Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I'm touching the third rail.....Enforced Speed Limits?

I'm touching the third rail.....Enforced Speed Limits?

I follow the electric car market closely, which these days means mostly Tesla. So I see a lot of Tesla news articles. Periodically there are some that get me wondering. There was one about 5 years ago where a guy stole a Tesla from a dealer and was careening thru city streets at over 100 MPH before eventually crashing into another car, splitting in half, while killing himself and inuring 5 or 6 other innocent victims.

But this isn't really about Tesla or even electric cars in general (although there are a lot of electric cars coming on the market capable of really high speeds).

It's more about the future of Tech in cars and safety. These days with how smart cars are, and how advanced products like Google Maps are, I wonder why we can't simply put electronic governors on cars to limit their speed to 20 MPH over the posted speed? I can't imagine a scenario where you need to go more than 20 MPH over speed limit.

These days cars are almost considered computers on wheels, it should be pretty easy to implement.

On a non-compulsory basis, if I was an insurance company, I'd certainly be willing to offer discounts to drivers who agreed to limit speeds ever lower, like 10 MPH over the posted speeds.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm touching the third rail.....Enforced Speed Limits?

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...g-devices-work

There are telematic tracking devices that record various aspects of your driving. It’s an opt-in thing. Also is non-intrusive and doesn’t control your car in any way. Some insurance companies give you discounts for safe driving habits as recorded on these devices.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The only time I go more than 20 over is when passing on a two lane road. I find that a very uncomfortable situation and want to get back in my lane ASAP.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-21-2021),Revering4Blue (01-17-2021)

I find speeding tickets sillier and sillier.

We have the technology to nab every speeder out there (I don’t want this BTW) with cameras. It may take a few legal tweaks but if you want to stop speeding the tech is out there.

Instead we live in the antiquated world of cops hiding behind billboards with a radar gun selecting their target.

I don’t know what the right thing to do is as I can comfortably go 80-85 on an interstate and it’s nice to be in traffic roaring along.

7. Likes:

redhawkfish (01-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?