Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Re: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

A smart team might be able to parlay Yankee interest in Castillo into creating some payroll space AND deepening the farm system while also still competing for a division title.

Reds trade Suarez (sigh), Castellanos, Castillo, and Barnhart for Garcia, Schmidt, Dominguez, Torres, Sanchez, Andujar, and Frazier.

Reds then, with the around $20M in this deal added to reallocation funds from earlier penny pinching, sign Paxton to a incentive-laden deal to replace Castillo plus a closer from among Brad Hand, Alex Colome, or Kirby Yates to boost the pen. They'd probably still have money left over for either another gamble on a pitcher or assorted depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just let us know where to send your final paycheck......
    Man, 3 more years and I qualify for RZ Pension. So close...

4. Likes:

JaxRed (01-17-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is the exact deal that I was thinking about, except I'd play Torres at 2B and sign Didi Gregorius using the Moose money. You'd replace Castillo with another high ceiling arm, improve the offense and fix the infield. Then use teh Saving from Castillo vs. Garcia to sign a solid reliever.

The Yankees would never do this though, so it's not happening.
    Yeah, I was thinking something similar to this as well. Yankees could actually use a guy like Moose on the infield. They would also likely turn around a sign Didi, so the Reds would probably end up with Simmons on a 1-year deal and go with Garcia/Torres beginning in 22.

Reds would probably have to take a contract back - maybe Britton. So it'd be Britton, Torres, Garcia, etc. for Castillo and Moose. I'm not sure it makes the Reds better in 21, but it sets up 22-24 to be pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't really consider Clark Schmidt a minor leaguer. I think if Reds traded for him he'd be in Reds 2021 rotation plans.
    Ok, can’t say I know these Yankees prospects very well so will defer on that.

But the formula for the trade IMO would be:

1. Reds trade Castillo and one of more burdensome contracts, Cast, Moose or (less likely) Votto. Not trading cost effective contracts like Suarez and Gray in this deal.

2. Reds get a package of young players, including both MLB and prospect types.

3. Reds try to avoid the Downs/Gray problem, don’t include their own high value prospects to Yanks.

4. Reds get more aggressive in free agency and fill out team there.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-17-2021 at 10:20 AM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Top prospects have risen to untouchable levels in today's baseball market. Even the wealthy Yankees have taken on the small market frugal perspective toward prospects. Instead teams are offering quantity over quality with players ranked outside their top 5. Teams will have to develop their own stars, but can use trades to fill out the squad if they hit on enough of the right targets.

Not sure I have faith on the Reds pulling that off. A Castillo trade would make me very nervous.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-17-2021 at 12:32 PM.

9. Likes:

Chainsaw (01-17-2021),REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just knowing where the Reds are as an organization, I doubt they would do this trade to bring on another rebuild.
    I think most of us don't want a rebuild at this point.
    But the alternative is to try to "go for it" in 2021 and possibly 2022.
    If we do that, we are going to have very limited financial flexiblity, due to the big contracts we have.
    After 2022, we probably have no choice but to do a rebuild (if we stay with the current core, more or less).
    Gray and Lorenzen will be FA by then. Now maybe Greene, Lodello or new acquisions fill that void, however.

I am not saying we have to start a rebuild now, I really don't want to do that either, but we are kind of backed into a corner
    now. Not much money to add talent, and some good players with not a lot of control left.

I really hope that if a Castillo trade is done, it's not done just to unload Castanellos or another big contract with Castillo.
    But that's another option I suppose.

So I'm not disagreeing with you.. In fact, I think if Castillo is traded, it pretty much means that we did all that tanking for nothing, because we are back to square 1, more or less. Could we contend in the weak NL Central without Castillo? Possibly, but it's a lot tougher. Of course, maybe enough salary is shed in the trade to acquire a starting pitcher to replace Castillo's slot in the rotation.. Anything is possible.. But I still say that if Castillo is traded, the Reds are admitting the last rebuild was a complete failure. I know others will disagree and that's ok.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 01-17-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just knowing where the Reds are as an organization, I doubt they would do this trade to bring on another rebuild.
    Another? Have they even finished the first one?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Another? Have they even finished the first one?
    Uh pretty clearly
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Uh pretty clearly
    Wow. Then the first one ended up being pretty shoddy.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Tell them to go to hell.
    New York is Hell

Correct, and they are pretty clearly not rebuilding right now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think most of us don't want a rebuild at this point.
    But the alternative is to try to "go for it" in 2021 and possibly 2022.
    If we do that, we are going to have very limited financial flexiblity, due to the big contracts we have.
    After 2022, we probably have no choice but to do a rebuild (if we stay with the current core, more or less).
    Gray and Lorenzen will be FA by then. Now maybe Greene, Lodello or new acquisions fill that void, however.

I am not saying we have to start a rebuild now, I really don't want to do that either, but we are kind of backed into a corner
    now. Not much money to add talent, and some good players with not a lot of control left.

I really hope that if a Castillo trade is done, it's not done just to unload Castanellos or another big contract with Castillo.
    But that's another option I suppose.

So I'm not disagreeing with you.. In fact, I think if Castillo is traded, it pretty much means that we did all that tanking for nothing, because we are back to square 1, more or less. Could we contend in the weak NL Central without Castillo? Possibly, but it's a lot tougher. Of course, maybe enough salary is shed in the trade to acquire a starting pitcher to replace Castillo's slot in the rotation.. Anything is possible.. But I still say that if Castillo is traded, the Reds are admitting the last rebuild was a complete failure. I know others will disagree and that's ok.
    I wouldn’t project what Reds would look like after this trade, if it ever happens. We all have our preferences, but we don’t know the return, the level of cost savings, the FA signings using any cost savings.

For example, if Reds wind up with Torres and Didi in the middle infield, can’t say all the rebuilding was for nothing. That would be a heckuva core to go with other good players they have.

It would be a very different team, but I’d hold off reaching any conclusions.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-17-2021 at 01:39 PM.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Why would the Reds trade Castillo to New York for Torres?

Certainly not to save money.

The Reds just signed Castillo for $4.2 million.
    Yankees just signed Torres for $4 million.
    Doesn't make any sense to me.

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (01-17-2021)

Hence the restlessness of the natives over the last couple of years.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why would the Reds trade Castillo to New York for Torres?

Certainly not to save money.

The Reds just signed Castillo for $4.2 million.
    Yankees just signed Torres for $4 million.
    Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Torres is a young, talented SS with one year more control than Castillo. He fills a position of extreme need with adequacy and possible All-Star production.

And he'd not be the only piece coming back.

25. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?