Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Re: MLB Discussing Universal DH And Expanded Playoffs For 2021

Long story short: Season starting on time.

Attachment 16943
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

The union released the following statement on Monday night:

"Late last week, the MLBPA for the first time this offseason received a proposal from MLB to delay Spring Training and Opening Day by approximately one month.

Under the proposal, the end of the season would be delayed one week, the regular season would be shortened to 154 games and all thirty teams would be required to play several doubleheaders. Players would also be required to accept previously rejected proposals that link expanded playoffs with expansion of the designated hitter.

Although Player salaries would not be initially prorated to a 154-game regular season, MLB's proposal offers no salary or service time protections in the event of further delays, interruptions, or cancellation of the season.

The MLBPA Executive Board and Player leadership reviewed and discussed the owners' proposal throughout the weekend and today. The clear-cut result of these deliberations is that Players will not accept MLB's proposal, will instead continue preparations for an on-time start to the 2021 season, and will accept MLB's commitment to again direct its Clubs to prepare for an on-time start.

We do not make this decision lightly. Players know first-hand the efforts that were required to complete the abbreviated 2020 season, and we appreciate that significant challenges lie ahead. We look forward to promptly finalizing enhanced health and safety protocols that will help Players and Clubs meet these challenges."

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd love to hear from the pro-owner crowd about this.
    Obviously the players are not too worried about the covid issue after what they said tonight.
    Crazy Reds Fan

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

https://twitter.com/EugeneFreedman/s...56806629978112

TL;DR: The players can't counter-offer, because to do so puts the entire CBA in peril, and could result in management unilaterally imposing its will on the players.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Chip R (02-02-2021),Ron Madden (02-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Obviously the players are not too worried about the covid issue after what they said tonight.
    Please read post #103 of this thread to understand why the players rejected this proposal.

One big issue for players is the expanded authority Friday’s proposal gives Commissioner Rob Manfred
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-02-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Expanded playoffs is a big consideration for Reds fans.

It could determine if Reds will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.

Still hoping parties can negotiate out the DH/Expanded playoff debate, although it doesn’t look promising right now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-12-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Expanded playoffs is a big consideration for Reds fans.

It could determine if Reds will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.

Still hoping parties can negotiate out the DH/Expanded playoff debate, although it doesn’t look promising right now.
    They'll probably strike an agreement at midnight on the last day before the season starts.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

GAC (02-15-2021),Old school 1983 (02-12-2021),Revering4Blue (02-12-2021),Ron Madden (02-12-2021)

I don't understand this. Maybe other states are different, but here (Ohio) the vaccines are readily available.
    My adult kids all got them already, and they aren't high risk.
    Why can't the players just get vaccinated and then go to spring training?
    I would even go so far as to say.. the players that don't want to be vaccinated.. fine, it's your own decision.

Other than a ploy by the owners, this delay of spring training and mucking with the schedule doesn't make logical sense.
    I mean, if they want to limit the crowds in spring training or whatever, fine.. but I don't see why the players are at risk.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't understand this. Maybe other states are different, but here (Ohio) the vaccines are readily available.
    My adult kids all got them already, and they aren't high risk.
    Why can't the players just get vaccinated and then go to spring training?
    I would even go so far as to say.. the players that don't want to be vaccinated.. fine, it's your own decision.

Other than a ploy by the owners, this delay of spring training and mucking with the schedule doesn't make logical sense.
    I mean, if they want to limit the crowds in spring training or whatever, fine.. but I don't see why the players are at risk.
    I live in CLE and I won’t be able to get a vaccine until TBD, how did your kids get one?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Last edited by REDREAD; 02-13-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I live in CLE and I won’t be able to get a vaccine until TBD, how did your kids get one?
    Oh dude, I was wrong. One of my sons got a favor done and got his siblings on it too.
    Shots aren't freely available. I asked him tonight where he got it at, hoping to pass on the info for you.
    I wanted to post on the thread so that no one wastes their time looking.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-13-2021)

It's not readily available here in Logan County yet. My wife is 65, on our Dr's waiting list, and is scheduled for the second week of March. Scheduled that is!

There is some "uneven" distribution going on though because Shelby Co, especially Sidney, seems to have ample supply. My friends, both 65, went to the Walgreens here and it wasn't available yet. The pharmacist told them to call the Sidney Walgreens, and they got an appt the next day and drove over. The pharmacist there told them to have people call and they'll get them in if they can. Even if they aren't 65 yet. Their logic is - if the 65+ aren't coming in at the rate expected, then we want to get the vaccine to as many people as possible that want it. So if you want to get the shot ASAP, then shop around the other counties through the websites for the various pharmacies (Kroger, CVS, Walgreen, etc) who can tell you availability and where to call.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-15-2021 at 04:29 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2021)

My wife got her 1st stage Covid vaccine shot Wednesday, and I go it yesterday. We were on our Family Physician's list, which runs through the main local hospital Mary Rutan. They then automatically scheduled our next appt 30 days out. Neither of us has had any ill effects so far.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-19-2021),REDREAD (02-19-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021)

I received my first vaccine shot last week, with the second shot scheduled for March 12. I'm age 65, so I fell into a relative priority group, and I was probably on a half-dozen separate lists for the vaccine. No side effects.
    My wife works for the school system. She received her second shot last week.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

21. Likes:

GAC (02-19-2021),Revering4Blue (02-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?