Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Oklahoma lost to Kansas State the last two years. They're not exactly unbeatable.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    When one team in the SEC has 14 conference championships compared to the next team having three then we can talk. Alabama has 28 while Georgia and Tennessee are tied for second most at 13 but keep in mind the SEC has been in existence longer than the Big 12.

It’s pretty telling though that you have to dig back 20 years ago. The game has changed significantly since then.
    Talk about? I am missing the point of your statement in regards to the SEC? It is telling I went back 20 years? You are the one that brought up Miami and Va. Tech....and that is when they were in the Big East. It was you that compared them to Oklahoma and Texas....which is how these schools got brought up in the conversation. You arrived in the conversation with the claim that the odds were that WVU would never be able to field a playoff team, and I think that is silly. WVU was considered a strong playoff contender going into Grier's Senior season and that was 3 seasons ago. It was only 5 seasons ago that the two smallest schools in the conference, Baylor and TCU, were on the brink of playoff birth. Again, I am not suggesting that WVU will one day rule the Big12, but I also do not believe anyone would be shocked if WVU made the playoffs over the next 5 years...10 years.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Talk about? I am missing the point of your statement in regards to the SEC? It is telling I went back 20 years? You are the one that brought up Miami and Va. Tech....and that is when they were in the Big East. It was you that compared them to Oklahoma and Texas....which is how these schools got brought up in the conversation. You arrived in the conversation with the claim that the odds were that WVU would never be able to field a playoff team, and I think that is silly. WVU was considered a strong playoff contender going into Grier's Senior season and that was 3 seasons ago. It was only 5 seasons ago that the two smallest schools in the conference, Baylor and TCU, were on the brink of playoff birth. Again, I am not suggesting that WVU will one day rule the Big12, but I also do not believe anyone would be shocked if WVU made the playoffs over the next 5 years...10 years.
    Oklahoma has won the Big 12 14 times and the next closest was Texas at 3. Sorry for the confusion.

I’m not saying that they can’t catch lightning in a bottle and do it (obviously Baylor and TCU did) but it’s pretty much a given that any game is going through Oklahoma who WVU hasn’t beaten since they were in the Big East in the Fiesta Bowl.

We can agree to disagree but I don’t think the best of the Big East could match the Oklahoma teams now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    We can agree to disagree but I don’t think the best of the Big East could match the Oklahoma teams now.
    You truly do not think the 2001 Miami Dorsey team could match recent Oklahoma teams? Their RB room included Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Jarrett Payton....that is just unreal talent in one position room. Andre Johnson lined up @ WR....and Jeremy Shockey was the TE backed up by Kellen Winslow. Jerome McDougle and Bryant McKinnie was on the OLine. On defense they had William Joseph, Andrew Williams and Vince Wilfork on the DLine....Jonathan Vilma @ LB and Phillip Buchanon, Ed Reed and Antrel Rolle in the secondary. The roster had 11 NFL 1st Round picks. It may be the greatest collection of talent ever assembled on a single college football team. Some of its wins that season include....

49 - 27 @ #14 Florida State
    33 - 7 @ Penn State
    59 - 0 vs. #14 Syracuse
    65 - 7 vs. #12 Washington
    37 - 14 vs. #4 Nebraska

The only close game Miami played that season was a 26-24 win over #14 Virginia Tech. The 2001 Miami team could play with any team from any conference in any era.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-22-2021),Revering4Blue (01-21-2021)

You truly do not think the 2001 Miami Dorsey team could match recent Oklahoma teams? Their RB room included Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Jarrett Payton....that is just unreal talent in one position room. Andre Johnson lined up @ WR....and Jeremy Shockey was the TE backed up by Kellen Winslow. Jerome McDougle and Bryant McKinnie was on the OLine. On defense they had William Joseph, Andrew Williams and Vince Wilfork on the DLine....Jonathan Vilma @ LB and Phillip Buchanon, Ed Reed and Antrel Rolle in the secondary. The roster had 11 NFL 1st Round picks. It may be the greatest collection of talent ever assembled on a single college football team. Some of its wins that season include....

49 - 27 @ #14 Florida State
    33 - 7 @ Penn State
    59 - 0 vs. #14 Syracuse
    65 - 7 vs. #12 Washington
    37 - 14 vs. #4 Nebraska

The only close game Miami played that season was a 26-24 win over #14 Virginia Tech. The 2001 Miami team could play with any team from any conference in any era.
    The glory days of the Big East were pretty good. Granted it was carried mostly by Miami, but Va Tech was pretty good in that period and BC was nothing to sneeze at. When the ACC came in and raided the Big East, that pretty much ended that conference as a power.

I always thought the UC, WVU, UL Big East was a step below the other power conferences. I thought UC has a chance playing an ok Va Tech in the Orange Bowl, but that games wasn't particularly close. Even to add to that, UC coming off the best season in program history, was thought to be a few seconds away from playing for the title, was boatraced by Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Those seasons were fun to watch UC play in the Big East, but it always felt to me like the conference was step below.

I do believe that when Miami and Va Tech to a lesser extent left, they lost their national power. They lost that team that was going to be the face of the league. It would be similar to what would happen if OSU and PSU and Michigan left the B1G. You may have some good teams, but you lost your powers.

