Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Re: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    There were stories out of Cleveland and national stories naming Puig as target the Indians were aiming at before the trade deadline.

At the time of the trade the Cleveland believed Puig would The Valuable middle of the order bat they needed.
    I am guessing the Tribe wanted Castillo or Suarez as well. Just because they wanted Puig doesn’t mean they had to have him to make the deal.

The question is could the Reds have acquired Bauer without Puig? I think the could have. Others disagree.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Puig couldn’t crack an .800 OPS as a Red, didn’t post good fielding metrics (which I guarantee the Indians put stock in), and still had a good chunk of change left on his deal when he was traded (which I know the Indians would put even more stock into.)

They absolutely could’ve still gotten Bauer if they had never acquired Puig.

5. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (01-21-2021),REDREAD (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Puig couldn’t crack an .800 OPS as a Red, didn’t post good fielding metrics (which I guarantee the Indians put stock in), and still had a good chunk of change left on his deal when he was traded (which I know the Indians would put even more stock into.)

Yep. He was a throw in for the deal.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

Maybe Brandon Claussen i s available

Doubt it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-21-2021),Revering4Blue (01-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Doubt it.
    Here’s my thoughts on this:

If the Tribe liked Puig so much, and he was essential to any Bauer trade, then they are dumb enough to be convinced to accept another player instead.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

Doubt it.
    I guarantee a guy who was worth 1.3 WAR that season making 10 million bucks didn’t have enough trade value to torpedo that move if he wasn’t around to be included in it. They could’ve filled his absence with a PTBNL level prospect and have been totally fine.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

I guarantee a guy who was worth 1.3 WAR that season making 10 million bucks didn’t have enough trade value to torpedo that move if he wasn’t around to be included in it. They could’ve filled his absence with a PTBNL level prospect and have been totally fine.
    I guarantee he was in the deal, represented a payroll cut from Bauer's contract and hit cleanup every day. The Indians had a use for him. If they had immediately tossed him aside, I'd buy your argument that he was fungible. However, when you trade for a player and use him in a key role, Occam's Razor says you wanted that player.
    Last edited by M2; 01-21-2021 at 11:44 PM.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-21-2021)

I guarantee he was in the deal, represented a payroll cut from Bauer's contract and hit cleanup every day. The Indians had a use for him. If they had immediately tossed him aside, I'd buy your argument that he was fungible. However, when you trade for a player and use him in a key role, Occam's Razor says you wanted that player.
    I’m sure they were fine with having him. But I find the notion that the Reds just couldn’t have gotten Bauer if they hadn’t traded for a 1.3 win Puig the previous winter absurd. Even if Cleveland hit him cleanup. The Reds hit Matt Davidson cleanup this year despite him being a jabroni. Puig was aggressively mediocre that season and his value in that trade was thoroughly replaceable.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

Like there’s just no way a team is going to go “well we were going to trade you a year and a half off an above average pitcher less than a season removed from a Cy Young level campaign, but now that you won’t send us 2 months of a below average corner outfielder making another 4-5 million bucks to our notoriously cheap asses, we’re not going to do it anymore.”

Reyes and Allen at the very least were the real prizes for the Indians in that deal, that was the real key. Not a rental for a dude who was having a hard time scraping together 1 win of value at the time.

20. Likes:

JFLegal (01-22-2021),REDREAD (01-22-2021)

This might be more convincing if the Tribe had made any effort to sign Puig in 2020. As for the payroll, my guess is Puig’s contract had more to do with the Reds wanting to include him, than the Tribe.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2021)

I’m sure they were fine with having him. But I find the notion that the Reds just couldn’t have gotten Bauer if they hadn’t traded for a 1.3 win Puig the previous winter absurd. Even if Cleveland hit him cleanup. The Reds hit Matt Davidson cleanup this year despite him being a jabroni. Puig was aggressively mediocre that season and his value in that trade was thoroughly replaceable.
    If they didn't have Puig, the Indians and Padres probably find another dance partner. The Reds has something both the other teams wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This might be more convincing if the Tribe had made any effort to sign Puig in 2020. As for the payroll, my guess is Puig’s contract had more to do with the Reds wanting to include him, than the Tribe.
    Because teams never trade for pending FAs when they're chasing the playoffs.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

If they didn't have Puig, the Indians and Padres probably find another dance partner. The Reds has something both the other teams wanted.
    The fact that they needed a third team strongly suggests that they had a hard time finding a trade partner for Bauer.

What many are forgetting is that at the time of the trade, Bauer had worn out his welcome with the Tribe. This was right after he chucked the ball into CF when getting pulled by Francona. The Tribe were getting rid of a problem player. They weren’t in a position to make many demands.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The fact that they needed a third team strongly suggests that they had a hard time finding a trade partner for Bauer.

What many are forgetting is that at the time of the trade, Bauer had worn out his welcome with the Tribe. This was right after he chucked the ball into CF when getting pulled by Francona. The Tribe were getting rid of a problem player. They weren’t in a position to make many demands.
    As we've seen, Trevor Bauer is a team killer. Teams would be crazy to get that guy.

Why do we even care about Puig. Hasn’t been on the team in 2 years. Entertaining but overrated player

Turn Off Ads?