" could be: add up what the payroll could have been if those players were kept or it could just be
    (Last year's payroll - this year's payroll).. Either one is valid, I suppose. Looks like you are using the former, others
    are using the latter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think the 20 million number includes raises for the guys they kept.

The amount "Cut" could be: add up what the payroll could have been if those players were kept or it could just be
    (Last year's payroll - this year's payroll).. Either one is valid, I suppose. Looks like you are using the former, others
    are using the latter.
    To be clear about my math (post 71 of this thread), I counted the 2020 salaries walking out the door this off-season at around $44 million. (Includes Iggy departure net of Ramirez acquisition.)

Let’s add in yesterday’s arbitration raises which were in the ballpark of $10 million. Excludes Ramirez who was counted above. $44 - 10 is a $34 million payroll reduction.

There could be substantial raises in existing LTCs. That is possible, haven’t looked into it. Doubt pre-arb raises make a difference, don’t even know what pre-arbs will make the team.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-16-2021 at 08:17 PM.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Semien's career numbers would even be helpful. A 105 OPS+ from a pedestrian SS defender has value. (Last year, Reds' SS were 40(!) points below even that modest production.) I worry that all of Semien's number tanked last year-- and that 2019 looks like an extreme outlier. I suspect he may rebound a bit in a smaller park. ZiPS, fwiw, adores him. They project a .274/ .346/ .496/ .841 line. His 5.0 fWAR projection would be a massive improvement over Garcia's - 0.8 projection.

Were he to sign, I'd guess Semien would slot in at #2 in the order. (He bats RH.)

OF Akiyama
    SS Semien
    1B Votto
    3B Suarez
    2B Moustakas
    RF Castellanos
    OF Winker/ Senzel
    C T. Stephenson/ Barnhart

With a DH, that lineup looks healthy and would, IMO, probably be the best in the NL Central. (This assumes the Cardinals will continue to cry poor, the Cubs won't sign anyone of consequence, and the Brewers continue with their retooling.)
    Sorry but Votto isn’t a number three lineup guy anymore. That’s your best hitters spot. He hasn’t been that for two seasons.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    Sorry but Votto isn’t a number three lineup guy anymore. That’s your best hitters spot. He hasn’t been that for two seasons.
    3rd in the starting lineup in OB, 2nd in OPS. That's a pretty standard #3 hitter profile.

I don't care where they place them, that lineup with Semien in it looks lit.

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-19-2021),Tom Servo (01-19-2021)

I don't care where they place them, that lineup with Semien in it looks lit.
    Assuming the DH is there, I’d like to see:

Shogo
    Semien
    Winker
    Suarez
    Moustakas
    Castellanos
    Votto
    Senzel
    Barnhart/Stephenson

I know it didn’t really work out last year, but that feels like a lineup with some length to it.

21. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-20-2021),Revering4Blue (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Assuming the DH is there, I’d like to see:

Shogo
    Semien
    Winker
    Suarez
    Moustakas
    Castellanos
    Votto
    Senzel
    Barnhart/Stephenson

I know it didn’t really work out last year, but that feels like a lineup with some length to it.
    I like that lineup, especially Cast in the 6 spot.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    Only Winker had a better OPS last year. Clearly Votto isn't what he was, but this team is that bad. Votto is likely your best hitter. Still.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

25. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-21-2021),REDREAD (01-20-2021)

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Dodgers are among many teams in on the talented Marcus Semien

Turn Off Ads?