FWIW, OSU in 2002 may have broken the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I always thought the UC, WVU, UL Big East was a step below the other power conferences.
    That league was consistently as good or better than the ACC. Low bar, sure, but it got a bad rap in that particular discussion. And the ACC continues to generally suck.

The enormity of WV's win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season cannot be overestimated for the cause of the legitimacy of that league.

Just went back through it, and Big East/American teams went 6-3 in BCS bowl games in that era. It was just UC dragging the league down in that respect!
    Last edited by Boston Red; 01-22-2021 at 11:47 AM.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-22-2021),Revering4Blue (01-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That league was consistently as good or better than the ACC. Low bar, sure, but it got a bad rap in that particular discussion. And the ACC continues to generally suck.

The enormity of WV's win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season cannot be overestimated for the cause of the legitimacy of that league.
    The ACC has been a mess for about two decades now. That said, the still manage to have one national championship caliber team. It was FSU at the start of the playoff era and now Clemson. But once you get past that one team, the rest of the league is pretty bad.

Always thought the Big East was a good league that just didn't have the team that could win it all. It would have been interesting to see the Rich Rod WVU team play OSU had they not lost to Pitt. It was a down year for college football, I don't think WVU would have won, but that OSU team was good, not great, and had some flaws. That was kind of the beginning of the Jim Tressel teams that were content on winning the B1G and not building a national contender.

I'm still heartbroken than 2006 Louisville blew the 25-7 lead at Rutgers and missed their shot at the Ohio State team that Florida killed in the title game.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The ACC has been a mess for about two decades now. That said, the still manage to have one national championship caliber team. It was FSU at the start of the playoff era and now Clemson. But once you get past that one team, the rest of the league is pretty bad.
    I have always that the ACC was bad. That be from '73 on...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post

Just went back through it, and Big East/American teams went 6-3 in BCS bowl games in that era. It was just UC dragging the league down in that respect!
    It was just low on "brands"....even today some fan conflate quality with "brands". The ACC has schools like Georgia Tech who won a National Championship in 1990 and still live a little off that brand, but they would not finish in the top half of the AAC.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It was just low on "brands"....even today some fan conflate quality with "brands". The ACC has schools like Georgia Tech who won a National Championship in 1990 and still live a little off that brand, but they would not finish in the top half of the AAC.
    The ACC has had a national champion contender each season since I can remember. I think that is what lifts the league up more than anything else. Its pretty much a hollow conference, one top team and the rest blah, but they had that one power team.

The Big East didn't have any brands when Miami and Va Tech left, but I don't think I would consider Ga Tech a brand. There just weren't any blue blood powers in the league. There weren't teams who could move the needle of force a national discussion.

The ACC has had a national champion contender each season since I can remember. I think that is what lifts the league up more than anything else. Its pretty much a hollow conference, one top team and the rest blah, but they had that one power team.

The Big East didn't have any brands when Miami and Va Tech left, but I don't think I would consider Ga Tech a brand. There just weren't any blue blood powers in the league. There weren't teams who could move the needle of force a national discussion.
    Everyone has a brand, and my point was not that Georgia Tech has a big brand, but they have a national championship in the last 30ish years and are a long time member of a P5 conference.....but even though they have not been good at football for a while, most fans of teams in P5 conferences would rather add Georgia Tech over Cincinnati. Brands matter in college football, and if anyone would recognize that I would think it is a fan of a Big10 team. The Big 10 usually goes much deeper in brands than it does quality.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Everyone has a brand, and my point was not that Georgia Tech has a big brand, but they have a national championship in the last 30ish years and are a long time member of a P5 conference.....but even though they have not been good at football for a while, most fans of teams in P5 conferences would rather add Georgia Tech over Cincinnati. Brands matter in college football, and if anyone would recognize that I would think it is a fan of a Big10 team. The Big 10 usually goes much deeper in brands than it does quality.
    What exactly is your definition of a "brand?"

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    What exactly is your definition of a "brand?"
    Just the overall perception of the institutions name value and where it is perceived they belong in hierarchy. For example, if we came to an agreement to relegate some of the bad P5 teams to a G6 conference, and I recommended the University of Illinois....there would be a lot of pushback. Illinois has not been good at football on any consistent basis for a long time, but its brand significantly outweighs its actual quality. Nebraska still carries a huge brand, but has not had a quality product in years.....to a less degree similar to Maryland. If someone suggested the ACC should add Cincinnati and drop Syracuse to improve the quality of the football in the conference, few fans would think that is a good idea because Syracuse is where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Donavan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Art Monk, etc. played at and their rich history in football elevates their brand above anything they have put on the field in decades.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2021)

Darnell Wright
    @darnell_5232

Follow @304wave on Instagram if you want to know where I'll be playing this year . posting tomorrow

7:47 PM · Jan 24, 2021
    I am hoping WVU, but I have no idea. I have seen predictions for WVU, Ohio State and even Marshall. Even saw suggestions it will be he is remaining @ Tennessee.

https://247sports.com/player/darnell-wright-46035563/
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?