Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I get the arguments and I’m on the fence about it, but if one loss Alabama, OSU, or Georgia gets in over UC, it will be a real shame. And a compelling reason to expand the playoffs.
    I see your point. The flip side is convincing too.

The shame would be with the UC AD for scheduling such cupcakes.

If Alabama or Georgia played UC 10 times, they'd beat them 9 of those 10, IMO.

I'm a Cat fan, so I will never have a dog in this particular fight. I'm torn-- so the best teams belong in the Final Four or is it the season that matters most?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Assuming these teams win out I think you can pencil in three playoff spots.

Bama/UGA
    OSU/Iowa
    OU

Looking at that....I don't think OU will win out and I don't see another big 12, ACC or PAC-10 team that's likely to finish stronger than UC.
    If I'm UC I would be pulling for Iowa and UGA. Hard to think an undefeated Bearcat squad is going to get over-ranked by a two loss team even if it's OSU or Bama.

At this point it's possible that UC gets in as the 3 seed.

I guess UC doesn't have to worry about BYU stealing their thunder.
    Of course it's still October and a lot can happen between here and there.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

4. Likes:

757690 (10-10-2021),Revering4Blue (10-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    If I'm UC I would be pulling for Iowa and UGA. Hard to think an undefeated Bearcat squad is going to get over-ranked by a two loss team even if it's OSU or Bama.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I see your point. The flip side is convincing too.

If Alabama or Georgia played UC 10 times, they'd beat them 9 of those 10, IMO.

I'm a Cat fan, so I will never have a dog in this particular fight. I'm torn-- so the best teams belong in the Final Four or is it the season that matters most?
    The Bearcats have four non-conference games to schedule and they went on the road to a mid-level B10 team and on the road against a team that made the playoffs a year ago. Of course it'a not on par with an SEC schedule, but hardly a cupcake schedule.

I'm just rooting for new teams. If it's Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, and UGA again, I doubt I'll tune in.
    Last edited by Reds Freak; 10-10-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The Bearcats have four non-conference games to schedule and they went on the road to a mid-level B10 team and on the road against a team that made the playoffs a year ago. Of course it'a not on par with an SEC schedule, but hardly a cupcake schedule.
    Sure, there's some bad luck involved. But an AD who's got his eye on the national championship would have scheduled a monster pre-conference slate to beef up a conference schedule of also-rans and cupcakes that severely weaken any chance at getting there. Final Four teams (with the possible exception of Clemson) tend to beat other really good (or even great) teams on their way to the championship.

Assuming Bama and OSU win out, an unbeaten Cincinnati lacks that signature win that makes them a shoo-in. (And believe me, I share your boredom with the status quo. I'm rooting for Georgia to run the slate just to not have Bama in the picture at all. Well, that's not true. I'm rooting for Kentucky first, then UGA-- when they demolish UK this weekend.) I think they'll get in, but those computer rankings (and the respective SoS) are big-time important.

Sure, there's some bad luck involved. But an AD who's got his eye on the national championship would have scheduled a monster pre-conference slate to beef up a conference schedule of also-rans and cupcakes that severely weaken any chance at getting there. Final Four teams (with the possible exception of Clemson) tend to beat other really good (or even great) teams on their way to the championship.

Assuming Bama and OSU win out, an unbeaten Cincinnati lacks that signature win that makes them a shoo-in. (And believe me, I share your boredom with the status quo. I'm rooting for Georgia to run the slate just to not have Bama in the picture at all. Well, that's not true. I'm rooting for Kentucky first, then UGA-- when they demolish UK this weekend.) I think they'll get in, but those computer rankings (and the respective SoS) are big-time important.
    They did schedule a monster… ND on the road is a monster OOC opponent. UC’s issue is the AAC is a dumpster fire this year, but that’s not their fault, and it’s why they have been trying to bolt to a P5 conference for a decade.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They did schedule a monster… ND on the road is a monster OOC opponent. UC’s issue is the AAC is a dumpster fire this year, but that’s not their fault, and it’s why they have been trying to bolt to a P5 conference for a decade.
    That's why I agreed that some of this is just bad luck.

But if he wanted to be considered for a national championship spot, he should have added a second monster too.

As far as I can tell, only Clemson has been able to parlay one good victory into a top four spot. And they have the ACC behind them.

Put yourself in the shoes of UC's AD. Like virtually every school out there, UC needs to have at least six home games to pay the bills. Four of those come from within the conference, leaving four non-conference openings. One of those will be Miami every year, so that leaves three games to schedule.

Which P5 AD do you call who will answer the phone, agree to travel to Nippert, and lose?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2021),wolfboy (10-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Put yourself in the shoes of UC's AD. Like virtually every school out there, UC needs to have at least six home games to pay the bills. Four of those come from within the conference. There are four non-conference games, one of which will be Miami, so that leaves three openings. Which P5 AD takes that phone call and agrees to travel to Nippert and lose?
    Also, most of the marquee games are scheduled many years in advance. It's not like an AD can say in the offseason 'I think we'll be pretty good this year, so let's get Notre Dame on the schedule'.

13. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2021),IslandRed (10-11-2021),Revering4Blue (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Also, most of the marquee games are scheduled many years in advance. It's not like an AD can say in the offseason 'I think we'll be pretty good this year, so let's get Notre Dame on the schedule'.
    And it's not like those games are all that easy to get on the calendar if you're the Bearcats. People assume it's like going to the grocery store and picking up some milk and it's not.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-10-2021),Chip R (10-12-2021),Revering4Blue (10-11-2021)

That's why I agreed that some of this is just bad luck.

But if he wanted to be considered for a national championship spot, he should have added a second monster too.

As far as I can tell, only Clemson has been able to parlay one good victory into a top four spot. And they have the ACC behind them.
    I don’t think you get how college football scheduling works. Don’t take that as an insult, it’s ridiculous and complicated. I’m not sure anyone really gets how it works.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2021)

The other issue for UC is that I don’t think there are a lot of power teams that want to schedule them. I think Arkansas is their biggest future opponent. Notre Dame sure as hell isn’t going to play them again. Hopefully the Big 12 schedule will help.

I think OSU has home and home games with Notre Dame, Texas, and Alabama starting next year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The other issue for UC is that I don’t think there are a lot of power teams that want to schedule them. I think Arkansas is their biggest future opponent. Notre Dame sure as hell isn’t going to play them again. Hopefully the Big 12 schedule will help.
    And that game is in Fayetteville with no return trip. Arkansas never agrees to it otherwise.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Why is the UC/MiamiO even still a thing? not trying to be snarky but they seems like a series that should have ended 5 years ago.
    Go Gators!

UC probably could get App State to visit instead of Murray State, though. May not sound like a big difference, but it would be huge with the computers.

But really, at the end of the day UC has done about as much as they can with what they can control. They definitely still need a little help to get in, but they're in as good a shape as any non P5 team has ever been. I'm with the person above, though, in just looking for new blood. (Well, also I have $10 on UC at 80-1 to win the national championship, but I'm still not putting much stock in that one; even if they DO make the playoffs).

Turn Off Ads?