Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm still mad that Louisville was stupid enough to hurt Adam Bednarik.
    it is interesting....I have heard a lot of WVU fans claim that if it happened earlier in the season, WVU may have ended up undefeated that season and in the national championship game. The problem is they would not have been because Texas and USC were also undefeated that year. It might have sucked more to be undefeated and still not get into the national championship game like we did in 1993.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks like Danny White might be bringing Josh Heupel with him to Rocky Top:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...3ea-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like Danny White might be bringing Josh Heupel with him to Rocky Top:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...3ea-story.html
    Sucks for UCF....will be good for Tennessee if they get a good DC and give him a couple years. I am guessing there is some people in that locker room that will need to move on, and it will take time to rebuild the culture. He is fortunate that he has White as his AD who will give him time.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Congrats to Josh Heupel on doing a terrible job at UCF and failing upwards.

Did he? Fail upwards I mean.

He doubled his salary, so I would say he did.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Noel Devine was the highest rated player is what you mean? Devine clearly did not have the career of White or Slaton. At that time, RichRod had the secret formula, and I do not think the recruiting rankings can tell that story. He recruited to his system. Speed, speed, and more speed. Lineman were often small and quicker which is not going to rank well. RB's needed twitch and break away speed. Receivers were more quick than fast. It was all about spreading them out, and carving them up. Even the defense was built different with the 3-3 stack which often sought non-traditional players in those roles. You and I know WVU is never going to have Top 10 classes unless they won a couple national titles in a row. That is not about the coach...as much as it is about the programs stature. I personally think it is far more questionable if some of the blue blood coaches could come to WVU and replicate RichRod's success than it is if RichRod could have success at a Blue Blood. I think if Michigan gave a RichRod a legitimate chance to get that thing going, the dynamics in the Big10 "could/may" be very different today.

It is interesting, that era of RichRod & Bill Stewart did more for WVU's brand than the 1988 & 1993 undefeated teams....but it was not all about the winning. It was the style and.....the TV slots. If you recall, at that time every BCS/G5 team was not aired on national television like they basically are now. They had the College Ticket PPV thing....but maybe 2-3 games from each conference actually got on ESPN or a network. So the Big East began putting WVU on a lot of Thursday night games, and they were often big games like Miami and Va. Tech early on....then later Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. I think even the Rutgers game was a Thursday night game when they were actually good with Ray Rice and that group. It is easy to pack a stadium on a Thursday night in the school year, so that played well on television. I have met so many people from around the country over the last decade that comment to me about those WVU teams, and it was often because they were on the only live sports on television on Thursday. Still today, multiple recruits from other regions every year will mention them or their older brother/father being big fans of Pat White, Steve Slaton, Devine.....or the huge one is always Tavon Austin back in the day. I am not sure they get that exposure without the Thursday night showcases.
    Thursday night football did wonders for the Big East. Back when Miami was the U, I remember watching a game were UL gave them a run for their money, can't recall if they won or not. But you could put those games on and people would watch.

I think where you are wrong is on recruiting. Rich Rod may have prefered smaller quicker lineman, but the fallacy in that argument is the more highly rated players are bigger, stronger, and just as fast. We are talking about different decades, but to assume that Wyatt Davis or Paris Johnson Jr. aren't as fast because they are bigger is a poor argument.

In the Tressel heyday OSU has speed on the outside. They had skill position speed, but they were slow(ish) elsewhere. What changed when Urban got there is he recruited speed across the field. It wasn't just the WR's DB's and RB's who could run, it was everywhere. Its why its so shocking Tuf Borland played as much as he did, but I digress. The one program who has success with an innovative system using lesser recruits was Oregon, and even that had flaws when they ran into better competition. I do find it ironic that now Oregon recruits like every other big time power team in the country, its not a gimmick anymore.

He really did not do a poor job. The defense failed them this past season, but if you actually look into the numbers, Heupel did a good job at maintaining UCF's high level of play.

Sometimes the ball just does not bounce your way.....those 3 regular season losses in 2019 were by a total of 7 points....and the 3 regular season losses in 2020 were by a total of 12 points. The narrative of the decline everyone is reporting is a simplistic view.

