Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball is about done!

Baseball is about done!

Baseball is about done and they don’t even see it. I have been an edge
    Of my seat passionate Reds fan for 40 years. God I loved the “Big Red Machine” teams of the the 70’s and 90’s. I am from Oklahoma and I would follow this team from state to state each summer because I loved the Reds but how can I stay interested when the big market teams swoop in and take all the talent from the small market teams. It’s a broken system that does nothing but break the hearts of fans. For the first time in 40 years I really don’t care if the Reds lose every game.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball is about done!

that is a hot take.

They see it, they don't care.
    Go Gators!

"Professional baseball is on the wane. Salaries must come down or the interest of the public must be increased in some way."

7. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-15-2021),Chip R (01-15-2021),Roy Tucker (01-15-2021)

In January? Are they playing one of them NBA schedules this year?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Professional baseball is on the wane. Salaries must come down or the interest of the public must be increased in some way."
    Albert Spalding in 1881?

What I don't get, is if everyone hates 2020-era baseball and the Reds, why do they continue to come here to discuss it?

Yeah, it probably needs to address some issues, and yes, it's popularity may be waning in some areas. Yes, it's run like a business. But I really enjoy watching, analysing, discussing,and reading about baseball, and Reds baseball...that's why I make it one small part of my life.

If it gave me so much anxiety or unhappiness, I would just cut it out of my life. Not constantly talk about doing it like many, but actually doing it.

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-15-2021),Ron Madden (01-15-2021),westofyou (01-15-2021)

Attendance was down really badly last year. So I see his point. Oh wait.....there was a pandemic across the world.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

MR X (01-15-2021)

NM
    Last edited by MikeS21; 01-15-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Historically, years from now, I wonder what they will call this era of baseball. (Dead Ball era, etc)

The 3-Outcome era?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Albert Spalding in 1881?

What I don't get, is if everyone hates 2020-era baseball and the Reds, why do they continue to come here to discuss it?

Yeah, it probably needs to address some issues, and yes, it's popularity may be waning in some areas. Yes, it's run like a business. But I really enjoy watching, analysing, discussing,and reading about baseball, and Reds baseball...that's why I make it one small part of my life.

If it gave me so much anxiety or unhappiness, I would just cut it out of my life. Not constantly talk about doing it like many, but actually doing it.
    I don't know, maybe the OP is just coming here to discuss with fellow Reds fans and it's in a slightly different way than the way you would approach it.

16. Likes:

dreghorntwo (01-16-2021),drowg14 (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Historically, years from now, I wonder what they will call this era of baseball. (Dead Ball era, etc)

The 3-Outcome era?
    The Spreadsheet Era... where VBA made decisions for field managers.

An interesting footnote would be The Tampa Bay Rays pulling their dominant starter in a win-or-go-home game with a low pitch count, when a batter he had dominated twice already was coming up. They brought in a reliever who had been lit up in 6 straight appearances because “well, that’s what we do”.

I know I’ve harped on it a lot, but I think analytics may have jumped the shark. I think they’re a very valuable tool but when teams are going so far to that extreme that they’re completely ignoring their eyeballs and common sense in lieu of an algorithm or pre-determined script, well, we’ve gone too far in the opposite direction.

A happy medium would be mighty nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

18. Likes:

Bench5 (01-17-2021),bm1475 (01-15-2021),cumberlandreds (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-16-2021),redsfanmia (01-15-2021),TexasRedsFan (01-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Albert Spalding in 1881?

There's an old joke: Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

M2 (01-17-2021),REDREAD (01-16-2021),Roy Tucker (01-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

The 3-Outcome era?
    The 3-Outcome Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There's an old joke: Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."
    Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

marcshoe (01-15-2021),RFS62 (01-18-2021)

Mariner's fans have never seen a World Series (Darn you, Tino!) in half a century, their stadium kills OPS for players making them less likely to want to go there, but the fandom base is extremely strong. Oakland found a formula that works. K.C. managed to win one. Florida used and abused the system towards undeserved Championships (part of what he's talking about). Montreal lost their franchise. Minnesota almost lost theirs, but managed to hold on and their fanbase is questionable now. So, there's good and bad in it. Could be worse. He could be a Bengals' fan (or maybe he is and the combination is killing him, though last year's REDS were set up for a sensational season, but COVID got in the way). The REDS delivered going into last season. Had there been no COVID, this thread wouldn't exist.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?