Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Re: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The idea the NFL and NBA is not as strategic, intellectual, cerebral, or whatever is complete nonsense. There’s a reason NFL teams put so much stock in an IQ test for franchise QBs.
    Overall, baseball is leagues more strategic and intellectual than the NFL or NBA. It’s not even a debate. Every player has to be cerebral in baseball, all the time. Nothing like that in the other leagues.

The big rule change in the NFL was that players couldn’t hit each other with the intention to injure. And the fans hate that rule. But yeah, it’s super cerebral.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Overall, baseball is leagues more strategic and intellectual than the NFL or NBA. It’s not even a debate. Every player has to be cerebral in baseball, all the time. Nothing like that in the other leagues.

The big rule change in the NFL was that players couldn’t hit each other with the intention to injure. And the fans hate that rule. But yeah, it’s super cerebral.
    You’re absolutely wrong. Not sure what else to say.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Kc61 (01-16-2021)

All of this is MLB trying to become the NBA and NFL. It will be more popular, but an inferior game. Like Michael Bay movies. Super popular, makes a ton of money, and lousy movies.

Enjoy your quick edited car crashes and gun fights. I will prefer my Kubrick thought provoking storytelling.
    Kubrick only needed roughly 90 minutes for Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove.

And NFL games take forever. I'm not sure how people get through those things or maintain human relationships around them.
    Last edited by M2; 01-16-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

NFL football is a complex, strategic sport for coaches and players. Game plans, formations, play calling and execution, instant decisions, complex rule book, clock management. NBA ball is also strategic, and requires great chemistry among players and knowing how to exploit matchups.

Baseball can be slow moving but that doesn’t mean it’s more strategic or requires a higher sports IQ. All the major sports have an important strategic and IQ component.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-16-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    NFL football is a complex, strategic sport for coaches and players. Game plans, formations, play calling and execution, instant decisions, complex rule book, clock management. NBA ball is also strategic, and requires great chemistry among players and knowing how to exploit matchups.

Baseball can be slow moving but that doesn’t mean it’s more strategic or requires a higher sports IQ. All the major sports have an important strategic and IQ component.
    Go Fish requires some strategy.

It’s not that football and basketball don’t involve strategy. It’s that they pale in comparison to baseball.

What wins in the NFL and NBA is physic and athleticism. Not so with baseball. Joey Votto would suck at both sports. Being smart is what wins in baseball. Well, at least until recently.

Go Fish requires some strategy.

It’s not that football and basketball don’t involve strategy. It’s that they pale in comparison to baseball.

What wins in the NFL and NBA is physic and athleticism. Not so with baseball. Joey Votto would suck at both sports. Being smart is what wins in baseball. Well, at least until recently.
    You haven’t explained why Joey Votto’s hitting is more cerebral than a QB in football or a point guard in basketball.

Not sure if you follow football or basketball closely, but if you did I think your view would be different.

I get the pragmatic reason for the 7 inning doubleheader games. These are extraordinary times and I’m ok with that.

And I’m ok with it going forward with that if the 2 games count 1.5 games in the standings. Using M2’s Shakespeare analogy, the 7 inning game is like when Romeo secretly spends the night in Juliet's chamber, where they consummate their marriage and everyone goes home happy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I can’t take anyone seriously that doesn’t believe NFL QB is the most cerebral position in all of sports.

I can’t take anyone seriously that doesn’t believe NFL QB is the most cerebral position in all of sports.
    I never said I believed that.

The game of baseball overall is significantly more cerebral than the game of football or basketball. I am sure there are some football and basketball players that are smarter than some baseball players.

I never said I believed that.

The game of baseball overall is significantly more cerebral than the game of football or basketball. I am sure there are some football and basketball players that are smarter than some baseball players.
    Aren’t baseball players known to be the least intelligent in sports?

13. Likes:

Crumbley (01-17-2021)

Aren’t baseball players known to be the least intelligent in sports?
    Never heard that.

The point is less about the intelligence of the players and more about the how the game is enjoyed.

Football and basketball is about highlights, great athleticism. Baseball is more about following the strategy.

Baseball can be followed well by reading about it and the boxscore the day afterwards That is how most people followed it for decades. Football and basketball need to be watched. Reading about it does little. I mean, both sports took off only after games were televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Using M2’s Shakespeare analogy, the 7 inning game is like when Romeo secretly spends the night in Juliet's chamber, where they consummate their marriage and everyone goes home happy.
    Though, again, it would be like seeing R&J the way they originally did it (and sometimes still do) without padding it out by an extra hour or more. We've all seen 7-inning games. They have a beginning, middle and end. They're not going to do more than play them as part of doubleheaders any time soon (and they don't play many doubleheaders as it is), but I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though, again, it would be like seeing R&J the way they originally did it (and sometimes still do) without padding it out by an extra hour or more. We've all seen 7-inning games. They have a beginning, middle and end. They're not going to do more than play them as part of doubleheaders any time soon (and they don't play many doubleheaders as it is), but I like them.
    The problem is that they really don’t have a middle. Teams can go right from their starter to the back of their pen, cut out the middle relievers.

Maybe you like that, but in the game over the last few decades, the most decisive part of the game is how each team gets from their starter to their closer. Remove that and the game is much less interesting for me. It’s like mastering level 30 on a video game, then dropping down to level 15 to play. It faster, easier, less anxiety, and not as interesting. Winning doesn’t mean as much.

The problem is that they really don’t have a middle. Teams can go right from their starter to the back of their pen, cut out the middle relievers.
    That's a feature, not a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The worst part about this to me is expanded playoffs. I know it was inevitable as soon as they announced the new format last year, but it's a joke to see .500 teams (or below) in an 162-game season have a chance. Even though it doesn't happen around here a lot, I like it when making the playoffs means something.
    Yes, the expanded playoffs causes a lot of complacency later in the season too.
    The strong teams aren't going to be giving up prospects to try to get that last SP that might get them into the playoffs, because
    they are already guaranteed to make the playoffs. That hurts excitement and the rebuilding teams.

When about half the league makes the playoffs, what's the point of a long 162 game season? It's almost as if the entire season
    is just exhibition games, since about 1/2 the teams are tanking at any given time. The Atlanta-Reds series last year is a perfect example. Reds completely overmatched. It was probably fun for Braves fans, no fun for Reds fans (other than to say "we made it"), and for other fans, not fun at all.

Hopefully, the vaccine gets distributed enough before opening day that fans can attend.
    Not being political, just hoping the restrictions are lifted by then.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 01-17-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?