Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Re: Rumor: Yankees interested in trading for Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why would the Reds trade Castillo to New York for Torres?

Certainly not to save money.

The Reds just signed Castillo for $4.2 million.
    Yankees just signed Torres for $4 million.
    Doesn't make any sense to me.

Agreed. Plus, he stinks defensively and isn't a real SS.

If the Reds trade Castillo it'll be for prospects that are controllable for 5+ years (ie: Schmidt, Garcia, Dominguez), otherwise it's pointless to consider.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

There’s only a handful of teams I would consider that have the prospect capital to acquire Castillo and the Yankees ain’t one of them.

I would need someone like Mackenzie Gore as a headliner.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

ochoa30 (01-17-2021),Revering4Blue (01-17-2021)

Reds may feel it’s easier for them to develop pitching with Boddy and Co than an elite SS.

Reds would attach a salary dump contract to any deal.

They’d use the value of Castillo to force the Yankees to take a big contract off Reds’ hands.

Only way this makes any sense whatsoever.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking something similar to this as well. Yankees could actually use a guy like Moose on the infield. They would also likely turn around a sign Didi, so the Reds would probably end up with Simmons on a 1-year deal and go with Garcia/Torres beginning in 22.

Reds would probably have to take a contract back - maybe Britton. So it'd be Britton, Torres, Garcia, etc. for Castillo and Moose. I'm not sure it makes the Reds better in 21, but it sets up 22-24 to be pretty interesting.
    If they could get those three guys it would absolutely make the Reds better. Garcia in the rotation, Britton would be a nice piece in the pen, probably as closer. Torres at 2B instead of Moose improves the offense and the defense significantly. Even Simmons at SS would be OK. Heck, Garcia at Ss might be OK. If they fix the IF defense, the bullpen and improve eth offense, it may be worth Garcia instead of Castillo and Garcia might end up being pretty good himself.

I'd do that deal and the overall upgrades would have me thinking the Reds would be a favorite inteh Central as long as the DH keeps Castellanos and Winker from being on the field at the same time. I can't imagine teh Yankees doing anything close to that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds would attach a salary dump contract to any deal.

They’d use the value of Castillo to force the Yankees to take a big contract off Reds’ hands.

Only way this makes any sense whatsoever.
    That makes zero sense. If the Reds are going to trade away Castillo, they damn well better get elite prospects in return, not salary relief that'll go right into ownership's pocket.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-18-2021),Wonderful Monds (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    That makes zero sense. If the Reds are going to trade away Castillo, they damn well better get elite prospects in return, not salary relief that'll go right into ownership's pocket.
    I disagree. Salary relief would remove the bad contracts that has the reds locked into to an ill-fitting rodter for teh nextthree years.Torres would be the second baseman if the Reds acquire him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The salary relief is not the whole trade. Reds would also get player value back.

Reds would then also have the flexibility to go into the FA market with the cost savings.

That template for a trade does make sense IMO, depending on the player return. Hard to project what it would be.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

This article is saying that if the deal is done, Frazier and Andújar would be key pieces.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/01/m...outputType=amp
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

My uneducated opinion is Castillo is awesome. The Reds are contenders to win the NL Central. Already lost Bauer (whom, also my uneducated opinion, may have been a flash in the pan last year. He's had some great seasons but ever anything like this?), they should keep Luis.

I feel if the offense improves, and, based on the fact it couldn't possibly be worse than last year, it should, the Reds will be a much improved team, as long as they don't go dumping everyone good.

Losing Bauer isn't as big of a deal as some think, but losing another of the stud SP's would be. Keep Castillo and Gray.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This article is saying that if the deal is done, Frazier and Andújar would be key pieces.

lmao no thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also if the Reds used Castillo to salary dump one of the “bad” contracts they don’t like, they should be contracted.

20. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (01-17-2021)

I'm hopeful that's just Yankee arrogance talking and not an actual deal.

If Krall takes that, he should be fired.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-17-2021)

That deal would be monumentally stupid.

Worse than Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I disagree. Salary relief would remove the bad contracts that has the reds locked into to an ill-fitting rodter for teh nextthree years.Torres would be the second baseman if the Reds acquire him.
    How'd the salary relief from the Bailey trade work out? If the Reds didn't insist on that, they wouldn't have had to sacrifice two guys that are now valuable Top 50ish prospects.

You're either saving money or getting premium prospects in return for Castillo, not both.

25. Likes:

podgejeff_ (01-17-2021)

I can understand that if Reds are dumping salary in the trade, the player return would be reduced. Part of Reds’ return would be the salary relief.

What I don’t understand is Reds apparent interest in outfielders in this trade. In this case, Frazier and Andujar. Andujar also plays third base, a position at which Reds are well stocked.

I would think they’d be looking primarily for middle infield and pitching.

One implication is that Castellanos would be in the trade. Another possible implication is that Suarez is moving.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-17-2021 at 03:00 PM.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (01-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?