Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don’t know, it kinda strikes me as Cincinnati hiring Tommy Tuberville because Mark Dantonio and Butch Jones left for other jobs.
    I was thinking Charlie Strong at USF

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, you’re telling me Gus Malzahn is on his way to becoming a US Senator?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

WVRed (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    So, you’re telling me Gus Malzahn is on his way to becoming a US Senator?
    that is the dots I connected.

In regards to Gus staying at UCF longer than an up and comer, that will depend on his opportunities. The contract was written with the buyout getting very low after about year two, and I am sure Gus wanted it that way for a reason. If he gets to a NY6 Bowl or two and a Top 15ish P5 program calls, I would assume he is gone. UCF may have been better is Gus was in the 59-60 years old age range becasuse the odds really begin to decrease for elite jobs after 60, or at least it seems that way in my lifetime. He is 55 and that is still in the age range and big program will be interested in if he has early success.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For what he did at LSU

The cheats always skate on by
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-10-2021)

I have not kept up with the Spring games this year, and WVU has not played their game yet. This morning I was watching some of FSU's from last week, and McKenzie Milton looked impressive after almost a 2 year absence. He played a couple series, but clearly appeared to look the best of their QB group. He dropped a couple dimes to his receivers including one for a TD. He also broke off a nice run on that rebuilt leg...showed good burst/speed. If he is QB#1 and remains healthy this year, I think FSU will surprise a lot of people this year....the kid is special.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Found this article to be a little misleading, but it provides a look at conference payouts from recent year.

Big Ten led all Power Five conferences in revenue for 2020 fiscal year

Total revenue:

Big Ten $768.9 million
    SEC: $728.9 million
    Pac-12: $533.8 million
    ACC: $496.7 million
    Big 12: $409.2 million
    School payouts

Big Ten: $54.3 million
    SEC: $45.5 million
    Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
    Pac-12: $33.6 million
    ACC: $30.9 to $37 million
    1. Everyone is on different timelines. The primary reason the Big10 is on top is because they are on the most recently signed deal. I think their deal was signed in 2017ish.....the Big12 is on a 2012 deal and the SEC's deal is older than that.

2. The article does break down a per school amount which is rare in these articles. It is often reported that the Big12 is far behind every other conference in revenue without pointing out they have only 10 schools compared to the PAC12 with 12 schools and the other 3 conferences with 14 teams each.

3. This one drives me crazy....they never distinguish that the Big10, ACC and SEC (unsure about PAC12) amounts include Tier 3 rights revenue, but the Big12 schools receive Tier 3 rights revenue directly and are not included in conference revenue or payout per school. The Tier 3 rights revenue per school have been in the $4 - $8 Million range in past years. In regards to payout per school, if the Big12 included Tier 3 rights revenue, the schools would be similar to the SEC.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Pete talks about how he once considered playing football for the Tennessee Volunteers

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2021/0...hardin-valley/

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-foo...043900023.html

Sounds like the 12 team playoff is the current leader. Would include automatic bids, byes for the top 4 and opening round games on campuses.

14. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2021)

A lot of speculation that WVU is going to post a very high recruiting class for 2022 (compared to their normal recruiting) from people not associated with the program. Steve Wiltfong from 247 (aka The Oracle) just wrote an article and put in 5 crystal balls for 4 Star guys to WVU. It could be false speculation or kids could simply change their minds before announcing....but the noise is good right now.

https://247sports.com/college/west-v...all-166562372/
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    A lot of speculation that WVU is going to post a very high recruiting class for 2022 (compared to their normal recruiting) from people not associated with the program. Steve Wiltfong from 247 (aka The Oracle) just wrote an article and put in 5 crystal balls for 4 Star guys to WVU. It could be false speculation or kids could simply change their minds before announcing....but the noise is good right now.

https://247sports.com/college/west-v...all-166562372/
    Quickly looking at these players, they seem to be the type of players a WVU needs to recruit, and win. Most have "good" offers, but not to tier offers. It's the type of players that Dantonio recruited at MSU and led them to being a playoff team. Recruit them, get them into the program, develop them, and then in years 3 and 4 you have one heck of a nucleus.

