Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am hoping WVU, but I have no idea. I have seen predictions for WVU, Ohio State and even Marshall. Even saw suggestions it will be he is remaining @ Tennessee.

https://247sports.com/player/darnell-wright-46035563/
    sounds like the most credible people are claiming he is announcing he is staying at UT
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just the overall perception of the institutions name value and where it is perceived they belong in hierarchy. For example, if we came to an agreement to relegate some of the bad P5 teams to a G6 conference, and I recommended the University of Illinois....there would be a lot of pushback. Illinois has not been good at football on any consistent basis for a long time, but its brand significantly outweighs its actual quality. Nebraska still carries a huge brand, but has not had a quality product in years.....to a less degree similar to Maryland. If someone suggested the ACC should add Cincinnati and drop Syracuse to improve the quality of the football in the conference, few fans would think that is a good idea because Syracuse is where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Donavan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Art Monk, etc. played at and their rich history in football elevates their brand above anything they have put on the field in decades.
    Illinois has no brand in football anymore. Its a joke of a football program, and has been for over a decade. Their last relevance as a power was decades ago.

Nebraska is hanging on by a thread, but the further we are removed from the glory days, the further they slip from relevancy.

I don't think Syracuse moves the needle at all. What does Syracuse bring to the table.

Some teams that still have a "brand" name IMO would be Miami, FSU, Stanford, MSU, Iowa, etc. Teams that bring something to the table, teams that either have some flash, have been good in the recent past, have a fertile recruiting grounds, or sell out each and every game like Nebraska.

Illinois, Maryland, Syracuse, Georgia Tech of the schools you mentioned have no pull in the current version of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Illinois has no brand in football anymore. Its a joke of a football program, and has been for over a decade. Their last relevance as a power was decades ago.

Nebraska is hanging on by a thread, but the further we are removed from the glory days, the further they slip from relevancy.

I don't think Syracuse moves the needle at all. What does Syracuse bring to the table.

Some teams that still have a "brand" name IMO would be Miami, FSU, Stanford, MSU, Iowa, etc. Teams that bring something to the table, teams that either have some flash, have been good in the recent past, have a fertile recruiting grounds, or sell out each and every game like Nebraska.

Illinois, Maryland, Syracuse, Georgia Tech of the schools you mentioned have no pull in the current version of college football.
    So you are saying is the ACC was adding a school and the choices were Illinois, Maryland and Cincinnati, it would be a toss up based on brand/perception?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

So you are saying is the ACC was adding a school and the choices were Illinois, Maryland and Cincinnati, it would be a toss up based on brand/perception?
    Perception matters to a certain extent. If you are looking at those three teams, UC would be 3rd, but I don't think it's perception of the football programs that does that. Both Maryland and Illinois are the state school whereas UC is not. Also, the ACC would look to expand into a market, with the DC area topping both what UC and Illinois can bring.

Personally I think UC would be a better get than Illinois, but if Illinois can bring the Chicago market (which it probably can) then UC doesn't stand a chance.

Perception says UC is a much better football program than either of those two teams. But all the other factors are why UC would face an uphill battle joining a conference.

In the above hypothetical, there would be zero interest in the ACC to bring back Maryland.

Maybe even less than zero interest.

Continue.

Huff could be a great hire for Marshall....I would give them an A for the hire. I heard RichRod was interested and had some support with boosters, but Marshall just refused to go with another "WVU guy". I think RichRod could have been dangerous at Marshall in that conference. First, I think he would have woke up every morning with the goal of building a team that caused people in WV to say Marshall may be better than WVU....and second, I think he will go balls to the wall knowing it would likely be his last chance to rebuild his reputation. I get why they went with Huff, and do not blame them.....but I do think RichRod would have been very interesting there.
    He'll be gone within 3 seasons and Marshall will wonder if it was worth getting rid of Holliday. I think they end up regretting bowing to Governor Coal Baron.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I always thought it was shocking that Rich Rod left WVU to go to Michigan. Not that Michigan isn't a better job, which it is, but that he would leave his hometown school for greener pastures. Granted WVU was in the Big East at the time, but there was still a chance they could have won a national championship.

All that said, if WVU fans treat football like UK fans treat basketball, it's a dangerous job. With every program you have to look at what the realistic expectations are and balance that with the fans expectations. When you look at WVU, they had a shot at the national title once in 20 years, I think that is about right, every once in a while when the stars align, you can have a great season. By its not a program you would expect to be a perennial contender. Its not even a program I would say should be in the mix for the ACC Championship game every season.

