Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Lots?? LOL
    Yep. Time will tell

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not just Iowa. Mich St didn't look like a top ten team today either. Lots of Big Ten teams overrated
    For whatever reason, Brohm/Purdue have Iowa's number. As far as Sparty, they just plain looked horrible. Fortunately for them IU looked even worse offensively.

I'm guessing the top four are now:

1. Georgia
    Clearly the belle of the ball. That defense is top-notch, and the offense still has some massive upside. Best team in the country right now-- and it's not close. Whether they stay that way...

2. Cincinnati
    Helped by Iowa's loss for now, they have to win out to be in the picture.

3. Oklahoma
    Still unbeaten, still outscoring opponents, still worried about its defense. Upside play here too, despite would-be struggles.

4. Alabama
    I really wanted to put Ohio State here. Really tough call right now, but if both win out, it's Alabama's, largely because of the UGA game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm guessing the top four are now:

1. Georgia
    Clearly the belle of the ball. That defense is top-notch, and the offense still has some massive upside. Best team in the country right now-- and it's not close. Whether they stay that way...

2. Cincinnati
    Helped by Iowa's loss for now, they have to win out to be in the picture.

3. Oklahoma
    Still unbeaten, still outscoring opponents, still worried about its defense. Upside play here too, despite would-be struggles.

4. Alabama
    I really wanted to put Ohio State here. Really tough call right now, but if both win out, it's Alabama's, largely because of the UGA game.
    I think by the end of the year the loss against Oregon at home will be worse than losing to A&M on the road.

Bama just needs to stay with one loss and I don’t think that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Coach O is out in Baton Rogue effective end of season.

I know they’ll aim bigger but I’d go with Billy Napier.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Tough business. LSU hasn't won a national championship in two whole seasons.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-18-2021),Assembly Hall (10-17-2021),Revering4Blue (10-17-2021),Sea Ray (10-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think by the end of the year the loss against Oregon at home will be worse than losing to A&M on the road.

Bama just needs to stay with one loss and I don’t think that happens.
    I think if both Bama and OSU win out then the competition for the #4 slot is between a 1 loss big 10 team and a 1 loss SEC runner up Georgia and the committee puts in the big 10 champ.

But lots has to happen between here and there. If I'm a UC fan, I'm happy today. All they have to do is win out and they have a slot locked up.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    For whatever reason, Brohm/Purdue have Iowa's number. As far as Sparty, they just plain looked horrible. Fortunately for them IU looked even worse offensively.
    Hence my point: MSU is not a top ten team. They'll be exposed eventually

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I think if both Bama and OSU win out then the competition for the #4 slot is between a 1 loss big 10 team and a 1 loss SEC runner up Georgia and the committee puts in the big 10 champ.

But lots has to happen between here and there. If I'm a UC fan, I'm happy today. All they have to do is win out and they have a slot locked up.
    What if Bama beats Georgia in the SEC title game?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    What if Bama beats Georgia in the SEC title game?
    That's what my post was about. Bama has to beat Georgia in the SEC title game to win out. "I think if both Bama and OSU win out then the competition for the #4 slot is between a 1 loss big 10 team and a 1 loss SEC runner up Georgia and the committee puts in the big 10 champ."

If Georgia beats Bama and OSU wins out then you're comparing a 2 loss SEC runner up to a 1 loss Big 10 champ and while Bama might actually be the better team, there's no way they would get the nod into the 4 slot.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Not if Bama beats previously unbeaten Georgia.

OSU has to hope one of the following happens:

1. Cincinnati loses. (Best bet: SMU?)
    2. UGA loses to Florida or Tennessee, then also loses the SEC Championship.
    3. Alabama loses one of its next five games. (Best bet: the Iron Bowl?)
    4. Alabama loses the SEC Championship to Georgia.

That's what my post was about. Bama has to beat Georgia in the SEC title game to win out. "I think if both Bama and OSU win out then the competition for the #4 slot is between a 1 loss big 10 team and a 1 loss SEC runner up Georgia and the committee puts in the big 10 champ."

If Georgia beats Bama and OSU wins out then you're comparing a 2 loss SEC runner up to a 1 loss Big 10 champ and while Bama might actually be the better team, there's no way they would get the nod into the 4 slot.
    If Georgia loses a close one to Alabama, they'll get the nod over a one loss team who lost to Oregon

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Georgia loses a close one to Alabama, they'll get the nod over a one loss team who lost to Oregon
    As I wrote...."lots has to happen between here and there."

I know I am not going out of a limb.....but I think the 4 playoff teams will come from the Top 5 (maybe 6) currently in the AP Poll.

1 Georgia
    2 Cincinnati
    3 Oklahoma
    4 Alabama
    5 Ohio State
    6 Michigan

I also think the Top 3 are very likely to get in.
    - I think Oklahoma (with Williams) will roll to an undefeated season which will make them a lock.
    - I think Georgia is likely in even with a loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship game....but do not see any other losses.
    - Cincinnati is mentally locked in and not going to stumble. The committee will have no choice but to include them....and I think they deserve it.
    - Alabama will need to go undefeated the rest of the way and beat UGA in the SEC Championship game.
    - Ohio State will need one of the 4 previous things mentioned to not happen, and win out....same for Michigan (but I do not think Michigan is on the same level as the other programs). I think the most likely path for Ohio State is to win out, and for UGA to beat 'Bama in the SEC Championship game.

I like Cincy, but still would have doubts they could win 2 games for a National Championship.....but the other 3 would be a coin toss in my mind. As good as Georgia has been, would not be surprised if Oklahoma and Ohio State are the two best teams in the country by the end of the season.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I was more impressed by UK in that loss than any of their wins this season. In the end, they do not have the QB or depth to beat an elite team like Georgia, but they proved for over half of the game, their #1's, scheme and defense can pretty much play with anyone in the country. For them to get to the next level, which I doubted much more before this season, they will have to be able to continue to build depth and be able to add a few truly elite offensive weapons (QB, WR's, etc.) like the Alabama's, Georgia's and sometimes other SEC teams seem to have every year. I think Stoops would be making a big mistake to exit what he is building unless he got a Jimbo type offer from a top program.....he is too close to breaking through in my opinion.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?