Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Question for the WVU fans: hasn't the ACC already passed on them as recently as the last round of expansion when they ended up in the Big XII? Beyond just the cultural fit, my understanding has always been that WVU to the ACC is a non-starter from the conference's perspective, but I figured you'd know better than what I've read/heard. Personally, I'd love to see UC reunited with them one way or another.
    Some things have changed....first the facilities are night and day in many ways since the last realignment. WVU was really behind in this area, but would now definitely be superior to many ACC programs. Also, WVU recently obtained a R1 Carnegie Classification for research which was a big con against them in the last round. I do not know what the ACC will do, but they will be evaluating a much improved program than they did last round. On top of that WVU would enter as having the 4th highest attendance (over last 5 years) and 4th/5th highest recruiting (over the last 5 years) in the ACC.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post

It is complicated though because I assure you that UCF and Cincinnati are not waiting to get invited to a Big12 without Texas and Oklahoma....they are both marketing themselves hoping to jump the line into the ACC. There are some reports out there that the ACC has some interest in UCF.
    Don't really see any reason for the ACC to take either UC or UCF, and while not ideal for them even a wounded Big XII is 1000% better than the American. But if OU and Texas leave, I cannot see the remaining 8 Big "XII" schools sticking together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I like the idea of pods in the SEC, but can't get to where it makes sense geographically and with biggest rivals.

The nearest I can do is:

Northwest
    Missouri
    Arkansas
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

Southwest
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M
    LSU

Southeast
    Florida
    Georgia
    Auburn
    Alabama

Northeast
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vandy
    I doubt that will be the pods....you have all of the good teams in Southeast and Southwest....they would have to be more evenly distributed based on quality. Bama and Auburn may share a pod....but not with UGA and UF.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If that potential opens up a chance at WVU To SEC then please let it happen and take Missouri while you're at it. These presidents are going to kill the golden goose.
    Personally the only chance I could see WVU going to the SEC is if they wanted to bring in OK State for some reason to make it easier for Oklahoma....then I could see WVU coming in with OK State. It does not appear Oklahoma is going to try to help OK State this time around.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If they go to pods, I'm not sure how they do conference championship games. Would they have a semi-final and a final? Add that to expanded playoffs, they may end up playing more games than an NFL team would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If I was the......

Big10 - I would take a big swing and see if I could pull UNC and UVa. Two high pedigree academic schools with very good all around athletic departments. Personally, I just do not think the response to the SEC adding Texas and Oklahoma can be to add Kansas and Iowa State.

SEC - I would not take my foot off the pedal, and go after Clemson and FSU. They are in the footprint and the two biggest football powerhouse programs left in the footprint outside the SEC.

ACC - I would go after Penn State. Clearly the ACC would have to illustrate that a renegotiated media deal would make them whole (or close to it). You have to be aggressive in this arms race, and I think Penn State is the least attached attractive brand in the Big10. I also think they would not hate renewing some of their traditional rivalries. If you can get Penn State, then of course I would bring in WVU also.

PAC12 - I would try to add all 8 remaining Big12 teams. Set it up as two 10 team divisions (kick over Colorado and Utah) that do not play across divisions during the regular season....only the championship game. There would be some limited cross division play in other sports. It would basically be an alliance masquerading as a conference. The PAC12 has to also be bold, and geography does not provide many options.

Big12 - I would have to at least try to bring in other P5 teams...Arizona schools? If that did not work, I would be looking for a new home....every man for himself. If that does not work, then the eight would need to find the most optimal option moving forward together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If they go to pods, I'm not sure how they do conference championship games. Would they have a semi-final and a final? Add that to expanded playoffs, they may end up playing more games than an NFL team would.
    I think the SEC....or speculation about the SEC is it would be the 2 highest ranked teams.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I think the Virginia legislature has tied UVA and Va Tech together so that if one changes conferences, the other goes with it. Does the Big 10 want Tech also?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think the Virginia legislature has tied UVA and Va Tech together so that if one changes conferences, the other goes with it. Does the Big 10 want Tech also?
    No, I do not think Va. Tech is a fit in the Big10....just my opinion. I am not an attorney, but I would have to think that type of legislation is shaky and may not hold up in court if challenged.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    just based on this article, I do not see any mention of legislation. It was just the Governor who appoints the UVa board members demanding they only vote for expansion if it included Va. Tech....basically under the threat of losing their board seat.

https://sonsofsaturday.com/vt/articl...ath-to-the-acc
    ― Marcus Aurelius

12. Likes:

UKFlounder (07-26-2021)

Can North Carolina handle being in a league in which they are not firmly in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Can North Carolina handle being in a league in which they are not firmly in charge?
    Maybe, they have always seen themselves as above the unwashed masses in the rest of the conference.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    This is what made me change my mind. I think you do two 8 team divisions.

SEC East
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

SEC West
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Missouri
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas A&M

Each team plays 9 conference games per year. 7 against each team in your division, rotating years of 4 home/3 away games and 3 home /4 away games.

The other two games would be rotating pods of two. You do away with the permeant cross division opponent (because it's friggin stupid). These two games would rotate with 1 home/ 1 away and reverse the second time around.

Example: SEC East team 8 year schedule vs. SEC West

YR1 - at Arkansas, vs. LSU
    YR2 - at Ole Miss, vs. Mississippi State
    YR3 - at Texas, vs. Oklahoma
    YR4 - at Texas A&M, vs. Missouri
    YR5 - at LSU, vs. Arkansas
    YR6 - at Mississippi State, vs. Ole Miss
    YR7 - at Oklahoma, vs. Texas
    YR8 - at Missouri, vs. Texas A&M

This would allow for the traditional SEC Championship Game to be played between the SEC East Winner and SEC West Winner. It also keeps it to where each SEC team plays every other SEC team at least once every 4 years.

As a UF fan I despise the idea of Alabama and Auburn coming East but geographically it makes the most sense. This allows the SEC to protect almost all of its best rivalry games, outside of some matchups like LSU-Bama and LSU-Auburn but you're picking up the Red River Rivalry, adding LSU showdowns with Texas and Oklahoma, a potential very bitter rivalry in Texas and Texas A&M plus pitting Alabama and Auburn against the likes of Florida and Georgia every year.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 07-26-2021 at 01:05 PM.

^^I honestly still do not see it....I just do not think UF, UGA, Auburn and Alabama will accept being in the same division. I totally get what you are doing and it seems logical, but I think some internal politics is going to guide the structure. They may even split up Texas and TA&M as a favor to A&M. I personally think the reason they are expected to go to 4 pods is to be able to split up their premium programs as much as possible.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

^^I honestly still do not see it....I just do not think UF, UGA, Auburn and Alabama will accept being in the same division. I totally get what you are doing and it seems logical, but I think some internal politics is going to guide the structure. They may even split up Texas and TA&M as a favor to A&M. I personally think the reason they are expected to go to 4 pods is to be able to split up their premium programs as much as possible.
    I also don’t think the non blue bloods will bite even with the money involved in two divisions. In this scenario the SEC East is too loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Could they do two divisions with a north and south?

North
    Oklahoma
    Arkansas
    Missouri
    Kentucky
    Vandy
    Tennessee
    South Carolina
    Georgia

South
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State
    Auburn
    Alabama
    Florida

Ole Miss is technically more north than Georgia, but I'm guessing UGA is fine eschewing its yearly tilt with Florida in order to take on the weaker division. It's still too tilted to the South too.

Turn Off Ads?