Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Re: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's a feature, not a bug.
    So you like murder mysteries where they just show the crime being committed and then the culprits arrested and put into jail, eliminating how the case was solved? Or romcoms where two people meet, fall in love and get married right away, elimiating all the obstacles that love provides?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

It will be interesting to see how the league operates in 2021 if they plan to play a full season. Logistics such as travel, fans in attendance and COVID protocols will all have to be worked out here in the next few months. Getting the actual rules in place is the first step to avoid any unnecessary holdups.

The universal DH rule makes too much sense after the league used it in 2020. Pitchers have not batted since 2019, and making them do it again in 2021, only to potentially change the rule in 2022, seems silly. But fans know this league doesn't always operate according to logic.

Adding a DH in both leagues is something certain fans may be upset about if they truly love the National League rules. However, if the players are in favor of it, that is what matters most. It adds offense to the game and also means the World Series won't be played under two different sets of rules.

Next: Rob Manfred's latest memo to teams is great news
    The extra-inning and doubleheader rules still seem weird, but may end up going away once COVID is no longer hanging over society. Getting a full season in is the goal right now and these changes, while drastic to some, should help.
    https://fansided.com/2021/01/16/mlb-...s-2021-season/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-17-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    So you like murder mysteries where they just show the crime being committed and then the culprits arrested and put into jail, eliminating how the case was solved? Or romcoms where two people meet, fall in love and get married right away, elimiating all the obstacles that love provides?
    I like baseball where SPs decide games and with a minimum of garbage relievers.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-22-2021)

Haunted by walks

I just want to see someone lose a perfect game.

7. Likes:

drowg14 (01-20-2021),Old school 1983 (01-19-2021)

NL DH or no NL DH?

Stop us if you've heard this one before: There's still a belief we could see the designated hitter in the National League this season, but no one is sure when an agreement could be reached. It won't really help front offices with roster construction if the decision comes in late March or even late February. As for players, they wanted to know yesterday.

Some around the game believe ownership is dragging their collective feet in order to reduce the market: The longer things play out, the more antsy players will get to sign.
    https://www.espn.com

Not approving the DH until after they wring a few extra dollars out of the players seems like standard ownerrly behavior. I am now convinced the NL will have the DH in 2021.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021),Ron Madden (01-19-2021)

Overall, baseball is leagues more strategic and intellectual than the NFL or NBA. It’s not even a debate. Every player has to be cerebral in baseball, all the time. Nothing like that in the other leagues.

The big rule change in the NFL was that players couldn’t hit each other with the intention to injure. And the fans hate that rule. But yeah, it’s super cerebral.
    Lol. Sorry, man. You should stop. I get that you love baseball, cool, but you are showing your ignorance to football strategy and today's game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Lol. Sorry, man. You should stop. I get that you love baseball, cool, but you are showing your ignorance to football strategy and today's game.
    I am not ignorant about football, as I said, I like the game. I have spent nearly every weekend of my life watching football when it is in season. But it seems I have hit a nerve with some football fans. I agree football is strategic, but it is nothing like baseball, and it never will be.

And it’s less about how strategic it is and more about how poetic, how literary it is. My entire life, it wasn’t even debatable that baseball was the thinking’s man’s game, especially compared to football and basketball. Volumes of articles and books were written on it. It was a big reason why it was considered the national pastime. It was the game father and sons could bond over, a game that brought communities together.

As I said, that is changing now. Baseball is far less poetic, far less cerebral. It has moved closer to the NFL and NBA is less about the stories and beauty of the game and more about the highlights, the physical domination. I think that is tragic.

It’d have been nice if the decisions that will impact roster construction were made months ago.

14. Likes:

Chip R (01-22-2021),cincinnati chili (01-20-2021),KronoRed (01-20-2021),RED VAN HOT (01-20-2021),Revering4Blue (01-20-2021),Ron Madden (01-20-2021)

I am not ignorant about football, as I said, I like the game. I have spent nearly every weekend of my life watching football when it is in season. But it seems I have hit a nerve with some football fans. I agree football is strategic, but it is nothing like baseball, and it never will be.

And it’s less about how strategic it is and more about how poetic, how literary it is. My entire life, it wasn’t even debatable that baseball was the thinking’s man’s game, especially compared to football and basketball. Volumes of articles and books were written on it. It was a big reason why it was considered the national pastime. It was the game father and sons could bond over, a game that brought communities together.

As I said, that is changing now. Baseball is far less poetic, far less cerebral. It has moved closer to the NFL and NBA is less about the stories and beauty of the game and more about the highlights, the physical domination. I think that is tragic.
    I don't know if you hit a nerve with football fans. You have over-simplified football and over-dramatized baseball.

If Michael Chavis in the mic'd up session linked below is an example of your statement that a baseball player must be cerebral all the time, then I guess you're correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8SELhPGsk

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I don't know if you hit a nerve with football fans. You have over-simplified football and over-dramatized baseball.

If Michael Chavis in the mic'd up session linked below is an example of your statement that a baseball player must be cerebral all the time, then I guess you're correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8SELhPGsk
    Thank you for that wonderful video. It was super entertaining. It also lends to my point that baseball makes great storytelling. And if you don’t think deconstructing the plot problems of the movie “Mulan” is cerebral, I don’t know what to say

LOL, It looks like this thread has jumped the tracks and the original subject put forth for discussion has disappeared.

If they put the DH in place at the last second and I was an NL team I’d be livid.

19. Likes:

757690 (01-20-2021),Ron Madden (01-20-2021)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I didn’t think I’d like the extra inning rule, but it’s fine during the regular season. Alternatively, I think they should lock the exits after beer sales are cut off in the 7th and require all people who claim to be in favor of 16-inning games to sit tight while a bunch of exhausted dudes duke it out for their amusement.
    Stick to your guns.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021),Ron Madden (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    LOL, It looks like this thread has jumped the tracks and the original subject put forth for discussion has disappeared.
    I’m down with making this a Nintendo 64 thread.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?