Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Re: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    You're arguing he was a key to that trade. He wasn't and pretending he was is laughable. The trade was about the prospects Cleveland got, not a rental OF that had no real trade value.
    Ok, so, the logic here is that the Cleveland Indians. Perhaps the most infamously cheap teams in all of professional sports, added a not-cheap contract and batted him clean-up, just to get Reyes and Allen? The team that was 1 game out first place in their division and had a 91 wRC+ among all of their OF? Like, this is the thought?

In real life if the Indians didn’t need to add a salary they ABSOLUTELY would not have. It is the cleveland Indians for goodness sake.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Where is this alternate universe where the Indians take on salary to get prospects? The team that just unloaded Carrasco to the Mets simply to trade Lindor and get nobody in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    You're arguing he was a key to that trade.
    He was in the trade. Almost every major league component in a trade is a key to that trade. That's how trades work.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Puig was an asset needed to complete the Bauer trade. Yet I am sure if Puig was never a Red the Reds could have cobbled together another trade for Bauer.

I’m fine with saying the Reds lost the LA trade, though there was some logic in it if you were bullish on Alex Wood as I was. But if you lose a trade I suppose the next best thing is to flip one of the guys from the first trade in a winning second trade, which I think the Reds did.

Can’t win em all.

7. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2021),REDREAD (01-25-2021),The Operator (01-23-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, they didn’t want Puig at all, they just took him off the reds hands to get Reyes. Like, good lord, we sound ridiculous? The Indians definitely have a track record of adding salary they don’t need. That’s definitely a trait of one of the most notoriously cheap teams in all of professional sport. Right.
    Balancing $ in trades really shouldn't be that hard to understand.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He was in the trade. Almost every major league component in a trade is a key to that trade. That's how trades work.
    If he wasn't in the trade, it would have been reworked like hundreds of other trades the past decade. The deal didn't hinge on Puig being in it. All they cared about was getting Trammell so they could flip him to San Diego for prospects they valued more than him.

There's a reason why Puig didn't find interest after his contract expired...

11. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds definitely wanted to get rid of Puig because he was a FA after the season and they were going nowhere. The Indians also definitely wanted Puig. The Reds added salary in that deal. Cutting payroll was not their motivation.
    Not a straight payroll cut, but definitely offsetting some of the salary to add Bauer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Puig was an asset needed to complete the Bauer trade. Yet I am sure if Puig was never a Red the Reds could have cobbled together another trade for Bauer.

I’m fine with saying the Reds lost the LA trade, though there was some logic in it if you were bullish on Alex Wood as I was. But if you lose a trade I suppose the next best thing is to flip one of the guys from the first trade in a winning second trade, which I think the Reds did.

Can’t win em all.
    Maybe true, but I don’t know - reds weren’t exactly overflowing with OFs at the time.

I think they lost the LA trade as well, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Not a straight payroll cut, but definitely offsetting some of the salary to add Bauer.
    Like a trade where one team gets something and the other team gets something?

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ok, so, the logic here is that the Cleveland Indians. Perhaps the most infamously cheap teams in all of professional sports, added a not-cheap contract and batted him clean-up, just to get Reyes and Allen? The team that was 1 game out first place in their division and had a 91 wRC+ among all of their OF? Like, this is the thought?

In real life if the Indians didn’t need to add a salary they ABSOLUTELY would not have. It is the cleveland Indians for goodness sake.
    They didn't add salary. Bauer was making $4 mil more than Puig in 2019. Not to mention they factored in Bauer's final arbitration salary...

17. Likes:

REDREAD (01-25-2021)

This thread has nothing to do with Luis Castillo or the Yankees....

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-23-2021),M2 (01-23-2021),MikeS21 (01-23-2021),ochoa30 (01-23-2021),Old school 1983 (01-26-2021),Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    This thread has nothing to do with Luis Castillo or the Yankees....
    Fact

Reminds me of the yearly "We should have traded Casey instead of Konerko" threads.
    Go Gators!

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Reminds me of the yearly "We should have traded Casey instead of Konerko" threads.
    LOL if we're going to go there they definitely should have traded Casey instead in a heartbeat
    Crazy Reds Fan

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    LOL if we're going to go there they definitely should have traded Casey instead in a heartbeat
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

25. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2021),RedTeamGo! (01-23-2021)

Turn Off Ads?