Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The conference championship game will make it a better schedule, sure. But it's still a weak schedule where Iowa only have to get up twice instead of every week. Isn't that the argument against UC?

We're drawing arbitrary lines to determine who is worthy, and somehow that line keeps getting drawn right above UC. Weird how that works.
    I didn’t say that, just saying Iowa’s schedule and UC’s schedule are not equal
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You can try as hard as you want but if you aren’t a Power 5 school you have an uphill climb to make the playoff, even if you go undefeated. Despite a few tough games on UC’s schedule they do not have the grueling week in and out schedule that schools in the top conferences have. It’s not fair but it’s the nature of the beast.

I’m glad UC is stepping up to the Big 12.

I’m glad to revisit this at the end of the season and compare SOS between UC and other playoff contenders. Though I suspect UC’s SOS will be shockingly low in comparison.
    I know it’s better than the American but I’m not 100% sold on the long term viability of the Big 12 post Texas-Oklahoma. Especially in comparison to the Alliance the SEC.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Kentucky the "football school" is pretty cool this year. Stoops has done a really good job there.
    I’m enjoying it because I think Stoops cashes in after this season. Only question is where after the dominos start to fall.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m enjoying it because I think Stoops cashes in after this season. Only question is where after the dominos start to fall.
    Miami?
    Go Gators!

Florida State?

Wisconsin?
    Go Gators!

I know it’s better than the American but I’m not 100% sold on the long term viability of the Big 12 post Texas-Oklahoma. Especially in comparison to the Alliance the SEC.
    I agree - though it’s their best move at the moment so it gets my thumbs up.

The conference championship game will make it a better schedule, sure. But it's still a weak schedule where Iowa only have to get up twice instead of every week. Isn't that the argument against UC?

We're drawing arbitrary lines to determine who is worthy, and somehow that line keeps getting drawn right above UC. Weird how that works.
    I’ll gladly wait till the end of the season and see how SOS stacks up for these 2 teams. I think you’ll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ll gladly wait till the end of the season and see how SOS stacks up for these 2 teams. I think you’ll be surprised.
    You're welcome to shove my nose in it if and when the time comes.

I'd say much rides on how long Penn State's starting quarterback will be out.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-11-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

You're welcome to shove my nose in it if and when the time comes.
    It’s really not that. I just don’t think it’s “an arbitrary line will happen to be drawn right above UC.”

It will be pretty glaring I imagine.

Iowa State has been disappointing but will still look signifigantly better than Indiana, I suspect, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Iowa State has been disappointing but will still look signifigantly better than Indiana, I suspect, too.
    It doesn't help that Iowa walloped IU 34 - 6, while UC beat them 38 - 24.

The Bearcats needed 15 4th quarter points to win, while Iowa basically called off the dogs at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It doesn't help that Iowa walloped IU 34 - 6, while UC beat them 38 - 24.
    Fair point, but where those games were played cannot be dropped from the comparison.

Anyways, to bring this back to my original grievance, no matter what UC does this year, the college football world is going to look for any reason to deny them the opportunity to be in the playoffs. I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be subject to scrutiny. I am suggesting that no other contending team is subject to the same level of scrutiny for worthiness.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-11-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

15. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2021)

I don't think the score comparison matters too much. UC played like complete garbage for a half and won by 14 on the road. That's what good teams manage to do. But IU is not going to help like it looked likey they might when looking at the schedule in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Florida State?
    He turned down Free Shoes University when Norvell took it. Could happen but my guess is the Big 10.

Michigan if Harbaugh stumbles down the stretch.

Penn State if Franklin leaves.

If he did leave Marrow would likely join him and the Ohio pipeline would likely follow to either of those places.

Turn Off Ads?