2018 - Average PPG - 43.23 | Average PPG Allowed - 22.69 (lost one game, the Bowl game against LSU with 3rd String QB) (#5 Offense in Country)
    2019 - Average PPG - 43.38 | Average PPG Allowed - 23.00 (lost 3 regular season games by a total of 7 points with True Freshman QB) (#2 Offense in Country)
    2020 - Average PPG - 42.20 | Average PPG Allowed - 33.20 (lost 3 regular season games by a total of 12 points and the defense declined) (#2 Offense in Country)

If you have followed the team, the difference is clear. UCF has lost a lot of talent in recent years to the Draft, but they have added a lot also as it remains a hot spot for transfers. The difference between Frost's final undefeated season as well as Heupel's first undefeated regular season and the two seasons that followed is no McKenzie Milton. Milton was under center in those 23 straight wins, and he was not under center for the 7 losses over the last 2 seasons. Milton was special....in a Pat White kind of way. I can't show you stats because Dillon Gabriel is just as talented, but Gabriel simply is not Milton. Everyone in that locker room....everyone in that stadium knew that Milton would always find a way to win. Milton was 8th in Heisman voting as a Sophomore and 6th as a Junior....the math is not hard. If Milton truly is healthy, he will do wonders for the FSU program this year.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think where you are wrong is on recruiting. Rich Rod may have prefered smaller quicker lineman, but the fallacy in that argument is the more highly rated players are bigger, stronger, and just as fast. We are talking about different decades, but to assume that Wyatt Davis or Paris Johnson Jr. aren't as fast because they are bigger is a poor argument.
    Then how did they do it? How did they go into the Georgia Dome and beat SEC Champion Georgia in their backyard....a Georgia team that was coming off a 20 point win over #3 LSU in the SEC Championship game? How did they go to Arizona and beat Big12 Champion Oklahoma by 20 points....an Oklahoma team that was coming off a 21 point win over #1 Missouri in the Big12 Championship Game? How do you reconcile them beating the best team in the SEC and the best team in the Big12, but doubting they could contend in any conference?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Then how did they do it? How did they go into the Georgia Dome and beat SEC Champion Georgia in their backyard....a Georgia team that was coming off a 20 point win over #3 LSU in the SEC Championship game? How did they go to Arizona and beat Big12 Champion Oklahoma by 20 points....an Oklahoma team that was coming off a 21 point win over #1 Missouri in the Big12 Championship Game? How do you reconcile them beating the best team in the SEC and the best team in the Big12, but doubting they could contend in any conference?
    I don't put a lot of stock in bowl games unless they were BCS games or now Playoff games. A team who is happy to be there has a bigger advantage than a team who sees the game as a consolation prize.

You can point to a bowl record all you want, but after the start of the BCS Championship game, we have seen a gradual decline towards glorified exhibitions of bowl games.

I don't put a lot of stock in bowl games unless they were BCS games or now Playoff games. A team who is happy to be there has a bigger advantage than a team who sees the game as a consolation prize.

You can point to a bowl record all you want, but after the start of the BCS Championship game, we have seen a gradual decline towards glorified exhibitions of bowl games.
    I agree with this while also recognizing it was less of a phenomenon back then. But another factor is that holding up thru a conference schedule week-to-week with an undersized team is vastly different than performing at a high level in a dome after a month off...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree with this while also recognizing it was less of a phenomenon back then. But another factor is that holding up thru a conference schedule week-to-week with an undersized team is vastly different than performing at a high level in a dome after a month off...
    It wasn't to the point it is now, players aren't option out of bowl games. But I do think motivation plays a large role in these games.

The week to week schedule in a power conference does take a toll on undersized teams. You give me one game with a dynamic undersized QB and you have a great chance to win that game. You give me a week to week grind where those hits start to mount up, that is a big difference.

Sucks for UCF....will be good for Tennessee if they get a good DC and give him a couple years. I am guessing there is some people in that locker room that will need to move on, and it will take time to rebuild the culture. He is fortunate that he has White as his AD who will give him time.
    Fans hate the hire but to be honest I don’t know if Tennessee could have done better. They are also paying Kevin Steele a million dollars for two weeks of doing nothing.

Former players are calling Tennessee out for not hiring Tee Martin but forget he was part of a coaching staff that handed out McDonalds bags of cash to recruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Fans hate the hire but to be honest I don’t know if Tennessee could have done better. They are also paying Kevin Steele a million dollars for two weeks of doing nothing.

Former players are calling Tennessee out for not hiring Tee Martin but forget he was part of a coaching staff that handed out McDonalds bags of cash to recruits.
    They were never going to be happy with any realistic option. I do not even think Heupel takes the job if not for White being AD. Some Vols fans still think Gruden was an option.....not sure you can reason with those folks.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-28-2021),WVRed (01-28-2021)

They were BCS games....and both teams had to pull off upsets to get there, so I am not buying the theory they were not excited to be there. If any team would be let down, it would be the team that thought they were going to the National Championship game before blowing their final game against a crappy Pitt team. We are just not going to agree as it is getting into arguing with a road sign territory.
    Last edited by adkindo; 01-28-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?