If what you said was true up above, it makes sense that Dana left for Houston.
    Rod waited 1 year too long IMO. I think his offense and recruiting would have been a great fit at Bama. Big 10 (outside of Urban) is/was still 3 yards and a cloud of dust and he just couldn't get going. It also didn't help when he called Michigan "just another game".
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That league was consistently as good or better than the ACC. Low bar, sure, but it got a bad rap in that particular discussion. And the ACC continues to generally suck.
    Thank BSPN's money for keeping ACC relevant until Clemson got going.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Big 10 (outside of Urban) is/was still 3 yards and a cloud of dust and he just couldn't get going.
    This hasn't been true for like 25 years. Joe Tiller's offense at Purdue was called "basketball on grass". Northwestern was a pioneering spread team. I could go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Rod waited 1 year too long IMO. I think his offense and recruiting would have been a great fit at Bama. Big 10 (outside of Urban) is/was still 3 yards and a cloud of dust and he just couldn't get going. It also didn't help when he called Michigan "just another game".
    I briefly went back and looked and good lord OSU was headed in the wrong direction during Tressel's final years. The recruiting was pretty terrible for that program.

Anyway, I always thought Rich Rod's problem is he wanted to play with fast, but undersized players all over the field. I think that worked well in the Big East where the teams they were playing didn't have quite the players that that the other leagues had. He tried to implement that in the B1G, and you ran up against teams who were just as fast, but bigger.

IMO Rich Rod would have failed everywhere he went unless he recruited at a high level as well. Had he gone to Bama and recruited at a high level, he could have succeeded. But I don't know if that was his MO. Remember at the time he turned Bama down, UM was a far better job.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Just the overall perception of the institutions name value and where it is perceived they belong in hierarchy. For example, if we came to an agreement to relegate some of the bad P5 teams to a G6 conference, and I recommended the University of Illinois....there would be a lot of pushback. Illinois has not been good at football on any consistent basis for a long time, but its brand significantly outweighs its actual quality. Nebraska still carries a huge brand, but has not had a quality product in years.....to a less degree similar to Maryland. If someone suggested the ACC should add Cincinnati and drop Syracuse to improve the quality of the football in the conference, few fans would think that is a good idea because Syracuse is where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Donavan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Art Monk, etc. played at and their rich history in football elevates their brand above anything they have put on the field in decades.
    So, a team's history(ancient or otherwise) is part of the brand? Fair enough.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I briefly went back and looked and good lord OSU was headed in the wrong direction during Tressel's final years. The recruiting was pretty terrible for that program.
    Seems that the blue bloods hit that patch every so often. Most recover, some don't. I put Nebraska in the "won't recover" category.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Anyway, I always thought Rich Rod's problem is he wanted to play with fast, but undersized players all over the field. I think that worked well in the Big East where the teams they were playing didn't have quite the players that that the other leagues had. He tried to implement that in the B1G, and you ran up against teams who were just as fast, but bigger.
    Save for his first season in Ann Arbor, when he didn't have 'his' type of QB on the roster, the offense was just fine. The defense was the issue - for reasons that have been discussed over and over here.

Unless we are to believe that Brady Hoke was/is some coaching savant - Spoiler: He wasn't/isn't - the '11 breakout season with Denard Robinson at QB would have assuredly happened coaching change or not, as adkindo pointed out earlier in this thread. But nobody's going to change anyone's mind at this point.

Remember at the time he turned Bama down, UM was a far better job.
    A far better/stronger program than 'Bama at the time, yes.

The better job? No way. 'Bama simply hired dud after dud post Bear Bryant - Stallings, the notable exception - and promptly fell off the map. One caveat: IMHO, if not for the incident at the strip club, which cost Mike Price his job before coaching a game there, Price may well have been wildly successful there. At the time, no SEC team was running a one-back Pro-Set. And Franchione made a career-killing mistake by leaving 'Bama for A &M.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 01-26-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-26-2021),adkindo (01-26-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    This hasn't been true for like 25 years. Joe Tiller's offense at Purdue was called "basketball on grass". Northwestern was a pioneering spread team. I could go on...
    To borrow a phrase from RedTeamGo, That's a bingo!

While Tiller was the first B1G coach to be successful with a spread attack, the first to implement one full time was the late Jim Wacker at Minnesota '92-'96. It worked well if not for one lingering issue; Poor defenses year after year.

The late Hayden Fry at Iowa, as well as Mike White at Illinois, featured innovative, pass-happy attacks. So did the late Sam Wyche at IU, even though the team struggled in his one-and-only year in Bloomington, but he was building something.

Heck, even Joe Paterno loosened the reins during his team's undefeated '94 season with Kerry Collins at QB and Ki-Jana Carter at RB, by going up top more often than not.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So, a team's history(ancient or otherwise) is part of the brand? Fair enough.
    sure it matters....Indiana could miss the next 10 NCAA tournaments and it will still be viewed as a major basketball school. It may not be on the top tier level with schools like Duke, UK, Kansas, etc. because it has been a while since they were an annual threat......but their brand is going to be superior to Purdue can have an iconic era of elite level success. There is just too much history that may not be recent but is still in the modern era that will have an impact on it's perception. There is a limit....as in the University of San Francisco is no longer viewed as a national basketball power because their success was confined to a limited period and a lot of time has passed.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-26-2021)

Turn Off Ads?