Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Re: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I get the runner on 2nd rule fundamentally changes the game but there is nothing worse than a 15 inning game. Brutal.
    I don't know, you start with a runner on second and the pitcher gets a routine grounder that gets him to third and a can of corn fly ball that walks it off. That team and pitcher did nothing to lose that game. Just flip a coin if we want that crap. I much prefer a 15 inning game. The whole idea of the runner on second makes me physically ill. I want to vomit every time I see it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2021),Boss-Hog (01-16-2021),dreghorntwo (01-16-2021),Revering4Blue (01-16-2021),texasdave (01-16-2021),The Operator (01-16-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know, you start with a runner on second and the pitcher gets a routine grounder that gets him to third and a can of corn fly ball that walks it off. That team and pitcher did nothing to lose that game. Just flip a coin if we want that crap. I much prefer a 15 inning game. The whole idea of the runner on second makes me physically ill. I want to vomit every time I see it.
    I totally get it and understand.

With that said: I have been at a few games that went past 11 innings. They stop serving beer in the 7th. We left every time. And I consider myself a huge baseball fan. Imagine how casual fans view it. If I’m watching on tv I’m checking out after the 11th. There are just way more viewing options nowadays. Why watch extra inning baseball when I can see what’s on HBO MAX?

And your example is wrong. The pitcher could strike out the batters or induce weak pop-ups. There is some control. Also, both teams get a chance to bat with runner on 2nd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

onehand (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

I get the runner on 2nd rule fundamentally changes the game but there is nothing better than a 15 inning game. Glorious!!!
    I like more baseball, not less. is this you Rob Manfred, the first commissioner who hates the game?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Regardless of what is ultimately decided, this should have all been decided by Thanksgiving.

8. Likes:

bm1475 (01-16-2021),Chip R (01-20-2021),mth123 (01-16-2021),Old school 1983 (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021),Revering4Blue (01-16-2021),Rolando (01-18-2021)

I totally get it and understand.

With that said: I have been at a few games that went past 11 innings. They stop serving beer in the 7th. We left every time. And I consider myself a huge baseball fan. Imagine how casual fans view it. If I’m watching on tv I’m checking out after the 11th. There are just way more viewing options nowadays. Why watch extra inning baseball when I can see what’s on HBO MAX?

And your example is wrong. The pitcher could strike out the batters or induce weak pop-ups. There is some control. Also, both teams get a chance to bat with runner on 2nd.
    If you like HBO MAX more than baseball, and you need beer to watch the game, then you are by definition, a casual fan

Actually, I don’t think you are one, but the game has become so boring because of the 3 outcome problem, that even the hard core fans root for shorter games. Make the game more interesting again, and people will root for extra inning games.

10. Likes:

bm1475 (01-16-2021),dreghorntwo (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I like more baseball, not less. is this you Rob Manfred, the first commissioner who hates the game?
    Yeah, I’m sorry but the 15th inning and beyond is excruciatingly boring.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Gross negligence from the MLB to not have the DH issue settled by now. It’s no wonder the sport is dying.

14. Likes:

bm1475 (01-16-2021),Old school 1983 (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

If you like HBO MAX more than baseball, and you need beer to watch the game, then you are by definition, a casual fan

Actually, I don’t think you are one, but the game has become so boring because of the 3 outcome problem, that even the hard core fans root for shorter games. Make the game more interesting again, and people will root for extra inning games.
    The games I went to that went extra innings was with groups of friends. Generally there are plans for after the game like going out and drinking more/going to a restaurant. When you’re sitting there and your buzz is starting to wear off it sucks.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Love the DH for the Reds.

Winker is a weapon.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

The worst part about this to me is expanded playoffs. I know it was inevitable as soon as they announced the new format last year, but it's a joke to see .500 teams (or below) in an 162-game season have a chance. Even though it doesn't happen around here a lot, I like it when making the playoffs means something.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The worst part about this to me is expanded playoffs. I know it was inevitable as soon as they announced the new format last year, but it's a joke to see .500 teams (or below) in an 162-game season have a chance. Even though it doesn't happen around here a lot, I like it when making the playoffs means something.
    I think we'll have to see how it works out, but this is undeniably going to be the way they do it from now on.

Too much money not to do so.

I'm hopeful the players can extract some meaningful concessions for accepting it.

22. Likes:

bm1475 (01-16-2021)

I’m ok with the DH. I never thought I would be but last season proved me wrong.

But the extra inning rule and 7 inning DH smacks of “just hurry up and get the game over with so I can beat traffic”. I like baseball. The more of it, the better. Without baseball for a big portion of last summer proved me right. If the game is too long, turn the channel. But I’ll keep watching.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-16-2021),mth123 (01-16-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-16-2021)

When I was in grad school I assistant taught for a Shakespeare prof who was pretty adamant that when the original versions were running at the Globe theater they clocked in at under two hours. He'd talked with a pile of psych profs over the years and it seems two hours is sort of the limit for how long humans remain entertained. Even for something you like, there's diminishing returns as it moves toward and past three hours.

And baseball asks fans to tune in every day. I enjoyed 7-inning games, especially when Trevor Bauer was pitching. Suddenly the game was moving at a good pace and a complete game was on the table. It was nice to see an entire game inside of two hours. I was thoroughly entertained.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

26. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (01-16-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    When I was in grad school I assistant taught for a Shakespeare prof who was pretty adamant that when the original versions were running at the Globe theater they clocked in at under two hours. He'd talked with a pile of psych profs over the years and it seems two hours is sort of the limit for how long humans remain entertained. Even for something you like, there's diminishing returns as it moves toward and past three hours.

And baseball asks fans to tune in every day. I enjoyed 7-inning games, especially when Trevor Bauer was pitching. Suddenly the game was moving at a good pace and a complete game was on the table. It was nice to see an entire game inside of two hours. I was thoroughly entertained.
    There is a difference a play or a performance and a game.

We generally know how a play will end, it’s more about seeing how they get there, and the artistry used to accomplish it.

A game is about deciding who is better. Who wins is what is essential, and no one knows that until it’s over. I agree that a Reds game in 2016 was rather boring the moment it started, for this reason. You pretty much knew who was going to win (not the Reds) and even if they did win, you didn’t care, because they had no chance of competing for a title.

But a game between the Reds and Cardinals in 2012? That could go 21 innings and most of us would have been up all night watching every pitch, never bored.

I think the bigger problem is that baseball has become boring. As I stated, the 3 outcome problem is a big factor, but just as big is the division between the big market teams and everyone else. Most fans are rooting for a team that they know have little chance of winning a title. MLB needs to fix that, and then no one will care about the time of the games or extra innings.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

There is a difference a play or a performance and a game.
    There really isn't. Pro team sports all have their roots in providing two-hour chunks of entertainment, and there is a case to be made that you've got diminishing returns as you go well beyond that mark. We even make jokes about how games can get interminable toward their ends.

Husband - There's just five minutes left in the game.
    Wife - How long will that take?

I appreciate the 7-inning game's respect for my time. Also liked not having to wait up for west coast road games.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?