Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If they go to pods, I'm not sure how they do conference championship games. Would they have a semi-final and a final? Add that to expanded playoffs, they may end up playing more games than an NFL team would.
    This is what made me change my mind. I think you do two 8 team divisions.

SEC East
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

SEC West
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Missouri
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas A&M

Each team plays 9 conference games per year. 7 against each team in your division, rotating years of 4 home/3 away games and 3 home /4 away games.

The other two games would be rotating pods of two. You do away with the permeant cross division opponent (because it's friggin stupid). These two games would rotate with 1 home/ 1 away and reverse the second time around.

Example: SEC East team 8 year schedule vs. SEC West

YR1 - at Arkansas, vs. LSU
    YR2 - at Ole Miss, vs. Mississippi State
    YR3 - at Texas, vs. Oklahoma
    YR4 - at Texas A&M, vs. Missouri
    YR5 - at LSU, vs. Arkansas
    YR6 - at Mississippi State, vs. Ole Miss
    YR7 - at Oklahoma, vs. Texas
    YR8 - at Missouri, vs. Texas A&M

This would allow for the traditional SEC Championship Game to be played between the SEC East Winner and SEC West Winner. It also keeps it to where each SEC team plays every other SEC team at least once every 4 years.

As a UF fan I despise the idea of Alabama and Auburn coming East but geographically it makes the most sense. This allows the SEC to protect almost all of its best rivalry games, outside of some matchups like LSU-Bama and LSU-Auburn but you're picking up the Red River Rivalry, adding LSU showdowns with Texas and Oklahoma, a potential very bitter rivalry in Texas and Texas A&M plus pitting Alabama and Auburn against the likes of Florida and Georgia every year.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; Today at 01:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

^^I honestly still do not see it....I just do not think UF, UGA, Auburn and Alabama will accept being in the same division. I totally get what you are doing and it seems logical, but I think some internal politics is going to guide the structure. They may even split up Texas and TA&M as a favor to A&M. I personally think the reason they are expected to go to 4 pods is to be able to split up their premium programs as much as possible.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?