I do wonder about a team like WVU who has a slew of quality recruits and the battle to hang onto the recruits if they have a great senior season. What happens if that Stokes kid blows up and Michigan offers? Or one of the FL kids gets a UF, GA, or Bama offer? I think this 2021 class may be the craziest one in a long time. Most of these kids had jacked up Jr seasons and there will be a rash to commit to secure a spot in a program, and if you blow up, will the big boys come calling?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Quickly looking at these players, they seem to be the type of players a WVU needs to recruit, and win. Most have "good" offers, but not to tier offers. It's the type of players that Dantonio recruited at MSU and led them to being a playoff team. Recruit them, get them into the program, develop them, and then in years 3 and 4 you have one heck of a nucleus.

I do wonder about a team like WVU who has a slew of quality recruits and the battle to hang onto the recruits if they have a great senior season. What happens if that Stokes kid blows up and Michigan offers? Or one of the FL kids gets a UF, GA, or Bama offer? I think this 2021 class may be the craziest one in a long time. Most of these kids had jacked up Jr seasons and there will be a rash to commit to secure a spot in a program, and if you blow up, will the big boys come calling?
    That is the life of a non-blue blood P5 program....there is always a risk of a blue blood or fringe blue blood making a run to get a kid to flip near December when they have a kid flip or get in trouble....or anything that creates a hole in their class. The key to this class will come with Nicco Marchiol's (4 Star QB that decommitted from FSU) announcement this Monday....as it seems like he is the kind of high level recruit that can/will get other recruits excited. Everyone thinks WVU is in the driver seat for him, but he is doing his final OV this weekend at his hometown school Arizona State. Most did not expect him to choose them before the bad news broke yesterday, but you never know.

WVU can and should be able to have Top 25 classes on a perennial basis in my opinion, but our recruiting nosedived under Dana. He basically pulled out of Florida and initially tried to recruit in the traditional Big12 region....and that did not work. RichRod proved WVU could get 4 Star kids from Florida and the SE to Morgantown....and WVU's facilities have came a long way since RichRod. Brown has focused on Florida, Georgia and our traditional border states.....but his staff has also been making inroads into places like Michigan, Indiana and the NE which has never really been a strong territory for us recruiting.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    That is the life of a non-blue blood P5 program....there is always a risk of a blue blood or fringe blue blood making a run to get a kid to flip near December when they have a kid flip or get in trouble....or anything that creates a hole in their class. The key to this class will come with Nicco Marchiol's (4 Star QB that decommitted from FSU) announcement this Monday....as it seems like he is the kind of high level recruit that can/will get other recruits excited. Everyone thinks WVU is in the driver seat for him, but he is doing his final OV this weekend at his hometown school Arizona State. Most did not expect him to choose them before the bad news broke yesterday, but you never know.

WVU can and should be able to have Top 25 classes on a perennial basis in my opinion, but our recruiting nosedived under Dana. He basically pulled out of Florida and initially tried to recruit in the traditional Big12 region....and that did not work. RichRod proved WVU could get 4 Star kids from Florida and the SE to Morgantown....and WVU's facilities have came a long way since RichRod. Brown has focused on Florida, Georgia and our traditional border states.....but his staff has also been making inroads into places like Michigan, Indiana and the NE which has never really been a strong territory for us recruiting.
    I'd dispute that he didn't/couldn't recruit to WVU. He didn't get to a full 75 scholarships until something like 2014, our qbs when he got here was Geno Smith, Geno Smith, Geno Smith because Stewart chased Brunetti and spent more time trying to open a "Samoan Pipeline" than truly recruiting. He built everything around winning with Will Greer and relying on 5th year transfers. Someone recruited and developed the likes of Karl Joseph, Kevin White, and Nick Kwiatkowski among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Jimmy Kimmel gets his own Bowl game:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...debut-december

Should he really be the first Bowl named after an actual person?

Turn Off Ads?